+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Google chrome ADM/ADMX in Technical; Brilliant we have Chrome rolled out for admins now as requested I can roll it out to the 'Users' using ...
    Thank Post
    Brilliant we have Chrome rolled out for admins now as requested I can roll it out to the 'Users' using the ADM templates I can lock it down.

Excellent

Thank Post
    Am I the only one having issues with the policies themselves? I've tried for hours yesterday to get them to implement without any luck.

I originally created a gpo with the msi and the adm to test on a small group of pc's. Chrome installs so I know the GPO works but looking at the RSoP, it doesn't appear any of the adm policies are going in. I decided to split the adm off that gpo and test it in it's own policy but had no different results. I'm testing on XP SP3 from a Server 2008 DC. (I got desperate and tried from our 2008 R2 DC with no luck as well.)

any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by computer_expert View Post
    Just seen that google has released some GPO templates for chrome:

Policy Templates - The Chromium Projects

Source: Admin templates for Google Chrome make it more enterprise-friendly
    Was looking for ADM's the over day for Chrome considering Firefox and it's issues.

Thank Post
    I'm not having any luck with the ADM template either, just can't get it to apply.

Also an annoying windows pops up whenever you run chrome asking for you to choose your search engine, really annoying. Anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psbresner View Post
    I'm not having any luck with the ADM template either, just can't get it to apply.

Also an annoying windows pops up whenever you run chrome asking for you to choose your search engine, really annoying. Anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks

Paul
    You can sort that...via policy

Are all of you who can't get it to work using the ADM rather than the ADMX method? I'm using ADMX and it works fine.

Thank Post
    Yup, you have to set a default search engine on the ADM
    i.e for google UK

Default search provider search URL http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl&q={searchTerms}

Default search provider suggest URL http://www.google.co.uk/complete/search?ix=sea&client=chrome&hl=en-US&q={searchTerms}

Those of you having problems getting the ADM to work, you are using the msi deployable version ya?

I've got this working perfectly here now, deployed to every machine and students can even email us if they want it changing to their default browser (I have some wizzy GPO preferences set on a group for this)

Thank Post
    I am using the ADM template rather than the admx, I wasn't sure whether you could use admx with Windows XP.

I have indeed deployed the msi through gpo.

Thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    I'm also using the ADM as I'm rolling this out to XP machines. Maybe if my budget requests go through I can upgrade to Windows 7 but not there yet.

Like I've posted previously, I've deployed the msi through gpo just fine and was using the chrome adm templates on Users all in one policy to test on a small group of machines. Chrome installs but the policies aren't applied. I've tried several things to work around the problem or track it down but i'm not having any luck. It just refuses to recognize the chrome policies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psbresner View Post
    I am using the ADM template rather than the admx, I wasn't sure whether you could use admx with Windows XP.
    ADMX files do work for configuring Windows XP, though you have to input the settings on a Server 2008 machine or on Vista or 7 with the Remote Administration Pack. The features you are configuring have to be supported in XP of course. (Source: blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2008/12/17/questions-on-admx-in-windows-xp-and-windows-2003-environments.aspx (sorry can't do a link, too new )). I thought you needed to install an update, which appeared in WSUS a while ago, but that must have been just for Group Policy Preferences.

Thank Post
    I've switched over from the ADM to ADMX but the client machines are still not implementing the policies. The policies I'm trying to use are fairly simple so I don't believe it would be an issue of support in XP (make default browser, import data, etc.)

Thank Post
    Success! I've finally got the policies implementing correctly!

An update for anyone else that might run across the same issues, here is what worked for me. I'm running 2k8 on a virtual server for my dc and deploying Chrome 15 to Windows XP client machines. The only method that produced results with policies is to use the ADMX template in the Computer Configuration > Admin Templates. I initially stuck with setting the policies under User Config due to most other edugeekers seeming to have success that way. I was then able to lock down the policies, get my extensions working beautifully, etc. etc. I'm a very happy man right now.

The ADM template had no luck any which way I used it so just gonna throw that out with the trash. Thanks for everyone's posts!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atamakosi View Post
    The policies I'm trying to use are fairly simple so I don't believe it would be an issue of support in XP (make default browser, import data, etc.)
    Any Windows computer with Chrome should support the Chrome policies. My references to XP having to support the policy were (unnecessarily confusingly) about ADMX files for configuring Windows settings. For example, configuring the settings for Bitlocker obviously ain't gunna do much on XP.

Thank Post
    Hello all,

Does anyone know if you can redirect the bookmarks in chrome to the favourites folder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky2k3 View Post
    Hello all,

Does anyone know if you can redirect the bookmarks in chrome to the favourites folder?
    Good timing, I want to know this exact same thing. Had someone add a bookmark yesterday, logged in today and it's not saved, can't even work out what it's doing with them temporarily!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky2k3 View Post
    Does anyone know if you can redirect the bookmarks in Chrome to the favourites folder?
    Do you simply want to redirect the bookmarks file so that it isn't stored in the local AppData folder or do you want Chrome to be able to access IEs favourites like Firefox can with the PlainOldFavorites add-on?

As you probably know, Google Chrome stores your favourites in a JSON file called Bookmarks which is completely different to how Internet Explorer saves its favourites.

Code:
    "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast