+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Administratively assigned offline files - subfolders in Technical; I'm trying to use the offline files GP setting Administratively assigned offline files for the start menu folder which is ...
    Thank Post

Administratively assigned offline files - subfolders

I'm trying to use the offline files GP setting Administratively assigned offline files for the start menu folder which is redirected to the server. It redirects the folders explicity stated fine, but I'd like it to make offline the folder \\server\shared\start menu and all subfolders. I've tried adding \* on the end, but this doesn't seem to work. Is there a setting or syntax I can use to do this? Thanks
    Mike

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    I'm trying to use the offline files GP setting Administratively assigned offline files for the start menu folder which is redirected to the server. It redirects the folders explicity stated fine, but I'd like it to make offline the folder \\server\shared\start menu and all subfolders. I've tried adding \* on the end, but this doesn't seem to work. Is there a setting or syntax I can use to do this? Thanks
    Mike
    Currently rejigging a few things so giving this thread the Lazarus treatment

I think you can sort this by going to the Comp Config > Admin Templates > Network > Offline Files > Subfolders always available offline

Unfortunately this then affects any other policies you may have which disable this...

Now to my bit...

I'm using a script to create academic year folders for each child at the beginning of the year. So I end up with a UNC folder like this:
    //server/data$/userfoo/individual/2008-09

I'd like to set the admin assigned offline files so that it has the Value Name:
    //server/data$/%username%/individual/2008-09

.. but I've no idea if this will work and be translated properly or if %username% will just get taken literally.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by contink; 9th March 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I'd like to set the admin assigned offline files so that it has the Value Name:
    //server/data$/%username%/individual/2008-09

.. but I've no idea if this will work and be translated properly or if %username% will just get taken literally.

Any ideas?
    Yes this will work, all of our administrativly assigned offline files are setup in this way and have worked fine for ages.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

contink (9th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Excellent... that's a definite help..

Ok, next question or request really...

Could you suggest a good set of extensions to avoid caching... I've already set things up so that mdb, zip, exe, wma, mp3, etc... aren't being cached but was wondering if there were any others I was missing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We just cache everything that is not an unsupported database file like MDB and PST. It is also reliant on offline files actually paying attention to this setting as I have had numerous instances where XP laptops simply would not apply the restrictions.

I try to make it support as much as possible so there is as little difference as possible, it just confuses/angers them when things don't work quite the same. We also tell the teachers to only log onto their laptops themselves and not to use the class account or another teachers account as it will slow the laptop down. This helpful behaviour is because XPs file sync will usually try and syncronize all offline files for all users that have used the laptop at logon and logoff. The only way to combat this is to rebuild the offline files cache after deleting the cached user profiles. Even if file security is right it does not stop the laptop from trying to do it. In this regard Vista's offline files are an order of magnitude better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread