+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, does any one else run a network at home with servers? in Technical; Gaming / Image editing box. T23 laptop Mythtv recording & encoding box ITX-based test server. House server - providing <provoke_envy>3TB ...

Thank Post

Re: does any one else run a network at home with servers?

Gaming / Image editing box.
    T23 laptop
    Mythtv recording & encoding box
    ITX-based test server.
    House server - providing <provoke_envy>3TB after raid</provoke_envy>, video storage for mythtv, music through Ampache and mpd, dhcp, dns, apache and home automation.

Power-wise it's not too bad - the server is always on and the mythtv box gets powered up by the server when it's got something to record. Otherwise, if I'm not using it it's off.

As I also use vmware server, I only need extra machines if there's a legitmate reason why something has to run 24/7 or needs specific hardware. (The gaming box runs vmware and is too noisy to run 24/7)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Used to have a full on NT4 system, then changed to a 2003 one with ISA etc, with a shuttle webserver for web development etc, but i've dismantled it all (mainly as the NT4 was too old - P1 166mhz), the 2003 box got broken for spare parts to fix various machines, but the shuttle is still here and does do some web serving when I need, it also gets used for an SMTP server when my ISP has some issues, which haven't happened in a long time

Thank Post

I've cobbled together bits...

One cast-off PC as a desktop used by daughter for homework playing on Habbo, a £7 wireless router that I forced the work lappy to talk to, a Roku Soundbridge music player thing (music currently on the desktop).

I'm trying to learn Ubunto so as to set-up a Linux server for files and music, on another pile of crud. Maybe one day I'll just buy a proper PC!

RATS! Strike through doesn't work here!

Thank Post

I junked the physical boxes and moved to VMs of a dual PIII in 2000. Vista aside that is still up to the job, but it's used by studious other half & 3yr-old tuxpainter so I now have a modestly priced C2Duo, 2GB, mirrored 250GB.

Occasionally run two or three from a dozen miscellaneous VMs for investigating geeky things, testing code/script, making MSIs etc. I use hosting for a domain & forum which is probably as cheap as the in-house electricity bills would be, plus I can't hear the fans.

The idea of lots of physical boxes in my home seems alien now.. for that matter so does finding a couple of terrabytes of TV I'd actually want to watch.

Thank Post

We have a network, but no servers. There's 4 of us sharing a house, and we each have a PC. One 4 port dell wireless router linking it all together (with a 4 port switch on the landing upstairs so I only had to run one wire up there for the guys upstairs) and telewest cable internet connection.

We often play networked games against each other over it, and of course we all have internet access (this was the main reason for doing it!) Just managed to buy a 160GB network drive so we've got some shared storage now as well.

I used to have quite an extensive network when I lived with my parents with the servers in my shed at the bottom of the garden (was surprisingly dry) Servers and cabling are still there, but not in use anymore.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by projector1
    Quote Originally Posted by edie209
    Your not the only one

2003R2 server RIS DHCP FILE/PRINT
    2000 server
    Red Hat Server DNS Firewall Content Filtering Intranet (sometimes a website)
    Media Server
    MCE PC
    CCTV Server
    Print Server
    XP Clients

I use group policies, Roaming profiles, The entire house is networked with Cat5e although I do have a wireless router setup for my PDA.

Its sad how we get so involved in our jobs, all the equipment has come 2nd hand along my career. To be honest I have loads of IT equipment I must sort it out and get rid of, things like Amiga 500, Spectrum 128, laser printers, unopened software NT4 workstation, Win95, XP Home etc etc my loft is full, and I must get rid of it soon because I should (fingers crossed) be in Oz in the next 6 - 8 months.
    let me know if you are selling the spectrum, i had one many years back and someone broke it, i still have the games and would love to test them out again!

also i would be interested in buying the xp home licence for an old p3 pc i have put together!
    And I'd be interested in the Amiga!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used to have one, no central server though. But then I moved and now I just use one computer. It is nice not to have to come home to fix problems with my home stuff too.

Thank Post

Yep got two networks here, first one for our PC's so PDC Server(does multimedia as well), Firewall (ipcop) have 2 computers connected to that one, makes it easy changing distro as all our work is on the server!!

The second network is a full rig of the karoshi project, so the same as I have at work. This is 5 computers acting as test servers, 3 laptops and our computers host 2 virtual clients or servers in vmware depending what we need.

Same as above entire house is wired gigabyte(the only room without is the toilet but that still has a cable going though it..lol), also have wireless but hardly gets used. 2 networked laser printers, one colour one black and white. All in a rack cabinet we got given free...lol.

We never need the radiator on in our second bedroom(computer room as we call it) as it is so warm thoughout the year!!

Jo

Thank Post

It seem a few of you are interestested in some of the bits and pieces I have, at the moment a large amount in in my loft packed away the older stuff anyway. So give me a couple weeks and I will get list together and if the the site admin is ok with it I will post it here then if you want something you can let me know, there is quite a bit of brand new gear that never got used too. You see I was freelance for a while and bought stuff then customers changed their minds or whatever, but things like wifi dongles cdr burners all sorts of stuff. One thing I did find last night having a quick look was a graphics tablet which must be A2 but it is serial driven cica 1996.

Anyway i will get a list together

Thank Post

I've got a MacBook.

On it I run Parallels Desktop (Virtualisation Software). Virtually running on my Mac I have 2 x 2003 servers, 1 x XP PC, 1 x Ubuntu PC. I can have them all running simultaneously if I allocate the memory right! Only got 1.25gb of physical RAM

Oh, I forgot the Vista VM I have too.

All sits nicely on one box, no need for lots of space and messy cables!

Thank Post

I have a network, but its not client/server as such, more peer to peer.

I have a "server" which is a custom built box with an AMD processor and 1GB RAM. I call this a server because it acts as a file server, printer server and internet gateway/firewall. It runs Ubuntu and has no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected as all administration on it is done via VNC, SSH and XDMCP. This is on 24/7 and is actually located downstairs hidden in the corner of my grans desk.

As user machines I have my own custom PC, my brothers laptop, my mums laptop, my grans laptop and the xbox 360. All of these machines run windows XP aside from my brothers laptop which runs Ubuntu (and not forgetting the xbox, dunno what that runs).

Our internet connection is 4mbp/s from Blueyonder, though it appears to be running like a dog for the last month or so, even my gran has noticed a speed decrease.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Network here 3 pc's, one mac and one laptop no server.

But have got an old machine laying here and just applied to test Microsoft Home Server. If get accepted onto that i am going to install it on to that machine and see what that looks like.

Russell

Thank Post

Well at the moment I'm in the university's halls of residence and servers arent allowed. So i've just got my PC which dual boots XP Pro and Debian.

Next year i'm moving into a rented house with three mates. My webserver will be moving in with us (Ubuntu Linux) and the house will be cabled (in true heath robinson style) using a standard Wifi cable router, a 24-port switch VLANed so that one VLAN is linked up to the router and the other VLAN is for PS2's when we want to play GT4 over LAN (as it requires that you dont have DHCP running) and an extra WiFi AP on the landing for better roaming on wifi devices.

The server will no doubt get music shoved on a SAMBA share and some kind of intranet type thing that links to shares on everyone's PC to access films / music that's not on the server. Something like that.

It should be obvious that it's a house full of geeks. One network engineer, one games programmer, one games designer and one applied ICT student.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Joedetic: 'An array of geeks'

That just sounds like an excuse for a 24/7 LAN party :P

Thank Post

webman, it would be if i enjoyed gaming lol...

I'm the guy you find sat up the corner at the lan parties who crept in to inspect the cables and switches etc...... I'm so cool.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast