+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, GPO to Block Specific executables in Technical; Morning all, We've got a staff member who has managed to install Firefox on one of our locked down workstations. ...

Thank Post

GPO to Block Specific executables

Morning all,

We've got a staff member who has managed to install Firefox on one of our locked down workstations. I wiped it off once, but just 10-15 minutes later, it was back. We use Ranger so it should be blocking it's installation, but after a look through his USB stick via RRC, I noticed two files which look like LanSchool disable scripts (Seems to kill "teacher.exe"?). My colleague said they could be normal files used by LanSchool, but I'm a bit of a security freak. We don't use LanSchool, but this staffer may have come from a school that was using it, and I'm concerned he may have Ranger disable scripts somewhere if he feels restricted by Ranger (we have workstations pretty well locked down).

This is a bit of a security issue for obvious reasons, that, and the staffer isn't following policy by filling out a change request and getting it cleared by my boss for it's installation. The PC is on a VLAN that has no direct access to the internet but has ISA's Firewall Client installed, so would not having the proxy option set, but be querying ISA directly using the firewall client get around the filtering WebMarshal does?

Finally, is there a blacklist for specific executables in Group Policy anywhere? There are all manner of programs installed on all of our workstations so want to avoid a whitelist-only approach if it's possible.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    You should be able to block the files using Group Policy, both with a hash rule and a path rule. I have .exe banned from USB drive letters (we use USBDLM to keep these consistent), you should also be able to block this file extension. Also, I have a Group Policy which sets the permissions on the C: and C:\Program Files directories to stop staff from installing software here, but doesn't stop software from working correctly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Firstly, what OS is the client? xp?
    You want to take a look at AppLocker (w7) and SRP
    SRP is xp+ (works on w7 too) and sounds like the ideal thing for you. You can specify UNC paths where exes are allowed to run from for example and put X/Z/F: *Disallowed* rules to block stick programs for example.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread