+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Display Resolution Headache in Technical; (Sorry, not sure where to put this, and have tried to do a search) I have a weird problem that ...
    Thank Post

Display Resolution Headache

(Sorry, not sure where to put this, and have tried to do a search)

I have a weird problem that I think is being caused by a conflict between an Intel graphics driver and the built-in display settings.

New Toshiba Tecra laptop build. Resolution logged in as local admin defaults to 1366 x 768. ***Seemed to be the same for domain admin.*** Graphics adaptor is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD. Running XP Professional SP3 (XP downgrade supported by Toshiba).

***On further test, my memory is wrong - the domain admin is reset to 800 x 600 on first logon too.

However, hit a problem with ordinary users. When they log in, the display resets itself after log in to 800 x 600, which looks dreadful. Their profiles are mandatory. However, the display resolution seesm to be independent of this. I tried opening the Intel properties from the taskbar when logged in as pupil, and reset the resolution. Worked fine, and stayed after logoff. But I can't do this for all the pupil users! I've also found that the Intel properties are set to dual (clone) display.

Have tried the following:

Logged in as local admin, set the Intel Properties to single display and correct resolution. No effect on pupil user - still dual and 800 x 600.

Logged in as domain admin and did the same, with no effect.

Looked at trying to get second monitor set to correct resolution in display properties (not Intel) but wouldn't let me, and don't have a new enough external monitor to attach and play around with.

Seem to be going round in circles.

Anyone had this and can put me out of my misery?
    Last edited by Andie; 11th October 2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Mistake in post

Thank Post
    Ok, I have just gone back to base, as it were. I removed the laptop from the domain. Deleted all profiles except local admin. Set the Intel properties to single display (not dual clone). Checked the primary display in display properties is set to same resolution. Rejoined the domain. Logged in as domain admin. And after log in, the resolution has been reset to 800 x 600 and output is defaulting to dual clone display. AAAAAGGH!!!

Default user profile issue? I've built laptops before, and have never had this issue!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Lon shot, but might be worth a try.

When you've got nobody around logging in as the mandatory profile.

- convert the mandatory profile to roaming (rename ntuser.man to ntuser.dat)
    - create a test user using this profile that has admin privileges and put this user in AD "Users" well away from any group policies.
    - Login as this user and set the properties as required.
    - Logoff and let the profile copy back to your server.
    - Delete the local copy of the profile
    - make the profile mandatory (rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man)
    - Stick the user in an appropriate pupil OU
    - Trying logging in again.

Is it Ok now?

Thank Post
    id be tempted to use a user with mandatory profile and no login script(s) a user with no profile or script(s) see what happens (i had a win7 pc that kept loosing aero turned out the quick admin account i had re enabled had a qres command in the logon script that reset colour to 16 bit. A workaround might be to put qres on teh pc and add a script in all suer startup that resets res to standard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Lon shot, but might be worth a try.

When you've got nobody around logging in as the mandatory profile.

- convert the mandatory profile to roaming (rename ntuser.man to ntuser.dat)
    - create a test user using this profile that has admin privileges and put this user in AD "Users" well away from any group policies.
    - Login as this user and set the properties as required.
    - Logoff and let the profile copy back to your server.
    - Delete the local copy of the profile
    - make the profile mandatory (rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man)
    - Stick the user in an appropriate pupil OU
    - Trying logging in again.

Is it Ok now?
    Now I've tried the domain admin from clean profile, I don't think this is an issue with the mandatory profile. You may have missed my second post above, as posts sometimes overlap. But I removed the machine from the domain, removed all but the local admin profile, then set the display properly, then rejoined the domain, logged in as domain admin and the display reset itself to dual clone display and 800 x 600. Domain admin has local profile and no login scripts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    id be tempted to use a user with mandatory profile and no login script(s) a user with no profile or script(s) see what happens (i had a win7 pc that kept loosing aero turned out the quick admin account i had re enabled had a qres command in the logon script that reset colour to 16 bit. A workaround might be to put qres on teh pc and add a script in all suer startup that resets res to standard
    As above, it is happening to the domain admin as well on very first login, and domain admin has local profile and no login scripts. It doesn't seem to be an issue caused by the mandatory profile for pupil user or by a login script.

Thank Post
    Do you have this laptop hooked up to an external display? Mainly a projector that is wanting a 800X600 resolution?

** Sorry, just re-read your first post and you say you don't have an external monitor attached. Ignore this **
    Last edited by bladedanny; 11th October 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thank Post
    I wonder if the display resolution is being saved with the profile? some new Intel Feature? and if it doesn't detect one it defaults to a safe res. Search a good profile for an intel folder? Just a guess.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I wonder if the display resolution is being saved with the profile? some new Intel Feature? and if it doesn't detect one it defaults to a safe res. Search a good profile for an intel folder? Just a guess.
    If the profiles are mandatory the setting would reset each logon, but the resolution is staying after initially setting it.

If it's just one laptop that's the issue, as a work around I'd suggest the qres in startup folder idea.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    If the profiles are mandatory the setting would reset each logon, but the resolution is staying after initially setting it.

If it's just one laptop that's the issue, as a work around I'd suggest the qres in startup folder idea.
    This is one of 48, passed to me from our secondary school supplier to build ready for them to image for us. I am fed up with fiddling around now so am going to get this one swapped for one of the others. Hopefully either I've done something stupid on first setting up which I won't repeat or this machine is a freak and will be reimaged anyway. Hoepfully....!

Thank Post
    We have a number of new Toshiba Tecra A11 laptops and we also use a mandatory Windows 7 profile with them. The resolution is set to 1366x768 and all users get that resolution.

12. Thanks to Don__1 from:

Andie (11th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Logon as domain admin

rename the ntuser.man to ntuser.dat

There was mention of disabling the persistance value in the registry to disable the Intel graphics util in the sys tray but wondering if you follow the guide as per below

John Robbins' Blog : Getting Rid of the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Tray Crapware

Assuming the above works and the intel graphics util is not running in the background , use the display settings to set the default resolution and relevant settings

The other way is to ensure that both the intel util and the display settings both match up.

Clean the profile up ref run / search etc

rename the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man on the domain admin profile

Then log off and log in as local admin and over write the default user profile with the domain admin profile

Not sure if thats the best way to do it ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a thought - have you tried running updates from the Toshiba support site - I had a similar problem with some Fujitsu Siemens base units connected to Acer TFT's running the Fujitsu update sorted it for me.

Thank Post
    Ok folks. Thanks for your help. But I can't see how this is an issue with a mandatory profile, as domain admin doesn't have anything other than a local profile and doesn't have any login scripts either.

I have just hit the same issue with the second laptop and this time I know it isn't anything I'm doing. All I've done this time is install Sophos and then join the domain. I haven't fiddled with user accounts or installed any other software.

I am wondering if this is a particular issue with the XP downgrade. Toshiba offer this on this model, and as these 48 are joining Tecra A10s already with XP in classrooms, I decided to go for the downgrade this time.

This is the sequence of events:

Start machine and logged on as local administrative user
    Intel graphics options is set already to Single Display
    Intel display properties is set to resolution of 1366 x 768, which is max possible
    Windows display properties has primary monitor as Plug and Play Monitor with Intel graphics driver
    Windows display properties has resolution set to 1366 x 768, which is max possible

Installed AV software and joined the domain. Moved computer into correct OU. Logged in as domain administrator:
    After a few seconds of correct resolution, I get reset to 800 x 600
    Check Intel graphic options and it is now set to output to dual clone display
    Check Intel graphic properties and it is now set to both monitors set to 800 x 600
    Check Windows display properties and the primary monitor is no longer Plug and Play monitor, but is set to default monitor with Intel driver
    Windows display resolution is set to 800 x 600
    When I look at available resolutions in Windows and Intel properties, there are now a lot more resolutions available, beyond the previous max of 1366 x 768

I downloaded and installed the latest Intel graphics driver from the Toshiba website. No change.

I guess I am going to have to look at removing the Intel properties utility.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    There was mention of disabling the persistance value in the registry to disable the Intel graphics util in the sys tray but wondering if you follow the guide as per below

John Robbins' Blog : Getting Rid of the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Tray Crapware
    This is what I've found it to be in the past, with Intel graphics adaptors. I just remove the registry entries for the persistence module.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast