+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, How do you learn/revise? in Technical; Hi All I am probably right in guessing that most people here have taken a course or studies MS as ...

Thank Post

How do you learn/revise?

Hi All

I am probably right in guessing that most people here have taken a course or studies MS as some point. My question is, when it comes to revising for a course and performing practises, how do you do it without hands on?

For example I am currently studying for the 70-620 Vista exam (don't hate on me, work are paying and it's toward my MCITP:ESA). I want to do these practises properly but I don't have the Vista Ultimate media. I will soon need to work on Windows Server 2008 but also do not have access to this anywhere!

So how does one get hands on? I was going to try to use Vista Ultimate for the practises during it's trial period then delete it when finished but I cannot get hold of the DVD. I will never be able to get a Server 2008 DVD.

I could buy the operating systems but I only want to try them for about a week or so then I have no use for them.

Any advice appreciated (this is my first exam by the way, hence the n00bness).
    glennym

Thank Post
    Hi gl3nnym,
    Maybe if you get the Microsoft Virtual PC, (which is free), you may be able to find a .VHD of Vista from Microsoft, or a 30 day trial or something.
    Sorry can't be more helpful than that, it is what I would try to do.

3. Thanks to swhymark from:

gl3nnym (30th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Virtual machines all the way!

If work are paying towards a qualification, surely they appreciate you need to be able to practice on the OS, rather than just read about it? Have a nice word with the business manager.

5. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

Thank Post
    My plan is to run VMware off my laptop (which can happily run a few instances of XP) and have two or three trial Vista VM's setup. I would use this for maybe 1 or max 2 weeks then delete the files after I am done.

@swhymark Thanks. Microsoft do allow use of Vista for up to 30 days (I think) without activation. The only trouble is finding them! I am not willing to use torrents or go down the illegitimate route.

@ayatollahpies Thanks. Again I do want to use Virtual Machines but cannot find Vista to put on the buggers. The business manager was reluctant enough to pay for the qualification. If I ask him to shell out another 150 for Vista Ultimate he will probably have a stroke!

Thanks for the advice so far.

Thank Post
    Virtual machine with trial version, or get $work to pay for a Technet subscription (basically, access to most MS products for testing/evaluation/learning - keys and .iso downloads, plus two support incidents with MS). It's ~200 if you find a decent discount voucher.

8. Thanks to pete from:

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gl3nnym View Post
    So how does one get hands on? I was going to try to use Vista Ultimate for the practises during it's trial period then delete it when finished but I cannot get hold of the DVD. I will never be able to get a Server 2008 DVD.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Free 180-Day Trial

According to the info at the top of the page, VHDs are also available for download.

10. Thanks to ajs from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gl3nnym View Post
    Hi All

I am probably right in guessing that most people here have taken a course or studies MS as some point. My question is, when it comes to revising for a course and performing practises, how do you do it without hands on?

For example I am currently studying for the 70-620 Vista exam (don't hate on me, work are paying and it's toward my MCITP:ESA). I want to do these practises properly but I don't have the Vista Ultimate media. I will soon need to work on Windows Server 2008 but also do not have access to this anywhere!

I could buy the operating systems but I only want to try them for about a week or so then I have no use for them.

Any advice appreciated (this is my first exam by the way, hence the n00bness).
    glennym
    Ask your management to allow you to buy a single technet subscription ( 134 euros). This will give you access to all the Microsoft software you require with serial numbers for download.

Kili

12. Thanks to kili from:

Thank Post
    not tested the link sorry Vista

14. Thanks to busby from:

Thank Post
    Personally i'd go for the tech net plus, I bought it for myself just so i can test everything in a vm environment without any resrictions!

Thank Post
    With regards to TechNet. I have seen that the Pro version is 234 per year. Surely this does not grant me full use of ALL software seeing as Vista can go for 170 alone? Need to read more into it but this looks good.

Does anybody have a TechNet sub? Any good?

@ajs: Brilliant thank you! I will grab that for when I need it!
    @busby Will try the link, thanks!

I don't think work would fork out for a subscription for me but I suppose there is no stopping me getting it myself.

Thank Post
    TechNet gives you access to virtually all MS software for use within a test environment only. It's cheap as lots of people need access to various MS products so that they can test/play with them, and may not be able to afford full copies of everything. Do remember that the license is very restricted and you cannot use the software in a live/production environment

18. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    TechNet gives you access to virtually all MS software for use within a test environment only. It's cheap as lots of people need access to various MS products so that they can test/play with them, and may not be able to afford full copies of everything. Do remember that the license is very restricted and you cannot use the software in a live/production environment
    Thanks for the info. I am now looking at the Standard one as that lets me use the software I want e.g. Vista Ultimate and Server 2008. So I will be able to play with AD and GPO with the test version? I don't want anything for production, just testing as you mentioned.

Thank Post
    Your be able todo everything with it that you can do with a full copy, Just the restriction is your not allowed to use it in a production environment! Otherwise do as it as you wish

Thank Post
    Sorry to be a pain but I have just read this article:
    Microsoft secretly yanks TechNet product keys ? The Register

Does this mean I can only use a specific amount of software from TechNet? Of does this mean I can only use each bit of software so many times? I cannot find anything on MSTechNet.

Thanks Again

Thank Post
    Just means you can only activate the software so many times, so each os will come with x amount of liscences so you can only have x amount of live copies going in a test environment

23. Thanks to Azhibberd from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast