+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Folder Permissions Help Please in Technical; Dear all, I don't know if someone could shed some light on this for me or what I am doing ...

Thank Post

Folder Permissions Help Please

Dear all,

I don't know if someone could shed some light on this for me or what I am doing wrong, I have a folder structure set up as follows:

Top Level e.g. H: Drive
    THEN
    Folder e.g. Home Directories
    THEN
    Sub Folder(s) e.g. Staff, Students, Parents
    THEN
    Sub Folders(s) e.g. various specific accounts under the folders above.

How do I set the security permissions so that users can navigate their folders and have Read Write and Modify, but hide the folder structure above and also deny access to them.

** So ideally all users would see is their own folder, and have access only to their own folder. **

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Thank Post
    What I do on a windows server is create a folder called say Home Directories and share it giving everyone full control at the share level. Then create your sub folders staff students parents but do not mess with the default ntfs permissions. Then when you create users and specify their home directory location i.e \\server\Home Directories\parents\%username% it will automatically create the user area with the right permissions for that user. No other user should then be able to access that user directory
    Last edited by jsnetman; 29th September 2010 at 11:47 PM.

3. Thanks to jsnetman from:

dcjg7085 (30th September 2010)

Thank Post
    We already have the home directories set up within one shared folder e.g.

Top Level e.g. H: Drive
    THEN
    Folder e.g. Home Directories (Shared)
    THEN
    Sub Folder(s) e.g. Staff, Students, Parents
    THEN
    Sub Folders(s) e.g. various specific accounts under the folders above.

What permissions do I need to put in place on the domain users to allow them to access the Home Directories folder for Read access but not be able to see it or the immediate sub folders below it? I only want users to see their own area and yet at present if for example the extract a zip file and it asks them to browse the network then they can see all the directories above their own area, I want to stop this being the case.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    you need to use the advanced permissions and give whatever groups read/list on the folders but change the drop down to THIS FOLDER ONLY. (so our setup would be d:\users\staff / d:\users\2003 / d:\users\2004) i would have to add read this level only to the users folder and staff and 2003 etc (this seems to be nesescary for redirected docs as well even if they can get to their docs via their u drive)

ah sorry i dont think you can make other users invisible but they shouldnt be able to go into them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dcjg7085 View Post
    Dear all,
    How do I set the security permissions so that users can navigate their folders and have Read Write and Modify, but hide the folder structure above and also deny access to them.

** So ideally all users would see is their own folder, and have access only to their own folder. **
    How I would do it:

At the Staff/Students/Parents folder level you would need to break inheritance and copy permissions from above. Clear out any groups other than Administrators, System, Creator Owner, and Authenticated Users (alternatively the relevant user group for added security). Then select Authenticated Users, Advanced, highlight Authenticated Users in the permissions list, edit, Apply onto: This Folder Only. Any new home folder created within will have the user with full control, Administrators, System, and Creator Owner. Authenticated users will not apply to the individual home folder because of the advanced permissions setting.

If you want teachers to read-only on Students folders, add their group in at the Students level.

To stop people accessing stuff further up the root, Authenticated Users or their relevant groups should only need Traverse Folder rights on each affected folder as you go up the root, you can remove read and everything else. The setting is found on the same page where you set This Folder Only.
    Last edited by Busybub; 30th September 2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: clarification on traverse folder rights

7. Thanks to Busybub from:

dcjg7085 (4th October 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread