+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Enforce Windows Classic Style in Technical; Just had another look and seems it operates on HKEY_current user. I remember struggling to change the setting for something ...
    Thank Post

Re: Enforce Windows Classic Style

Just had another look and seems it operates on HKEY_current user. I remember struggling to change the setting for something else on this key (worked for me, not for them), so I would be interested to know if you have any luck.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, the other way would be to create a new local user and set up the interface as required, then copy that user profile to the default user folder in documents and settings. Delete all existing user profiles, and when they next log in they will pick up the new default setting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The following will work as a machine startup script.

Code:
    sc config themes boot=disabled
    sc stop themes

Thank Post

Thanks Geoff, just stuck into another job at the moment but i'll be sure to give it a try later.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    ...the DA Client needs the "Everyone" group to be added to local admins group just to allow the damn thing to run...
    This is certainly not true, Marco. I'm not sure why this is the case for you, but I would recommend contacting Technical Support to find out why it may not be working otherwise.

One thing we promote with our product is the ability for the administrator to manage machines that the users do not have administrative access to.

Before I came to work for ScriptLogic I worked for a healthcare organization that we managed with Desktop Authority. Our users certainly weren't members of the local admins group. As a matter of fact, the computers were extremely locked down to the point that the users couldn't do a single thing that wasn't necessary for them to complete their work.

Again, if you are having an issue where the users need to be Admins on their machines for Desktop Authority to function, you certainly should call technical support and get that resolved.

The only real requirement that I can think of that is even remotely related to what you are talking about is that File and Printer sharing must be enabled on the client machine. That is true and must be enabled. Otherwise, though, you may have a misconfiguration that Technical Support should look in to.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way.

Regards,
    Jack Doyle, Systems Engineer
    ScriptLogic Corporation
    http://www.scriptlogic.com

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by marco84
    Can anyone tell me where i can find the reg key that i can change to enforce windows classic style for all users.
    Ive had a quick on google but couldnt come up with the right results.
    (Win XP Table Edition)!!!!

Thanks.
    The following will set it to classic, but will not FORCE it:

Set the following key: Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System

Set:

"SetVisualStyle"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Resources\\Themes\\ Windows Classic.theme"

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    ScriptLogic Corporation

Thank Post

Thanks for the info but i really need to force classic style. Other problems have arisen recently Jack that you may be able to help with.
    Can i use DA to hide all icons in the systems tray other than the clock? Im sure this can be done in group policy, but not sure how i would go about this using DA other than possibly using ADM templates.

Thanks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by marco84
    Thanks for the info but i really need to force classic style. Other problems have arisen recently Jack that you may be able to help with.
    Can i use DA to hide all icons in the systems tray other than the clock? Im sure this can be done in group policy, but not sure how i would go about this using DA other than possibly using ADM templates.

Thanks
    I don't see how you would be able to disable those tray icons unless the application that they represent supports it. However, if they do, it is likely a setting in the registry or something, which you can set with DA.

If you are referring to DA's own tray icons, I can help you with that.

DA has, I believe, at max, three tray icons, the DA Agent, the DA Remote Agent, and the USB/Port Security icon. If I am missing any, my apologies.

The DA Agent icon can be disabled in Global Options > Desktop Agent. The USB/Port security icon and the remote management icons can both be disabled in the actual elements where you deployed them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    ScriptLogic Corporation

Thank Post

To force your classic Windows style make this policy change in either Desktop Authority's Group Policy Templates element or in your own Group Policy Object:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display > Desktop Themes :: Load a specific visual style or force Windows Classic.

Regards,
    ScriptLogic Corporation

Thank Post

I did a little more researching for you. If you are talking about DA icons, I recommend what I already said. If you simply want to disable the tray, you can try the following registry hack. I'm not sure, though, if it disables the clock. I haven't tried it myself.

Hive: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \Explorer
    Name: NoTrayItemsDisplay
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1 (to hide)

Regards,
    ScriptLogic Corporation

Thank Post

Sorry to drag up an old post, I have a slight issue regarding deploying a Visual Style via GPO.

I am aware that you can enforce visual styles via GPO and I'm using the current policy to do so:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display > Desktop Theme

Now I've set it up currently to look at:

%windir%\resources\themes\luna\luna.msstyles

However, I would like to set students too the 'Metallic' and staff too 'Homestead'.

This is so staff can easily see when students have gained access using a staff logon account! (the little buggers)

Anybody have any idea on creating the olive.msstyles and silver.msstyles files?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12