+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Blank Student Screens from teacher's desktop in Technical; Have you ever used netop... that is rubbish, we wanted something like netop that was really easy to use and ...
    Thank Post

Re: Blank Student Screens from teacher's desktop

Have you ever used netop... that is rubbish, we wanted something like netop that was really easy to use and didnt take much setting up, as teachers are so lazy, they like to have everything set up for them.
    @mark: We have nearly 250 student computers, plus we are expecting to expand again soon and with about 8 teacher machines. How much did you say it was per teacher and per student machine?

Thank Post

Re: Blank Student Screens from teacher's desktop

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    it was only £3400
    Guess I wont be using that one then.... hehe

thats about the amount of budget we get for IT each year lol
    but if you think about it, it might be cheaper, its a one off payment of £3400 for a full site license. You really need to work out if you are worth spending it on per machine or per site.

Thank Post
    I use italc, which does much the same as ranger remote control, but is free open source software, and works for and with other platforms as well as windows. It isn't the resource hog that ranger was (until we ditched it).

It does rely on properly set up DNS (whether in AD, or seperate). We had a lot of stale records as for some reason, when a machine changed IP, it often didn't remove the dynamic dns record it had before. I make sure the MS DNS scavanges regularly for old data.

Unlike Ranger remote control rather than just the machine name, italc also pulls the username down and displays that alongside (unless they updated ranger since).

http://italc.sourceforge.net

Teachers get access to the current ICT suite, and I get to remotely dial in to any machine in the school (it is great for simple maintenance).

Thank Post
    For this sort of thing I find LanView and its "Traffic Lights" system fantastic.

Teachers can block internet and blank screens for the rooms which they are have explicit control of as well as any room which they log in to. All through a very simple applet that shows on login.

In the background we have it scheduled switch on and off for all our machines. We can also remotely watch or take control of machines. As well as a few other nifty other features - AutoLogin a whole suite room, Group Policy update, Send Message to room...

Extremely versatile software and free as well, I would find it hard to justify spending £££s on software when LanView is so good.

iTalc has a lovely interface and some really nice features (Show teacher machine to class, show student machine to class, etc.) However, I found it was resource hungry on the server machine.

since I tried iTalc it's moved up a version to 1.0.4 and I haven't used that yet so not sure what improvements that has brought. Also documentation is still thin on the ground and/or German.

If/When iTalc matures I think it'll be a great Network Management and T&L application but still seems a little raw to me, as well as what seems like a rather slow development.

Thank Post
    Few of you mentioed AB Tutor above,

which is an extremely powerful program & absolute bargain compared to the prices of similar software.

Had a demo with the developer at Bett & was thoroughly impressed.

Thank Post
    We use Netsupport School..does a good job. 2 of our "Technician/IT staff designed" IT suites have the dual ring main for PCs and TFTs..now THAT works brilliantly. Hit the big red "doomsday" button, and off go the TFTFs.

This is why we're trying to get in on the design of the new academy IT suites...IT always design their own sites best, as they know what they need..heh..

Thank Post
    I'm using iTalc in a suite with my ICT Club - and it's working a treat. They still think it's cool though, so haven't started moaning about it... yet!

Seriously, though, it seems to work quite well. Occasionally it won't pick up a machine (usually if has been booted but not logged on) but I'm pretty impressed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Net Support Manager and Net Support School are the best out there, myself and Dos_Box would agree on that

Thank Post
    Synchroneyes is the best piece of software I've ever bought for our network I think

Thank Post

Errr in CC3

in know in cc3 you can have RM Tutor do this (and many other things) i believe it just stops signal to the screen.

for non cc3 networks i guess that NetSupport (which powers RM Tutor 3 and 4) would do exactly the same

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ABTutor here.

Thank Post
    At the secondary school we use Vision 6 (I've been having issues with the latest version though) and in the primarys I use iTalc.
    I think that out of all of the ones I've seen iTalc is best suited for teachers to use. It has a nice clean interface and doesn't give the teachers more power than I'd like them to have. If they added a feature which allows the 'master' to block a user's internet it'd be a perfect piece of software and I'd happily ditch vision for iTalc.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethain View Post
    I use italc, which does much the same as ranger remote control, but is free open source software, and works for and with other platforms as well as windows. It isn't the resource hog that ranger was (until we ditched it).

It does rely on properly set up DNS (whether in AD, or seperate). We had a lot of stale records as for some reason, when a machine changed IP, it often didn't remove the dynamic dns record it had before. I make sure the MS DNS scavanges regularly for old data.

Unlike Ranger remote control rather than just the machine name, italc also pulls the username down and displays that alongside (unless they updated ranger since).

http://italc.sourceforge.net

Teachers get access to the current ICT suite, and I get to remotely dial in to any machine in the school (it is great for simple maintenance).
    I've tried italc and miserably failed. It seems to have problems with its security keys it generates and registry entries when you try to uninstall it. Always says it cant verify the key for some reason.

Also had a nightmare getting it to work on a 2nd teacher console.

Also had 100% cpu managing 30 computers at once.

And it cant even add machines by name, needs the IP address which is dynamic and changes sometimes resulting in a loss of connection.

Not very good software imo, but I hope it improves because the interface and features are great.
    Last edited by zag; 27th February 2008 at 09:17 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12