Windows Thread, IIS 6 stopped working, IUSR account has no access in Technical; Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.
I'm in a huge pickle at the moment. Somehow something happened to one of ...
16th September 2010, 02:27 AM #1
IIS 6 stopped working, IUSR account has no access
Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.
I'm in a huge pickle at the moment. Somehow something happened to one of our web servers and I can't make it serve web pages as IUSR. I've always used the builtin IUSR account to serve websites from IIS and our other IIS server is working just fine. This one however doesn't want to show anything when the contents being published has IUSR as read/execute [I get a 404 page]. However, if I add everyone to the list, I can see contents from a web browser. I'd type more of a description but I'm frantically trying to get this web server back up. I need it running for tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I didn't provide much information at all. PHP was installed, but I uninstalled it in the mean time to remove any complications. I'm just trying to serve some HTML pages right now and even that seems to prove too difficult a task for IIS 6 to handle. I've tried a few means of resetting the IUSR account's password and trying things listed here and here but I'm not having much luck.
IDG Tech News
16th September 2010, 09:24 AM #2
Have you tried recreating it as sometimes it does get stroppy, I had this happen after a domain join because IIS had been installed before the domain join it messed with the password and permission setting wasting the account.
You could try this Recreating IIS IUSR_<machine name> and IWAM_<machine name> Accounts - Knowledge Base - TASKE Technology Inc.
IIS also keeps a record of what it thinks the password is and this can get out of sync so you could try this:
also worth a read:
You can set the IUSR Password using the following command: C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts>cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/anonymoususerpass “P@ssword”
You then need to sync it with this command: C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts>cscript.exe synciwam.vbs -v
Thanks to SYNACK from:
link470 (16th September 2010)
16th September 2010, 06:16 PM #3
Thanks for your reply! I managed to get the server up and running. At the moment, the permissions are Everyone read, which I'm not a fan of, but that's the only way it seems to work. The website is up and for the next few days it's critical to stay online so I'm not sure if I should make any tweaks. Ended up installing PHP 5.2.11 since I've had luck with that version especially on server 2008 even though this is a server 2003 box.
The other interesting thing is when I remove Everyone's permissions on the web root, I don't get a 403 or 401.x error, I get a 404. Just page cannot be found. Doesn't prompt for a password, just can't find the page.
The only thing now is it seems a bit slow serving PHP pages. Static HTML is no problem. But there's a lag [5 seconds or so] between pages for PHP [MySQL is installed locally, but these are PHP pages even that aren't using a database]. I'm using PHP-CGI, wondering if that may be an issue and if I should use FastCGI instead. I've never had luck getting ISAPI to work on Windows.
Wow...so that's interesting...
First off, here's the website in question:
I pulled an old IT site template I had made awhile back as a test and put it in the root under a folder IT-1, I gave it only IUSR read permissions. Then, I made a copy and called it IT-2, and I added Everyone as well as IUSR. Look at the difference.
Last edited by link470; 16th September 2010 at 06:50 PM.
16th September 2010, 07:18 PM #4
Are the two servers at the same patch level? i.e did one get the Black Tuesday IIS patch, but the other didn't?
16th September 2010, 07:33 PM #5
Yup, all servers have all updates as of this past Tuesday.
17th September 2010, 09:58 AM #6
- Rep Power
Location or permissions on the CSS?
17th September 2010, 09:32 PM #7
Shouldn't make a difference. For IT site templates for example, they're each exact copies of the IT template site root that I designed. One root [and propagated down] has permissions for everyone and IUSR, and the other has permissions for only IUSR. The IUSR one is the one that looks wrong. The only difference between the two directories is permissions, they have identical files.
Originally Posted by birchanger
By Clockworks in forum Windows
Last Post: 27th August 2010, 10:58 PM
By AlexB in forum Windows
Last Post: 16th March 2010, 11:56 AM
By Little-Miss in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 23rd June 2009, 12:38 PM
By KWestos in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 17th March 2009, 04:34 PM
By enjay in forum Hardware
Last Post: 17th June 2008, 04:42 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)