+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, server 2003-server 2003 r2 in Technical; ok here is the thing i want to do a fresh install of 2003 r2 on my server. is there ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

server 2003-server 2003 r2

ok here is the thing i want to do a fresh install of 2003 r2 on my server. is there a way i can use vm install r2 on the vm wait till the pdc updates r2 on the vm machine slow time transfer folders accross needed . back up r2 on the vm machine and then format computer removing all the other stuff not needed ( backing it up befor hand just in case) and then install r2 back fresh onto the server and update it with the saved back up from the vw server. will this work can you do a normal backup from a vmserver can anyone see any problems. the problem i have is the server has never had a fresh install of anything. its been updated from one machine to another and there are still bits of the origanal nt server on it where it has been updated and updated and then backup installed on another machine i want to start from fresh only want ad and some other stuff.

Thank Post

Re: server 2003-server 2003 r2

We need some comma's and full stops in there :P

And maybe a few capital letters

regards
    Simon

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

sorry i am dyslexic and not a typist and not a teacher and if you want to be funny there are a lot of spelling mistakes in there but i did not know that i had to get my dictonary and therosours out befor posting
    Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    ok here is the thing I want to do a fresh install of 2003 r2 on my server. Is there a way I can use VM to install r2 on the server wait till the PDC updates r2 on the VM machine slow time transfer folders across needed . Back up r2 on the VM machine and then format computer removing all the other stuff not needed ( backing it up befor hand just in case) and then install R2 back fresh onto the server as primary software and update it with the saved back up from the VM server. Will this work can you do a normal backup from a VM server can anyone see any problems. The problem i have is the server has never had a fresh install of anything. Its been updated from one machine to another and there are still bits of the origanal NT server on it where it has been updated and updated and then backup installed on another machine i want to start from fresh only want AD and some other stuff.
    i have edited the quote the best i can PS sorry if it is not upto english O level I can navagate ships correct charts repair computers manage servers but i cant spell or write very well but i can do Sin and Cos in my head (maths) work out adding hex in my head but i still cant write so i am sorry for this fact !!
    PS. only found out i was dyslexic when i was 23 people thought i was just crap at english.

Thank Post

Humblest Apologies ops: ops: ops:

regards

Simon

Thank Post

I don't know if the procedure to update a server to R2 would work but I think you'd be far better using another machine that bringing VM into the equation as well.

Could you temporarily use a classroom desktop machine with a big drive for the purpose?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i have thought of that but we are very short of pcs and the desktops are not man enough for the job also there is no way to back up the desktops as they have no tape/dvdwriters. I know i can update the 2003 to 2003 r2 but i want to do a clean install and introduce things back slowly all i want to keep is the ad layout
    PS sorry about the rant I was told i was thick all trough school and when i was 23 i was told the reason they did not pick it up was because I am good at hiding it In the words of the person testing me if i was thicker the would have tested me at school.

Thank Post

You can do what you want to do using a VM certainly. I use a similar method when doing migrations.

If its just AD stuff a 256 meg VM would be fine.

Thank Post

Maybe I've not got this

Have you got 2 (or more) servers?

Do you intend running the VM inside the 2nd server?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think what he wants to do is create a secondary domain controller within a vm, let that replicate, promote it to primary dc, wipe the old server and do a fresh install. Then reverse the process and re-promote the now clean server to be the primary dc.

All this could be done via a VM easily I reckon. Just make sure you have a backup of the disk image when you are going to wipe the server!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thats exalty what i want to do and i only have one server running 2003 i do have vm installed i want to transfer to 2003 without upgade option as i feel that if you do have problems ( i have lots) they get worse so a fresh install is needed and i dont want to have to create all the gpos and users ect ect. so i wondered if i could do what you said
    "localzuk"I think what he wants to do is create a secondary domain controller within a vm, let that replicate, promote it to primary dc, wipe the old server and do a fresh install. Then reverse the process and re-promote the now clean server to be the primary dc.
    if you have done it i know it can be done. I hate upgradding as it dont always work and tis way i can delete stuff and not put it back just keep it if i need to do put it back will free up some space as well.

Thank Post

Maybe I'm being really thick here (no comments from Colne or the Flyde please ) but how can you run a VM inside an machine - wipe the OS from the machine and still expect the VM to work ????????????

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries

The idea, I'm guessing, would be that the vm could be stored on a secondary drive or external drive, the c: drive wiped and then windows restored, vmware/vpc re-installed and the vm started up.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    Maybe I'm being really thick here (no comments from Colne or the Flyde please ) but how can you run a VM inside an machine - wipe the OS from the machine and still expect the VM to work ????????????

regards

Simon
    The temp DC will be a VM and so is hardware independant. It could be run from a desktop or laptop while the the exisiting physical server is taken off line and rebuilt.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread