+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Setting up standard help desk in Technical; Hi guys, I have basically set up a webpage to allow users to enter details into which then prints to ...

Thank Post

Setting up standard help desk

Hi guys,

I have basically set up a webpage to allow users to enter details into which then prints to a printer the only problem is I want it to print to the printer in our office but I don't want that printer to be shown at all times.

so basically i was thinking if i could run a script to add the printer print the page then remove the printer and i just can not get it to work as anyone got any ideas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You want it to print out every ticket? that seems awful wasteful....and mostly unnessecary

do you have a particular reason for this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Why don't you just setup a web-based helpdesk that has the function to email into - this is how we have it setup using Request tracker.
    I tend to find that teachers are more likely to email a helpdesk then open a webpage and fill out question forms

I agree with domino that printing every ticket is a big waste of paper/money

Thank Post
    yeh basicly the boss wants us logging everything an this seams the best way we can do it, its only going to be used by staff so wont be large amounts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Well most web helpdesks store all previous tickets - so you have everything logged - ours is setup to give the teachers. Take a look at it. It runs under apache and takes half hour to install and setup - probly alot quicker then custom building one!

Thank Post
    yeah - seems strange an IT dept wanting to use paper copies. surely you should be leading by example and trying to digitise everything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If its the setup that would concern you - why not look at sharepoint?

WSS is free with a windows server licence - and creating a helpdesk in it takes minutes, all Active Directory integrated and tidy.

Microsoft even provide a template to get you started Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 - Application Templates | TechNet

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the help guys I have decided to use spice works.

Thank Post
    we started using spiceworks at the start of term and it is quick to install and easy for users, can print a report for management when ever you need to or as i have let Head of It have access so she can see whats going on and a side affect its stopped 80% of stupid requests now the staff know a member of senoir management sees what they sent me

Thank Post
    Re spiceworks, i have looked at this, never installed it on a server as such, but on a clean dedicated workstation with dual IP ranges so it will detect all devices on the network. It just seemed to slow and clunky to be usable or am I doing something wrong?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Re spiceworks, i have looked at this, never installed it on a server as such, but on a clean dedicated workstation with dual IP ranges so it will detect all devices on the network. It just seemed to slow and clunky to be usable or am I doing something wrong?
    Version 5 is a lot quicker than previous ones, I also found when I had the e-mail not set up quite right it really slowed things down. 5 is a big step forward in functionality, and if the knowledgebase appears in 5.5 as promised I'll be one happy chappy!

Thank Post
    Version 5 is a a great update. i run our current production version in a VM on my admin machine (quad core/4gig/win7 64bit) with another VM for our library system (MLS.net) and it runs so much quicker than it used to.

Currently in the middle of setting up a clean install of Spiceworks in our spanking new network and have given it a dedicated hyper-v VM and i am very happy with its performance!!! (pre version 4 was really slow). might even get away without installing an external collector, although i'll see depending upon how it handles when we have all the devices up and running. built in password changing is a real win when you intergrate with AD (5 min job).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you looked at OP SmartDesk by OP Software? OP SmartDesk - Customer Support Made Easy.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    yeah - seems strange an IT dept wanting to use paper copies. surely you should be leading by example and trying to digitise everything.

We use Web Help Desk, java based, call-logging, asset-tracking, change management, reporting coming out the yin-yang, surveys, FAQ's, the list is almost endless.

Web Help Desk - Downloads

It was expensive but worth it.

Unfortunately, my Senior Tech, who's never used a call-logging system before (!) insists on staff logging calls for projector and AV support for assemblies and such, but then writes those calls down in a paper diary.

Is it any wonder I'm looking for a new job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread