+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Windows Thread, Admin rights to memory pens for encryption software in Technical; Hi, As subject says really, I have ordered in a load of memory pens which i need to apply administrator ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Admin rights to memory pens for encryption software

    Hi,

    As subject says really, I have ordered in a load of memory pens which i need to apply administrator rights for all logins to so that the built in encryption software can work. Is there a way around this?

    Cheers

    James

  2. #2
    Butuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,579
    Thank Post
    211
    Thanked 220 Times in 176 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    You could add a file hash rule in your software restrictions settings for the EXE that the mem stick encryption uses.

    As long as the version of the EXE on all memory sticks is the same this should work.

    As long as the exe does not actually install anything on the PC you shouldn't need any privileged access rights for staff.

    Butuz

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Its only restricted through GPO but can't see where?! It doesn't install anything but for some reason the software embedded into the pens needs admin rights

  4. #4

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,828
    Thank Post
    3,340
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    what encryption software we talking about here ??

    Free OFTE - and you can download from the same site as per below

    FreeOTFE

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    It's the Lexar JumpDrive Secure 2 encryption software. I don't want to install any software I want it to work natively on the pen so it work anywhere

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,079
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Rep Power
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    As long as the exe does not actually install anything on the PC you shouldn't need any privileged access rights for staff.
    Unfortunately the Lexar Secure II encryption software requires admin rights to install a driver (like TrueCrypt does). The driver is located in the "Data" folder on the flash drive.

    The FAQ also mentions this...

    Q: Can I run Secure II without admin privileges?
    A: You can run Secure II on a non-admin account. However, the Encrypted Vault feature requires admin privileges.

  7. Thanks to Arthur from:

    james14100 (18th October 2010)

  8. #7

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,193
    Thank Post
    875
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    781
    Not 100% if this will work but could be worth a go SeanDaniel.com - Home, Small Business Server and Related Technology: How to launch a program always elevated under Vista UAC should work the same even if you are still using XP.

  9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    james14100 (18th October 2010)

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Unfortunately the Lexar Secure II encryption software requires admin rights to install a driver (like TrueCrypt does). The driver is located in the "Data" folder on the flash drive.

    The FAQ also mentions this...
    Surely if I install that driver across the network then elsewhere it 'should' be fine?

  11. #9


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,079
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Rep Power
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by james14100 View Post
    Surely if I install that driver across the network then elsewhere it 'should' be fine?
    I don't see why not, although Lexar do not appear to provide an easy way to install the driver (LxrSII1d.sys) yourself.

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I've just tried this by creating an MSI to no avail. However the frustrating this is that any machine that I login via admin use it then try using a staff login it works. There must be a way around this :-/

  13. #11
    Azhibberd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Newbury,Berkshire
    Posts
    169
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    How about using an msi capture program? So catch it before and after installing the software... then you can see the changes that need to be deployed out?

  14. #12


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,079
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Rep Power
    798
    If it's anything like TrueCrypt, the Secure II driver and service will located somewhere under the following two registry keys. If you search for "LxrSII" I'm sure you will find the relevant bits.

    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root

    I don't have a Secure II flash drive myself so am unable to check, but it looks like it just needs the following four files to work (along with the registry settings above).

    Code:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\LxrSII1d.sys
    %SystemRoot%\System32\LxrSII1s.exe
    %SystemRoot%\System32\LxrSII1.dll
    %SystemRoot%\System32\LxrUnplug.exe

  15. Thanks to Arthur from:

    speckytecky (1st February 2011)

  16. #13
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,533
    Thank Post
    3,417
    Thanked 261 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    110
    Anyone tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If it's anything like TrueCrypt, the Secure II driver and service will located somewhere under the following two registry keys. If you search for "LxrSII" I'm sure you will find the relevant bits.

    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root

    I don't have a Secure II flash drive myself so am unable to check, but it looks like it just needs the following four files to work (along with the registry settings above).

    Code:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\LxrSII1d.sys
    %SystemRoot%\System32\LxrSII1s.exe
    %SystemRoot%\System32\LxrSII1.dll
    %SystemRoot%\System32\LxrUnplug.exe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th July 2008, 03:16 PM
  2. Logged in as admin, but no admin rights?
    By boomam in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12th March 2008, 03:56 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th December 2007, 07:12 PM
  4. USB Memory Pens causing PCs to restart
    By firefox_2006 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3rd May 2007, 08:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •