+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Need a way to authenticate a user to a share when logged in in Technical; This is the problem We have very restricted student accounts, and these work fine, except in Music, where they have ...

Thank Post

Need a way to authenticate a user to a share when logged in

This is the problem

We have very restricted student accounts, and these work fine, except in Music, where they have big problems with Cubase, Sibelius and Reason working properly

So to get round this I made them some seperate music accounts that are local admin and less restricted that can only be used on those machines. These work fine, except now students can only save to a 'communal' my documents which leads to problems as they want to save them in their own area and not have to worry about them being deleted.

So I need a way they can click a shortcut or something to the network drive and be asked to type in a username/password and then be able to browse to their normal my documents

I dont know a way though. I tried doing a shortcut with run as/run with different credentials but it doesnt seem to let you set that, its greyed out for a network shirtcut

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Re: Need a way to authenticate a user to a share when logged in

How about rather than having the users log in as local admin accounts you do this:

Create local power user on machine with long password
    Use vbrunas from:
    http://www.jdhitsolutions.com/resour...ts/vbrunas.txt to run the command to execute cubase etc...
    Create shortcut to .vbs file for students to click on.

This means they can log on as normal and have thier my documents available but the programs are run as local admin

Not very secure but may work for you.

Ben

Thank Post

can't you add the users in question to a seperate domain security group and then add this group to the local power users group on these music machines?

Thank Post

Can you not set up the 'communal' area with the relevant NTFS permissions to prevent work being deleted. That way they can save work to this 'communal' area, then when they log on with there own user accounts they can copy work from that area into their own home folders.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

It's not the software causing you problems it's the restricted user accounts. Instead of creating new local user accounts can you not alter the restricted user accounts with less restrictions.
    Also what about creating hash and path rules to the software to allow restricted users to be able to run them.

Just a suggestion.

Thank Post

Strangely it doesnt seem to be a problem with them not being local admin
    Ive already tried adding the domain students group to the local admin group and there was no difference
    It is probably something to do with certain C drive folders it needs to accesss or other restrictions in the GPO. Its impossible to track the problems down though because the music guys are unable to tell us the specific problems.

The idea about them copying stuff over from the communal area is good, but they have requested not to have students having to log on and off-

My latest idea is to have local accounts that are local admin, and have a shortcut to the network drive on there. When someone clicks on the shortcut, it will resquest credentials. They will then only be able to access their specific folder.

Not a perfect solution but they have so much custom stuff and they do so little work needing the internet, its probably best to have them virtually as standalone machines

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread