+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
Windows Thread, Disable Saving to Desktop? in Technical; Originally Posted by glennda We have 1 x print server (VM about 100 printers + papercut) 1 x Webprint (application ...
  1. #31
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    We have
    1 x print server (VM about 100 printers + papercut)
    1 x Webprint (application for papercut so students can print from personal laptops by uploading the document to the server and it prints on a specified printer)
    2 x DC's (1 vm one physical)
    2 x squid proxies using dansguardian for filter
    1 x squid proxy for own private internet connection
    2 x exchange servers physical machine
    1 x ISA firewall physical
    1 x file server holding all MSI's plus apps that run from server - around 180gb (old G4)
    1 x file server for staff and student shares - 200gb (g5)
    5 x file servers for staff and student data + profiles (all together loads!) mix of G4's - G5's and VM's
    1 x Samba file server for Media 350gb of videos across all depts
    1 x update server and AV
    1 x media streaming services server (for student radio station) (VM)
    1 x windows backup server (using backup exec 12 (12tb of storage uses 9gb on a monthly rotation other side of school)
    1 x ubuntu backup server running backuppc and Fog Deployment (a godsend try it if you dont already use it)
    1 x sims server (vm with 10gb or ram)
    1 x apache webserver for student site (old g4 of some small server)
    We also have a couple test servers plus the rest i cannot remember off the top of my head!
    vm the whole lot. my hosts run at 3% CPU all day every day. well maybe not at 7:40 more like 10% then.

  2. #32

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,799
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    vm the whole lot. my hosts run at 3% CPU all day every day. well maybe not at 7:40 more like 10% then.
    its the hard disk space we don't have and would run out of - our virtual hosts run at are 5% - we use KVM in the linux kernal as its quicker then esx and hopefully by next summer i will - how big is the SAN you have there?

    EDIT: rembered another server - Libary software which has its only sql database
    Last edited by glennda; 14th October 2010 at 09:09 PM.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,154
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 527 Times in 450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    don't really give a sh!t about that. fed up of 25gb profiles cause the monkeys saved a dvd on their desktop
    So redirect the desktop (we use a folder in their home directory) and set a quota on the home directory.

    Those who are sensible have files on the desktop, no slowdown at logon/off and everything is lovely.

    Those who are stupid and try and put huge files on the desktop hit the quota while they're trying to do it - no errors at log off which they don't read, don't understand etc and no stupidly huge profiles.

  4. #34

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,799
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    So redirect the desktop (we use a folder in their home directory) and set a quota on the home directory.

    Those who are sensible have files on the desktop, no slowdown at logon/off and everything is lovely.

    Those who are stupid and try and put huge files on the desktop hit the quota while they're trying to do it - no errors at log off which they don't read, don't understand etc and no stupidly huge profiles.
    To get back on topic I think you are going to have to setup some sort of folder redirection to get this to work otherwise you are going to hit errors or other problems

  5. #35
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    So redirect the desktop (we use a folder in their home directory) and set a quota on the home directory.

    Those who are sensible have files on the desktop, no slowdown at logon/off and everything is lovely.

    Those who are stupid and try and put huge files on the desktop hit the quota while they're trying to do it - no errors at log off which they don't read, don't understand etc and no stupidly huge profiles.
    i really don't want to use folder redirection, cause if you lose your network connection the machine hangs anytime you try to show the desktop,

  6. #36
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    To get back on topic I think you are going to have to setup some sort of folder redirection to get this to work otherwise you are going to hit errors or other problems
    nah i got a plan!

    i'll test it first and then tell you what it is!

  7. #37
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    we use KVM in the linux kernal as its quicker then esx
    very debatable have you actually stressed tested both with identical heavy workloads?

  8. #38

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,799
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    very debatable have you actually stressed tested both with identical heavy workloads?
    not me personally but if you look out on the interweb there are many comparisions out there - but my honest opinion is that it is quicker - I actually have a ESXI server which i use for testing that i have a seperate domain setup in - just becuase it has the features easily configurable for the switching etc

    have u moved to 2008/7 yet?

  9. #39
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    2008 / 2007 what?

    DC's 2008 R2
    FS's 2008 R2 new ones. old 2003 --> moving data over at the moment.
    Exchange 2010
    DPM 2010
    SIMS WIN2003/2008SQL
    ISA 2003
    WEBSITE ???? Can't remember whether 2008 one is live yet.
    other random stuff 2008R2 or 2003
    Last edited by oxide54; 14th October 2010 at 09:29 PM.

  10. #40

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,799
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    sorry 2008 server + any win 7 clients

  11. #41
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    no windoze 7, no thank you. not until the edu-tec machines are gone. the nvidia drivers are terrible

  12. #42

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,799
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    no windoze 7, no thank you. not until the edu-tec machines are gone. the nvidia drivers are terrible
    haha - luckily our worst machines will be replaced in the summer (ultra small form factor HP's - the ones that look like thin clients) hopefully with pretty good machines.

    we purchased 177 stone pc's this year - core I3's 4gb ram intel chipset so they will run win 7 fine - also the ones they got just before i left you where core 2 duo with 2gb ram - again easily run 7.

    you working half term or is the school shut? would be nice come see the place (plus i would like to look at the esx with the bolt ons!)

  13. #43
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    haha - luckily our worst machines will be replaced in the summer (ultra small form factor HP's - the ones that look like thin clients) hopefully with pretty good machines.

    we purchased 177 stone pc's this year - core I3's 4gb ram intel chipset so they will run win 7 fine - also the ones they got just before i left you where core 2 duo with 2gb ram - again easily run 7.

    you working half term or is the school shut? would be nice come see the place (plus i would like to look at the esx with the bolt ons!)
    yeh i should probably go in half term, considering I'm going to amsterdam for two weeks the week after!

    yeh come down, I'll tell the PO's not to let you in!!!!!!!!!!!! (only joking!0)

  14. #44

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,799
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    yeh i should probably go in half term, considering I'm going to amsterdam for two weeks the week after!

    yeh come down, I'll tell the PO's not to let you in!!!!!!!!!!!! (only joking!0)
    cool - i'm meant to be at work so just have to okay it with them but will come up - knowing them i could probly just walk in and they wouldn't bat an eyelid!

    Ill pop you an email next week to confirm - you still got the same email addy yeah?

  15. #45
    oxide54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    yeh emails the same or you can use just my first name @ the domain .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. disable right-click>set as desktop background
    By beeswax in forum Windows
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 29th March 2012, 04:35 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th July 2010, 11:36 AM
  3. Do you allow desktop saving?
    By TomStanley in forum Windows
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2nd July 2010, 07:11 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th June 2010, 03:48 PM
  5. Saving to Desktop
    By mmoseley in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 27th October 2007, 11:25 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •