+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, login Script not working in Technical; Once you have logged in you can surf, ping and connect drives to your hearts content ! It's just the ...

Thank Post
    Once you have logged in you can surf, ping and connect drives to your hearts content !
    It's just the net use in the login script

M

Thank Post
    No, I take that back. If I try and map a drive once the failure has occurs it say my workstation service isn't running. Looking in the services shows it as stopped

What's killing it I wonder

M

Thank Post
    I know you moved your home dirs to a new server like i did but have you run the latest microsoft updates on the machines? we did in the summer and im wondering if this may be something to do with it? I may be barking up the wrong tree!!! Im going to reboot my 3 DCs in half an hour and ill see if that has any effect.

Ive also notice today that sometimes even a restart of the station doesn't sort it. it may even take about 4 or 5 restarts!!

Thank Post
    Don't bother restarting your servers - I did that Friday and it made no difference

I am now 99.9% certain it's the workstation service falling over
    I just don't know why - It could be set to just restart it but that
    wouldn't explain why

We are doing some new images with SP2, SP3 from the CD and SP2 upgraded to SP3
    It only started after we started using the SP3 install disk rather than using the SP2
    install disk and running the update

M

Thank Post
    with mine the workstation service is running but just isnt running the script!

Thank Post
    You say the workstation service is falling over, Is there anything in the event logs to show this? Never had this problem before tbh with you, And Techie "isnt running the script!" Does your batch script run then? Just can't find the correct Network share? Its not the firewall on the new server is it?

Thank Post
    It appears that the batch script for the students just doesn't run all the time. Ive tried the suggestion to alter the script to log an entry in C:\log but nothing appears.

Ive also made sure windows firewall was off on the new file server and it is.

Thank Post
    Are you using one of the replicated areas? Is so are you sure replication is working accross everywhere fine? i know one problem we hit once was that we enabled software restrictions to disallow all apart from a white list and the new server hadn't been added to the students white list

Thank Post
    The workstation service seems to die quietly. I've been through the event log and there is nothing. If I log in and out repeatedly ( sometimes it takes 20-30 )
    goes everything work fine then on the next login I get system error 67 and the services show that the workstation isn't running any more

I could just set it to restart on failure ( which works ) but it wouldn't get to the bottom of the issue and it would takes ages ( unless you know
    a way of pushing that change out via group policies )

M

Thank Post
    Ive tried 3 student logins on a pc and one of the student login always fails to apply the login script, so i think our situation may be user related. So the next thing im going to try is recreating the problem account.

Thank Post
    ive tried using the login script in the students GPO rather that in the user account of the problem student and it works. I dont fancy re-creating user accounts for all the students so i think im going to use this method. Why the users wont run the login script when its part of their account in the first place is still beyond me!

Thank Post
    Here's another weird one!! we had some of the usual instances where some of the students didn't get the student share (as part of the login script) and then a few minutes later it just appeared!! Were are now getting some cases of some studnets not even getting internet access. then after say 5 or 10 minutes it will kick in. Again this only happens for a handfull of students.

This is starting to drive me crazy!

Thank Post
    Using the login script in the gpo and removing the batch file from the users account works fine and users now get the mapped drives.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12