+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Windows Thread, does any one else run a network at home with servers? in Technical; Originally Posted by Midget it'd make my mini-itx redundant. Which board/how much?...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: does any one else run a network at home with servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    it'd make my mini-itx redundant.
    Which board/how much?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey
    Hi - I'm thinking of doing a MythTV server/frontend set up - how do you find it? Is it doable without in depth Linux skills? I was looking at the KnoppMyth stuff which looked good.
    Cheers
    Sorry missed this.

If you're using Knoppmyth on i386 hardware, yes. Quite a few people have success with MythDora as well: http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/mythdo...all/howto.html

If you get those working with your hardware, you can then decide whether you want to faff around a bit more to add other shiny things. Once you get it set up as you want, back it up before you tweak.

The PVR Hardware database is worth reading for details of other peoples setups http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-view_articles.php.

Geexbox http://geexbox.org/en/index.html and minimyth http://www.linpvr.org/ are useful for creating diskless front-ends.

Mine runs on Ubuntu, stores stuff on another server and uses diskless clients as the "viewing" frontends. It was a pain to get going, but once set up I haven't had any problems. I wouldn't recommend trying to get all of that working without trying a simpler setup first.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    I assume its a fully useable debian install so i would be able to run bittorrent?
    A quick search says it's done ok with OpenSlug. There are a few different versions of Linux to choose from to make it what you want. I prefer the KISS approach, but admire those who make the slug do tricks you wouldn't believe!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    The only thing about NSLU2 is that I wouldn't trust a NAS with a single disk - but otherwise it is a great embedded device.
    It'll run at least 2 HDD and more is apparently possible, with backup between them as an option if you're paranoid about HDD failure (and we all should be!). 8)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

what's the throughput like on them? I can't image blistering speed from a usb hub

Thank Post

No, not blistering, but fine for a home network. Of course, if you're home is gigabit wired and all your PCs are moving Gb of data around it's not going to hack it, but as a general purpose box it fits the bill! Here's a website running on a slug: Byte Red - these things are great value for money and as simple or as complex as you want - great developer community, too! That's more than enough evangelising from me for now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've assembled some screenshots of Windows Home Server Beta 2 if anyone's interested.

Thank Post

I've got an NSLU2 as well. At the moment it is (only) functioning as :

net storage
    ssh server (great for tunnelling)
    mt-daapd server for streaming to itunes (all over house or down SSH tunnel)
    web server with php and perl
    mysql server
    dyndns updating script

The only catch is when something goes wrong and you have no keyboard or screen.

I've also got one at school running a small website with our RBC pointing an external ip address at it. Well worth a punt.

Thank Post

Finally had to put something together at home for testing, or Im never going to get a chance to finally retake my 70-291 or try anything new

Bigger sacrifice for me than most as I still live at home and only have my bedroom! This cupboard was previously the home of my stereo

Suppose it makes me fairly sad and it isnt really going to impress any visitors but it has to be done for a while

Heres the setup

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._1075Large.jpg

Got an old Intel switch and set it up with 2 VLANS, 1 "internal", 1 "external"
    PC on the top is acting as an ISA server.
    2 DC's are the only other servers Ive got which are running on this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._1078Large.jpg

under my bed. Has 3Gb RAM so Im going to try to run most stuff virtually so this lot doesnt cause the electricity bill to rocket

Also, heres the main switches for my room and my media server. Most of the cables are just connected to points. Only a few PC's connected, rest are stuff like access points, games consoles (love my XBMC) and a print server

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._1074Large.jpg

Most of the points are behind the bed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._1073Large.jpg

And finally my desk is fairly clutter free (just a bit messy). When I come homeall I want to do on my laptop is listen to music and surf, so the less crap around the better

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._1077Large.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't want to spoil your fun, but might it be easier to do this with virtual servers? Both VMWare and Microsoft have free products which make life much easier and give you more space in your bedroom to do bedroom type things :-)

Thank Post

I am doing it all virtually, apart from the ISA server. Can probably get around 6 servers virtualised on the machine under the bed

Still need the switch to connect it all up and the monitor to well, monitor it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    What do you use for your server software? I set up a test server using the server 2003 disk from school, used it for a weekend to test something then wiped the disk clean, would love a permanent setup to try things at home first but can't afford the os cost.
    You can download 120 day eval version of MS Server software from their web site - that should give you a good amount of time to play :-)

The other thing to look at is MSDN membership - it basically gives you all the "business" MS software so that you can learn it etc. I think the cheapest way to buy it is the MSDN Academic Alliance (about £500 per year but it allows you to use as many copies of all the servers etc for training purposes)

Thank Post

i havent really got a network
    just got a pc running 64bit ubuntu linux, its a 3200 64bit athlon, 1gb ddr400 ram, x800 gfx card 200gb hdd, 120gb hdd drive, all full.

im running a "server" its a P3 700mhz, 384mb of ram, X2 60GB IBM hard drives (80% capacity) its a ubuntu lamp server running bit tornado with torrent flux infront of it, Amule service (connect to that via remote front end) SSH, openvpn and samba.

1mb ADSL line, because i live so far away form the exchange from pipex, extremely slow Bit torrent/amule speeds all day less than 20k (with encryption!), picks up around 2am to 8am.

If i had some money id probably have some hench setup but alas i dont, im going traveling next week then to uni, so untill the second year il just have a standard pc, and maybe a nice shiny new 13" macbook

im thinking of making some kind of crazy server for uni as il be in halls and its in the center of london. based on a mini itx board with about 4 108mps wireless cards, 250gb sata drive, 500gb sata drive, Slackware distro connected to some "cantennas" to crack into networks to leech bandwidth while im in halls. hopefully il get about 20mps constant

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

2 x Windows Server 2003 Servers, DC, VPN, DHCP, File Server
    Asterisk Server
    24 Port Cisco Catalyst 2900 Switch

I got my windows licences from a skip (I'm full of class lol) ant i took them home. Installed Windows Server 2003 with a CD i got from a mate.

And at my friends who is a small ISP I have a Linux Web server what I do my hosting on and some for friends.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 5th July 2008 at 10:35 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345