+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Sophos wont install on 3 laptops out of 20 in Technical; Hiya Everyone, We have just bought 20 new laptops as part of our network upgrade, and have installed the latest ...

Thank Post

Sophos wont install on 3 laptops out of 20

Hiya Everyone,

We have just bought 20 new laptops as part of our network upgrade, and have installed the latest version of Sophos.

they were origonally installed under our old version so after we had built them I began the process of install the new version of Sophos. I didnt hit any issue untill the last 3. First one installed the software but the says it hadnt reported its status back to the console, after lots of research I added exception in the firewall for ports 8192, 8193, 8194, and allowed the file routerNT.exe throuh the firewall (which apparently is the thing which reports status back)

the other two laptops just wont install at all even after making sure services are running again, adding exceptions, and various other thing I cant even get the installation to start. I have tried both manually installing from the command line at the client and from the console on all machines, and I still get the same results. I have even tried rebuilding one of them and its still doing the same thing.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP its doing my nut in.

Thank Post
    A couple of things to try -

Check Date and time on clients
    Can console server ping the client and vice versa - we've run into problems where the IP /DNS doesn't tally - do an ipconfig on the client and check the console is looking to the right IP

Thank Post
    have you tried running the remsav bat file on the 2 laptops and tried installing after that? I use remsav often and it seems to clear up most problems

Thank Post
    How did the time and date go?

Thank Post
    jjoe90: Time and date are fine on console and client.

Steve: Ip address's are correct and the client has the correct DNS address's, interestingly I can ping the console from the client, but not the client from the console, not sure what that means,I have a sophos exception on the server firewall.

I just dont understand how 20 identical laptop built with identical images and two fail.

Thank Post
    As a check, disable the firewall on the client to see if you can then contact it from the server.

Which OS is on the client / server?

Thank Post
    Server is 2008r2, and client is Windows 7, just turned off firewall ping now works from the server

Thank Post
    For a win 7 install we tend to disable the firewall on the client temporarily and I'm sure you've been enabling the remote registry service to get it on the others.

Hmmm........

You've gone through our common problems on install of sophos. Don't think I can be much more help from here, sounds like very specific issue. Sorry.

Best of luck with it!

Thank Post
    yep, iv been making sure all the services are started, its frustrating because its installed, just not managed in the console.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    I had to disable the firewall on the client to install sophos on some of my laptops

Thank Post
    Just had an hour long conversation with Sophos Tech made some headway, got it to install on all laptops now but, still wont report back, using process monitor iv found its a permissions issue, the domain admin doesn't have access to the c:\windows\installer folder or c:\program files\sophos or the reg key HKLM\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\services\ iv set the doman admin to have full write access so now it installs but still doesnt report back.

I dont think RMS is installing correct cause iv I run it individually it fails at starting services saying it doesnt have required permissions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Just had an hour long conversation with Sophos Tech made some headway, got it to install on all laptops now but, still wont report back, using process monitor iv found its a permissions issue, the domain admin doesn't have access to the c:\windows\installer folder or c:\program files\sophos or the reg key HKLM\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\services\ iv set the doman admin to have full write access so now it installs but still doesnt report back.

I dont think RMS is installing correct cause iv I run it individually it fails at starting services saying it doesnt have required permissions.
    What user is running that service?

Thank Post
    Iv sorted it, it was permission on the local machine which iv now sorted but, also the machine do appear in the console as managed, it was just that the unmanaged ones havnt disappeared, and they re-appear of you do find computers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You wouldnt happen to be issuing ip6 stuff at all?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread