+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Exchange 2010- User Area Access in Technical; I've just had a call from a school I helped out at several months back, and recommend that they install ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exchange 2010- User Area Access

I've just had a call from a school I helped out at several months back, and recommend that they install Exchange 2007 for staff email and access to their user areas remotely. In the mean time Exchange 2010 had arrived and tehy installed that. As they (and recently I) have found out that Microsoft have removed the feature that allowed you to map a link to their user area via OWA.
    What I want, and indeed, need to know is wether there is a hack to re-eanble this, or an alternative solution for remotely accessing user areas (preferably for free) and files. I have suggested Sharepoint, but this seems OTT for what is required. They are using Server 2008 R2. Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I've just had a call from a school I helped out at several months back, and recommend that they install Exchange 2007 for staff email and access to their user areas remotely. In the mean time Exchange 2010 had arrived and tehy installed that. As they (and recently I) have found out that Microsoft have removed the feature that allowed you to map a link to their user area via OWA.
    What I want, and indeed, need to know is wether there is a hack to re-eanble this, or an alternative solution for remotely accessing user areas (preferably for free) and files. I have suggested Sharepoint, but this seems OTT for what is required. They are using Server 2008 R2. Any suggestions?
    Its been removed. No hack to reenable.

We use UAG2010, might be overkill also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yea, I was totally unimpressed by their move on this and said as much on the EXchange Team's Blog. I guess they weren't selling enough copies of sharepoint. On that note there may be a way to use sharepoint services 2010 to enable this kind of functionality.

The other probably easier and better idea would be to look at using the HAP ( http://www.edugeek.net/forums/web-de...cess-plus.html ) program that is being developed as this looks to have a really nice easy interface to enable this kind of interaction with user areas.

Thank Post
    We have IIS setup to provide WebDAV access to home folders for staff and students. Windows built in WebDAV is pants, so we use recommend BitKinex

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread