+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, internal spamming of exchange in Technical; we run exchange. The kids have to have email accounts for some reason. All they use it for is spamming ...

Thank Post

internal spamming of exchange

we run exchange. The kids have to have email accounts for some reason.
    All they use it for is spamming each other. some times bullying.

Is there any way that we can stop them from emailing each other internally?

All they need is to send and recieve external emails.

we run exchg 2000

Thank Post

Re: internal spamming of exchange

i dont know of one, but you could always say to the kids that if any form of spamming or bullying is going on then we will remove your email account from you!!!
    Just out of interest, and totally off the point, how much space do you give kids and staff for their mailboxes?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by timbo343
    i dont know of one, but you could always say to the kids that if any form of spamming or bullying is going on then we will remove your email account from you!!!
    Just out of interest, and totally off the point, how much space do you give kids and staff for their mailboxes?
    we dont set a limit. we monitor the space being used. We never get an issue with space.

we cant monitor every email that they send to each other.

Thank Post

In the property sheet of the user account there is an Exchange tab that gives you another option called delivery restrictions.

You can specify "From everybody except"...

Problem is that you would be there for ages putting in the relevant entries.

If somebody knows a better way, I'm all ears as I have a similar problem.

*grrrrrr*

Thank Post

[quote="goodhead"]
    we cant monitor every email that they send to each other.
    I've been thinking that this might be the way to go, if somebody knows of such a solution???

Thank Post

oh ok, its just that we have got our mailboxes for staff.. kids dont have an email account, they use hotmail, but anyway, we have the sizes set to 15 mb and see how it goes from there. Its a lot easier to manage too, as its upto the user to delete emails and keep the storage down to a minimum.
    But going back to your original question... i dont know... Even if you did try to remove sending mail internally, you will still get kids probably sending the email so it goes outside then back in. IF you see what i mean.

Thank Post

oh ok, its just that we have got our mailboxes for staff.. kids dont have an email account, they use hotmail, but anyway, we have the sizes set to 15 mb and see how it goes from there. Its a lot easier to manage too, as its upto the user to delete emails and keep the storage down to a minimum.
    But going back to your original question... i dont know... Even if you did try to remove sending mail internally, you will still get kids probably sending the email so it goes outside then back in. IF you see what i mean.
    your right, hadn't thought of that.

What can happen is, a kid gets nasty email from a another kid. he then tells he parents. the parents complain to the school.
    Then falls on us to sort it out. In this case there maybe no good solution. That doesn't go well with the parent of the bullied kid.

Thank Post

well then, there are 2 options i think,
    1.remove the email address of the bully and disable them from the network.
    2. remove all kids email addresses, and then get them to use hotmail. Thats what we do and then its upto the kids to sort them selves out and if any bullying does go on then the parents can sort it out between them, as they are using an external source. Again, its down to the teacher to be monitoring what the kids are looking/typing on hotmail, i know of a few occasions where i have looked what kids are doing via lan view and some of the messages they send to each other... and sometimes you have trouble reading it as it is in text language (now i sound like a grump.)
    Also am supprised that the kids havent been emailing the teachers, that is what ours would do. We had a situation where a teacher let out his email to kids and they had a field day with threats but that was from a hotmail address, so a letter went home to the likey candidates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

We use Zimbra which filters spam for internal and external mail, we set up a word blacklist that prevents bullying by identifying keywords. The filter blocks the bad mail from being sent and sends it directly to administrators who informs head of year -usually resulting from a temporary account suspension.

Thank Post

We run exchange 2003 for internal use only for the kids, but get the same problems
    We have full mailbox journalling on so we can see every email that they send. but still they send crap - and 99% of it is in that bloody TXT speak :twisted: which makes it almost impossible to understand whats being said without an interpreter..

Again the problems arrise when we get a pupil who is spamming or bullying through the system

The only 2 solutions we have are:

Disable their Mailbox (ie delete there email address)
    or
    Disable the email system for everyone

I'm very keen to try and find a sort of "Sin Bin" add-on that we can use to temporarily disable their email without deleting them.

Thank Post

Filtering email for exchange would require software that examined the users mailboxes directly. Of course, if you have external filtering in place, and all you have to worry about is abuse internally, how about putting in place something like Policy Central from Forensic Software? It would cost about the same as internal mail filtering anyhow.

It sits on the graphics card and takes screen captures. That way you get the proof and it monitors the whole screen, not just email.

It's only as good as the behaviour policy and how it is enforced of course, but it places the descision back where it belongs, with the teachers.

Forensic Software

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    We run exchange 2003 for internal use only for the kids, but get the same problems
    We have full mailbox journalling on so we can see every email that they send. but still they send crap - and 99% of it is in that bloody TXT speak :twisted: which makes it almost impossible to understand whats being said without an interpreter..

Again the problems arrise when we get a pupil who is spamming or bullying through the system

The only 2 solutions we have are:

Disable their Mailbox (ie delete there email address)
    or
    Disable the email system for everyone

I'm very keen to try and find a sort of "Sin Bin" add-on that we can use to temporarily disable their email without deleting them.
    A type of "Sin Bin" system that we have used is to remove the ""self" rights on the user's mailbox. Go into the User using Active Directory on the Exchange Server itself. On the "Exchange Advanced" tab under mailbox rights, is a "self" option. If you just set that to deny all, the kid won't be able to access the mailbox at all, let alone send anymore messages.

Thank Post

As an add-on thought to my previous statement. When removing a students rights from their mailbox, I always found it benifical to change the user description to something that would alert me to the fact that it had been done. Lots of times scratching head why a user couldn't access their mailbox.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

2. remove all kids email addresses, and then get them to use hotmail. Thats what we do and then its upto the kids to sort them selves out and if any bullying does go on then the parents can sort it out between them, as they are using an external source.
    Sort of OT here, but I see your from North Yorks, do you use the new Bull ISP? If so your plan here will fall flat on its face in a month's time when access to Hotmail, Yahoo, Orange and other free webmail providers is blocked off for your own protection and safety.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    2. remove all kids email addresses, and then get them to use hotmail. Thats what we do and then its upto the kids to sort them selves out and if any bullying does go on then the parents can sort it out between them, as they are using an external source.
    Sort of OT here, but I see your from North Yorks, do you use the new Bull ISP? If so your plan here will fall flat on its face in a month's time when access to Hotmail, Yahoo, Orange and other free webmail providers is blocked off for your own protection and safety.
    Nah we are not on the LEA ISP, bull, we can do our own filtering and stable internet for half the price of what county charge, and set our own filter policies up so kids can hardly access anything....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast