+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Google chrome ADM/ADMX in Technical; Just seen that google has released some GPO templates for chrome: Policy Templates - The Chromium Projects Source: Admin templates ...

Thank Post

Google chrome ADM/ADMX

Just seen that google has released some GPO templates for chrome:

Policy Templates - The Chromium Projects

Source: Admin templates for Google Chrome make it more enterprise-friendly

2. 9 Thanks to computer_expert:

Davit2005 (23rd November 2011), HodgeHi (27th September 2010), mrbios (21st November 2011), nephilim (25th September 2010), stevenlong1985 (21st November 2011), SYNACK (28th September 2010), tmcd35 (25th September 2010), zag (20th June 2011), Zoom7000 (5th July 2012)

Thank Post
    and there's msi installers for chrome and chrome frame now

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,770 Posts
    Some more links...

MSIs
    Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?msi=true
    ChromeFrame: http://www.google.com/chromeframe/eula.html?msi=true

Deploying Chrome Extensions
    http://code.google.com/chrome/extens...xtensions.html

Chromium Issue Tracker
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...bel:Enterprise
    This website is pretty useful for keeping track of the enterprise-related features that will be implemented in future versions of Chrome.

5. 7 Thanks to Arthur:

computer_expert (27th September 2010), HodgeHi (27th September 2010), jumpinjamez (16th January 2012), stevenlong1985 (21st November 2011), SYNACK (28th September 2010), zag (23rd September 2013), Zoom7000 (5th July 2012)

Thank Post
    I admit, this has always been one of the biggest reasons to not allow users choice when it comes to web browsers. Now that chrome allows this I'm considering the implications of allowing access to it..... The biggest issue now is support, i.e supporting two browsers is a bit of a pain.
    But as a user, It would suck to be locked to IE only.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this find, it will come in handy now I can manage things, I may consider rolling it out to certain areas.

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

Ive tried applying these policies but they just dont seem to apply, has anyone got a tutorial?
    I created a Group Policy for Terminal Server OU, and go to "Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Google -> Google Chrome" and configure it there but nothing gets applied.
    Last edited by BackCat3; 18th June 2011 at 07:50 PM.

Thank Post
    id suspect most chrome policies want applying to users rather than computers

Thank Post
    I put mine in User Configuration and they work OK there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I'm testing Chrome in my school right now and found a ton of great extensions to use but I've got a few questions about deploying them.

1. following the instructions linked above, how can you obtain a copy of the .crx file to place in a network share?
    2. a lot of extensions require you to sign in to add. will all students then be required to have a google account to use and/or the account used to download the extension, will that be associated with the app for the entire school? (e.g. if i use my personal google account will any of my personal info be saved in the extensions settings?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,770 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atamakosi View Post
    1. Following the instructions linked above, how can you obtain a copy of the .crx file to place in a network share?
    Prior to Google redesigning their extension website, it was really easy to download the CRXs. What you need to do now is this...

1. Go to the Chrome Web Store (in Chrome) and find the extension you want to download the CRX for. For the purposes of this example, I will be using the MixCloud extension.
    2. Copy the extension ID from the URL (highlighted in red below). This will be different for each extension.

Code:
      https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fdcenekolminfbkcbchinlcgfhpmggpk?hl=en-GB
    3. Open another web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox are fine, as long as it's not Chrome/Chromium) and paste the URL below into the address bar. Before you press enter, replace the underscores (highlighted in purple) with the extension ID you copied above.

Before
      Code:
      https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&x=id%3D_________%26uc
      After
      Code:
      https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&x=id%3Dfdcenekolminfbkcbchinlcgfhpmggpk%26uc
    4. Once you have replaced the text, press Enter and you will be prompted to download the CRX file.

* Credit goes to Wassim Guemri on the Chrome User Forums for finding this out.

Quote Originally Posted by atamakosi View Post
    2. A lot of extensions require you to sign in to add. Will all students then be required to have a Google account to use and/or the account used to download the extension, will that be associated with the app for the entire school?
    No.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

atamakosi (22nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Nice, i've not properly looked around the chrome apps before, tempted to roll this out to the languages department first and see if they like any of the language learning applications.

Thank Post
    This is somewhat annoying, i can't get chrome to work properly on a student account

I can tell the policies are applying, but when i load it up the home page sits on "loading..." and attempting to load any other pages just times out as well. frustrating.

EDIT: I'm yet to work out exactly which one it is, but one of the policies stops chrome work working properly, still trying to narrow down which one it is though, very annoying!

EDIT2: It's the setting "allow running plugins that are outdated"
    Last edited by mrbios; 21st November 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, Arthur, I've got the apps i've wanted and working off my network. Unfortunately, I still can't quite get the chrome policies to implement. I've tried in both Computer and User config but neither apply. Something I've still got to work on, I reckon.

Thank Post
    We are trying to get Google Chrome installed around the school, however we need to stop it from being able to look at the local drives (type c:/ into address bar and it displays the C drive, works for any mapped drive). Which policy do i need to alter?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tudorcrisp View Post
    We are trying to get Google Chrome installed around the school, however we need to stop it from being able to look at the local drives (type c:/ into address bar and it displays the C drive, works for any mapped drive). Which policy do i need to alter?

Thanks
    Is it possible to do with the "Disable URL protocol schemes" option? Add the file one into there? Not tried it myself.

Not a massive issue for me personally, they can't access other peoples user folders and can't run regedit or cmd prompt, leaves them little else they can do, and all the map drives students can see are ones they're allowed to anyway
    Last edited by mrbios; 23rd November 2011 at 01:31 PM.

19. Thanks to mrbios from:

sonofsanta (15th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast