+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows XP Not Logging Off in Technical; Hi, We are having trouble with one PC not logging off. Every other PC on the network is working fine. ...

Thank Post

Windows XP Not Logging Off

Hi,

We are having trouble with one PC not logging off. Every other PC on the network is working fine. The problem is, when you are logged in as a domain user, you can't log off. When you click log off, nothing happens and you are just brought back to the desktop.

Within a teacher account, they have the option to click restart, which does as advertised and restarts, but the log off does nothing.

The PC is fully updated with SP3. I have done a virus scan and found nothing.

Strange thing is, if I turn the PC off (by keeping the power button pressed), then boot it back up, I can login, then log off, but then when I log back in again with the same account to test it, the problem has returned.

Any ideas on this one?

Thank Post
    Do you have any sort of desktop control software installed? We used to have this issue with Sanako Study 300 if it wasn't set to start after network login.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    Do you have any sort of desktop control software installed? We used to have this issue with Sanako Study 300 if it wasn't set to start after network login.
    Wow, strange you should mention Sanako, as the affected PC is the teachers PC (Crossroad) for Sanako LAB 300.

Thank Post
    Has any aditional software been installed recently?
    You might find that some system process is blocking the shutdown (we had this happen to us with a custom made application some time ago) - if so go to task manager and systematicly stop anything thats running (besides normal windows processess) and try shutting down your PC then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Has any aditional software been installed recently?
    You might find that some system process is blocking the shutdown (we had this happen to us with a custom made application some time ago) - if so go to task manager and systematicly stop anything thats running (besides normal windows processess) and try shutting down your PC then.
    The only thing that has been installed recently is Media Assistant Duo for the Sanako LAB 300. When i'm logged in as an administrator, the PC log's off fine. It's when a teacher or student account is logged in when we experience this issue. unfortunately, we can't access task manager from either of these accounts.

I will un-install Media Assistant Solo although I don't really think it could be this. As this is the main PC for the LAB 300 I am a bit hesitent at doing a full rebuild but I may have no choice.

Thank Post
    I take it you have checked that Sanako doesn't start until after network login?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    I take it you have checked that Sanako doesn't start until after network login?
    When a user logs in, the background services (SOLID I think), starts up.

Thank Post
    I've just done a disc check which doesn't seem to have fixed anything, so I have now put the XP disc in to run through a repair of the windows installation.

Thank Post
    Well i've just done a repair using the XP disc and this didn't solve the problem either. Looks like i'm going to have to do a full rebuild, which is a pain as this PC is the crossroad for LAB 300.

Thank Post
    Did you try disenabling any applications (msconfig if it autostarts or otherwise)? - if its one of those and it installs the same way again you might just end up with the same problem.

Thank Post
    36degrees has solved it. I did have a quick check through the options within Sanako but didn't see anything. After taking another look i've found the option where you can set it to start after the network login. This has resolved the issue so thanks for that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread