+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Windows XP on HP COMPAQ 615 Laptop with CC3 - Page fault in Nonpaged area in Technical; hi people We have been running compaq 615's with xp for about 9 months. we have had no problems with ...
    Thank Post
    hi people

We have been running compaq 615's with xp for about 9 months.

we have had no problems with the false shutdowns or loops at all.

We did not use the downgrade media that came with the laptops but our usual install cd for xp then put the product key stuck on the laptop in, and load drivers from hp.com.

All i can think is maybe one of the dribvers on the downgrade media cd is causing your issue, try an xp base cd then download the drivers from hp, if you can to eliminate this.

just to point out, we are not CC3.

nick

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    hi people

We have been running compaq 615's with xp for about 9 months.

we have had no problems with the false shutdowns or loops at all.

We did not use the downgrade media that came with the laptops but our usual install cd for xp then put the product key stuck on the laptop in, and load drivers from hp.com.

All i can think is maybe one of the dribvers on the downgrade media cd is causing your issue, try an xp base cd then download the drivers from hp, if you can to eliminate this.

just to point out, we are not CC3.

nick

Hi bart21,

Thanks for letting us know, shame your not CC3, but we will try this right now and i will let you all know the results. We will try our own Windows XP SP2! disk and not SP3 then install the drivers from the HP Site.

Thank Post
    Right here we go,

We used the laptops Windows XP SP3 downgrade disk, then after that install we used the driver disk to install the Prerequisite Software, System Default Settings, HP Wireless Assistant and the HP Softare Updates on the Recommended Installs. Then on the Hardware enabling drivers, we un-ticked Bluetooth, VGA and Camera drivers and installed the rest it needed. So most important of all, we did not install the Video graphic drivers the laptop needs. After smartclienting the laptop and giving it a bad shutdown during the XP loading screen, it did not loop what so ever!!! However, we did another test on another laptop after smartclienting, I installed the Video graphic drivers from the driver disk and did a bad shutdown, it then caused a consistant loop. This tells us it's the Video drivers causing this problem.

Just don't install the Video drivers, leave it out. The laptop runs fine on 1024 x 768 resolution, however when scrolling down on an internet page for example, it does flicker on the screen. The kids will just have to put up with this.

So yeah, don't install the VGA drivers from disk, leave them out, and problem solved!
    Last edited by Richings110; 28th September 2010 at 10:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help Richings110 !!! one of my schools bought 8 of these compaq 615's and annother bought 4, and i also asked for the xp downgrade and they all had the same problem, i thought it was WDS originaly untill i built one from scratch and the same problem occured. does anyone know if HP have or will release a driver which doesnt screw the machine up?

Once again thanks!!!

Thank Post
    Just to bring up the thread again. We are getting a steady stream of these laptops back to be rebuilt (about 1 or two per day) and we are now doing it without the display drivers.

Will post with my findings.

Thank Post
    Hi all I am new to this but having a problem just loading XP on to my 615 using a XP pro disk that loads on to my PC's no problem ? I get the blue screen when it say's starting windows and get no further so I loaded XP on another drive on my PC up and running fine then remove it and put it in the 615 I thought great all don BUT NO the same blue screen .
    can any one help I just want XP on my 615 that came with win 7 on it I hate it .
    Cheers Pete

Thank Post
    If I remember correctly, you will need to downlaod the appropriate SATA drivers and slipstream those into a windows disk. It should then install correctly.

Thank Post
    Hi thank you I will try that and let all know if works OK .
    Cheers Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12