+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, What is RM? Information Gathering in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What is RM? Information Gathering

Mods: Please move if in the wrong place

Hello Everyone,

I've been looking around the job market and have no experience of RM Networks which seems to have put me at a small disadvantage.
    I'm after any information about how 'RM Networks' work; as i understand it RM put a pretty layer over AD and various other base windows server functions (RIS\WDS etc) to make it easier; but Iím sure there is more to it than that!

I've also looked at the RM Certified Tech and NM course these seem like MS qualls. But using the RM layer.

Any input welcome.

Thanks .Adam

Thank Post
    You are correct, the RM components basically sit on top of Windows and Active Directory and act as an interface. For example where as you would add users through Active Directory with RM you use their front end.

To be fair, if you have experience of Windows networks and AD then getting your head around RM's weird and wonderful ways of doing things won't be too difficult. Just be aware that you sometimes the usual way of getting under the bonnet to get things done, so to speak, will be different on RM networks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    Mods: Please move if in the wrong place

Hello Everyone,

I've been looking around the job market and have no experience of RM Networks which seems to have put me at a small disadvantage.
    I'm after any information about how 'RM Networks' work; as i understand it RM put a pretty layer over AD and various other base windows server functions (RIS\WDS etc) to make it easier; but I’m sure there is more to it than that!

I've also looked at the RM Certified Tech and NM course these seem like MS qualls. But using the RM layer.

Any input welcome.

Thanks .Adam
    You missed out the silly prices they charge for doing that!

Seriously though, you have RM about right. They have many little packages that install on workstations, and a few bits here and there on the servers to make it easier to manage. My experience of it is that when it works properly, it makes life bliss. When it throws a hissy fit you might as well wave your nights and weekends good bye.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    I have the RM qualifications and they are not really like MS ones.
    Basically its a two day course (if I remember correctly) followed by a short exam, if you have a grasp of managing a network and a decent memory you will be fine.

Thank Post
    You are pretty much spot on with your assessment of how RM works. Pretty easy to get grips with - most schools with RM will have a support contract with them and you can also go on their training courses/technical seminars. Don't think it is worth doing the training beforehand as it would be pretty easy to manage an RM network if you have MS skills - though I suppose you have to convince propective schools of that. Also quite a few schools are going away from RM to standard MS networks.

Thank Post
    Don't think it is worth doing the training beforehand as it would be pretty easy to manage an RM network if you have MS skills
    Knowing a bit about RM will be helpful though. For example, if at the interview you get asked about the RMMC, LST etc a vacant face might not fill them with confidence.

Thank Post
    I'm sure schools around you would be willing to let you 'come and see' how it all works in the flesh. If not, how about getting RM out to do a demo (just tell them you are thinking of buying).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your input, very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Knowing a bit about RM will be helpful though. For example, if at the interview you get asked about the RMMC, LST etc a vacant face might not fill them with confidence.
    Is there any open access resources that I could grab or does RM have them all tied up like they have with thier Knowledge Library?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I'm sure schools around you would be willing to let you 'come and see' how it all works in the flesh. If not, how about getting RM out to do a demo (just tell them you are thinking of buying).
    I've done a visit to our sister (well brother) school who has RM, but the tech there didn't seam to get how it all worked which was useful

I don t really have the authority to get them to give me a demo...

Thank Post
    All the instruction guides are tied up but if you ask around, you might be able to lay your hands on them. Depends if it's CC3 or CC4 school you are going to or looking at going to as it differs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread