+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, internal spamming of exchange in Technical; just a quick one on bulling and hotmail and this is law and why we now block hotmail. we log ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: internal spamming of exchange

just a quick one on bulling and hotmail and this is law and why we now block hotmail. we log everything via swgfl and a while ago a friend of mine daughter was getting bullyed at school. emails via hotmail. and police were involved. after checking headers ect ect of the email it was found that the email was sent during school time and from the school ip ( its then schools problem) it had to be investagated by the school as the hotmail addy in question was created in the school for the purpus of bullying. schools bulling policy met that it was liable. since this issue the school no longer allows hotmail yahoo or other webbased mail and has put them all back on block and students do have internal email and external email. as each email is lined to a student if and sent from in school it can be traced back to the student in question. tyhey can recive emails externaly but the are filtered. bulling just because its not using you system its still school proplem if sent during school time. (by the way i was suprised myself with the content on some of the emails that said student had recived ie i am going to fing and geffing kill you) i know this is extream but kids do it.

Thank Post

IMHO there is no way of effectively blocking bullying email using spam filters. They are too prone to false positives and errors. It's not just the yahoo, hotmail or gmail accounts. A lot of ISP's nowadays allow webmail accounts to be set up on the fly so just blocking hotmail, yahoo etc is a waste of energy (ok you stop those sites, but what about the rest?).

If you are going to be liable, as the case illustrated in previous posts, then you need to be sure you have solid audits, because prevention is a bit like willing the tide back out.

Yes you need to filter where possible, to stop the obvious stuff, but you also need to audit to catch the not so obvious. That means you, or the ISP have to be able to trace it back to an individual on a single machine.

Having something like Forensic or School Guardian is a big help.

We had an incident at one of our schools last summer. We got a phone call from an upset software manufacturer saying that someone from the school had sent in abusive text using an enquiry form on their site. They had traced it back to our firewall IP.

The network manager was able to look through the filter logs filtering on the web site, identify the PC, and within 10 minutes of the phone call a shocked young lad was before the deputy head with a copy of the screen shot. He admitted doing it. His shock was in getting caught! - needless to say spam is not a problem in that school.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    We run exchange 2003 for internal use only for the kids, but get the same problems
    We have full mailbox journalling on so we can see every email that they send. but still they send crap - and 99% of it is in that bloody TXT speak :twisted: which makes it almost impossible to understand whats being said without an interpreter..

Again the problems arrise when we get a pupil who is spamming or bullying through the system

The only 2 solutions we have are:

Disable their Mailbox (ie delete there email address)
    or
    Disable the email system for everyone

I'm very keen to try and find a sort of "Sin Bin" add-on that we can use to temporarily disable their email without deleting them.
    I use an additional group policy which has outlook.exe disabled. I just add the users or groups to the permissions of that policy.

Can you give any more details on this full mailbox journaling? Sounds interesting...

Thank Post

Have some of this:

http://msexchange.org/tutorials/Impl...ournaling.html

Very easy to do, but dont forget to use some sort of amount of days restriction or your space is going to get used up very quickly lol

I think I have it on 60 days [not that i ever look at it - I've got it enbled as a aftermath tool, as I'm sure reading other peoples emails without some legit reason i.e. abuse/misuse, etc., is illegal etc]

The Head of ICT decided to remove all the pupil email accounts due to some misuse taking place [minus the 6th form], but if there was a way to prevent internal sending of emails for a specific user group[s] then that would mean they could have them again for a legitimate reason

Regards
    Nath

Thank Post

This is my thoughts tarquel, Although we can shut down all the Exchange services, its a bind and screws up any Intranet-based emial systems.

Disabling the SELF user rights is a bind since it needs to be done on a per user basis , but at least it still keeps everyone else working.

TBH, it doesn't surprise me that M$ left such a useful facility out!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Disabling the SELF user rights is a bind since it needs to be done on a per user basis , but at least it still keeps everyone else working.
    Remember, that any repetitve task is almost certainly better done with scripting - there's an O'Reilly book called the Exchange Cookbook which is full of examples.
    TBH, it doesn't surprise me that M$ left such a useful facility out!
    I have to say that I am very surprised that anyone would imagine that a facility to stop users receiving email in an email system is a useful feature!! email systems send and receive email; turning that off on a global scale basically means it's no longer an email system!

As others have said, it's not really a technology problem. Kids have always bullied each other and no doubt always will. The fact that they now use text messages and emails instead of scrawled messages or whispering doesn't really change things. If anything, email makes it easier to deal with bullying. If I scribble "you die" and put it in someone's locker you can't really identify me. If I send an email (particularly from a controlled school system) then you know who it's from and can more easily deal with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12