+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, how to create a deployable java msi (based on r6 u22) in Technical; download the offline installer Java Downloads for All Operating Systems run installer manually and monitor the C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22 ...

Thank Post

how to create a deployable java msi (based on r6 u22)

download the offline installer Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

run installer manually and monitor the C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22 folder. When the installer asks you to install just shift it out the way and make a copy of the jre1.6.0_22 folder to another location (im using desktop as its there). Once copied you can cancel the install screen.

if you havnt already download/install orca (if you need to download its part of some other guge file from ms but can be found elsewhere as a standalone app (it also msi installs to clients happily if you so choose).

Go to your jre1.6.0_22 folder and right click the jre1.6.0_22.msi file and edit with orca.

In orca click transform new transform (that way anything you do is a separate file rather than directly editing the msi). Go to the property table and alter the following values standard values in () correct ones not

AUTOUPDATECHECK (1) 0
    EULA (0) (0) (leave this alone left as i set this wrong incase anyone needs to correct it
    iexplorer (0) 1
    JAVAUPDATE (1) 0
    JU (1) 0
    mozilla (0) 1
    systray (1) 0

then go back to the menus transform generate transform. Give your transform file a sensible name i usually call mine something like j6u22.mst.

test it on a pc

the options in the mst in order
    hide the eula
    make java active in internet explorer (default if you install manually dosent via pc msi)
    javaupdate/ju are supposed to stop it checking for updates but it still does
    mozzila makes java active in firefox (again if you dont use mozilla you can ignore but i set incase i ever decide i need firefox)
    systray again is supposed to hide the tray icon but is a bit hit and miss

I find its best to set your gpo to remove any bpreviusly installed version (if for no other reason than otherwise you end up in add remove with laods of versions of java listed i also dont do it as an upgrade as again ive found it can be iffy.

older versions 6 12-14 approximately BEFORE you remove them set a gpo to disable the javawebstart service or removal will fail and take a long time to fail

deployment is the same as any other go to the appropriate policy asssign it click advanced and give it a modification of your mst file

attached is my latest mst file

edit

seems to be displaying an eula first time i run a java web page so im back to testing

edit 2 fixed that now works happily and updated mst file attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sted; 19th October 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    To suppress the EULA, add the following property:

AgreeToLicense=Yes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    To suppress the EULA, add the following property:

AgreeToLicense=Yes
    or dont set eula to 1 im confuring it with some other bit of software leave it at default 0 it dosent nag

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    If you want to prevent the Java Quick Starter service from being installed in the first place, you may want to try my MST file (attached below). I have modified it to work with Update 22.

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    run installer manually and monitor the C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22 folder.
    On Windows 7 the MSI gets saved to: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_2 2 (rather than %APPDATA%\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22).

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    if you haven't already download/install Orca (if you need to download it's part of some other huge file from MS but can be found elsewhere as a standalone app).
    I know I have said this before, but InstEd is much better than Orca and a lot easier to find/download. For example, it has the ability to import .reg files into components, has row reference tracking (VERY useful when creating transforms) and doesn't create unnecessary UAC prompts when editing MSIs on Vista/7 (among other things).

To suppress the EULA, add the following property: AgreeToLicense=Yes
    Does this work in a transform, as this is a private property?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Does this work in a transform, as this is a private property?
    It certainly worked for me. My understanding is that private properties can be modified in transforms just fine, it's only when used directly on the command line that they are ignored.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    it's only when used directly on the command line that they are ignored.
    That's good to know. I thought it was something like that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread