+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Windows Thread, Removing printers deployed by group policy in Technical; Hi, I am having a problem removing printers that are deployed to computers by group policy. When we remove them ...
  1. #1

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,940
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    447

    Removing printers deployed by group policy

    Hi,

    I am having a problem removing printers that are deployed to computers by group policy. When we remove them by either:

    A: Remove the printer in the print management console, like in this image
    B: when the computer is removed from the OU the policy is applied.

    The printer remains installed and the only away to remove them is by deleting Reg Keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurentControlSet\Control \Print\Connections\

    Does anyone know a way that they will automatically disappear when one of the above happens? I was thinking a startup script to empty the above area of the registry on every startup and then the printers will be then reinstalled on every startup. This solution is not ideal i would like something better.

    I am running Pushprinterconnections.exe on startup.

    This happens on our main network, my test environment and a community centre i look after.

    Does anyone have any input please?


    Our Setup:
    Doamin controllers: Windows Server 2008 R2
    Forest & Domain Function Level: Windows Server 2008 R2
    Print Server: Windows Server 2008 x32 SP2 (Compatibility reasons)
    Client OS: Windows XP Professional SP3
    Last edited by FN-GM; 26th August 2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Correction

  2. #2

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,661
    Thank Post
    901
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    I would consider using GPP (group policy preferences) to deploy printers as it gets rid of a lot of the issues. We use room type OU's for PC's and the users are under a different tree so I enabled loopback policies and then the relevant printers are install as per the room to the user.
    GPP also has a computer based action that can delete all IP based printers but I dont think that will do it exactly as you wanted but you could use GPP to remove the registry key?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    432
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I would consider using GPP (group policy preferences) to deploy printers as it gets rid of a lot of the issues. We use room type OU's for PC's and the users are under a different tree so I enabled loopback policies and then the relevant printers are install as per the room to the user.
    GPP also has a computer based action that can delete all IP based printers but I dont think that will do it exactly as you wanted but you could use GPP to remove the registry key?
    Hi ZeroHour,

    Are you solely using GPP to deploy printers? We have been trying (again) to get this working this summer, but it is randomly flakey (both in live and a test network). The main issue that we experience is that the Delete All printers doesn't seem to be working for us to remove one room's printers from the user's roaming profile when they login to another room. The end result being that users can have printers for multiple rooms.

    Have you experienced a similar issue? Do you use roaming profiles? Could you explain what setting you have applied with each printer.

    Thanks.

    Matt

  4. #4

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,661
    Thank Post
    901
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by saundersmatt View Post
    Hi ZeroHour,

    Are you solely using GPP to deploy printers? We have been trying (again) to get this working this summer, but it is randomly flakey (both in live and a test network). The main issue that we experience is that the Delete All printers doesn't seem to be working for us to remove one room's printers from the user's roaming profile when they login to another room. The end result being that users can have printers for multiple rooms.

    Have you experienced a similar issue? Do you use roaming profiles? Could you explain what setting you have applied with each printer.

    Thanks.

    Matt
    Its used pretty much 95% of the areas. We use user policy section and not the computer policy section along with loopback turned on which means they get room printers. I have a script that runs at log off that removes their printers and then when they log in I used the replace action to install the user printer.
    I have not noticed an issue yet so far but its early days for us (just moved to Windows 7)
    Yes we are roaming profiles.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    432
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Its used pretty much 95% of the areas. We use user policy section and not the computer policy section along with loopback turned on which means they get room printers. I have a script that runs at log off that removes their printers and then when they log in I used the replace action to install the user printer.
    I have not noticed an issue yet so far but its early days for us (just moved to Windows 7)
    Yes we are roaming profiles.
    Thanks for the response.

    We are doing a similar thing, have OU's per room with printers in the user policy section, loopback set to merge. We had been trying to do a delete all shared printer connections then create each printer. This would not reliably work every logon (but would if you ran a gpupdate?). Have now got a logon script that deletes printers via con2prt which seems infinately more reliable.

    Matt

  6. #6
    Cache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,214
    Thank Post
    454
    Thanked 176 Times in 173 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    64
    The way mine is set up at the moment is that the computers are allocated to a security group, there are then two preferences for each printer in the user section of the GPO. One which updates the printer if the computer is a member of that security group and one which deletes/removes the printer if the computer is not a member of the security group. The GPP is then applied to the User OU and, touch wood, hasn't caused a problem so far.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    GPP Printing - Students with Roaming Profiles

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Its used pretty much 95% of the areas. We use user policy section and not the computer policy section along with loopback turned on which means they get room printers. I have a script that runs at log off that removes their printers and then when they log in I used the replace action to install the user printer.
    I have not noticed an issue yet so far but its early days for us (just moved to Windows 7)
    Yes we are roaming profiles.

    Have been trying to get GPP printing over last few weeks for students using W7 with roaming profile. Have tried User Prefs and Deployed Printers. Prefs do not reliably map printers, also mapping are carried over in the user profile. Current Servers are 2003, tried updating drivers to same as on W7 client, also set up test 2008 server, using same drivers. Deployed Printers also carries mapping over in user profile, but printers are mapped reliably, currently trying to find script to delete deployed printers on logoff. Scenerio is that printers need to be mapped on an AD container basis, for students with roaming profiles. Is that the same as for yourself? Can you help? Thank you.

  8. #8

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,661
    Thank Post
    901
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseJ View Post
    Have been trying to get GPP printing over last few weeks for students using W7 with roaming profile. Have tried User Prefs and Deployed Printers. Prefs do not reliably map printers, also mapping are carried over in the user profile. Current Servers are 2003, tried updating drivers to same as on W7 client, also set up test 2008 server, using same drivers. Deployed Printers also carries mapping over in user profile, but printers are mapped reliably, currently trying to find script to delete deployed printers on logoff. Scenerio is that printers need to be mapped on an AD container basis, for students with roaming profiles. Is that the same as for yourself? Can you help? Thank you.
    What models of printer do you have most issues with?
    A LOT of the issues with GPP printers are driver related.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    GPP Printing

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    What models of printer do you have most issues with?
    A LOT of the issues with GPP printers are driver related.
    Models are HP Laserjets and Ricoh MFD's. 2008 test server set up yesterday has drivers from drivers included as standard by copying driver repository files over from W7 client. Have not yet tried GPP Prefs with this server/drivers, but all have deployed successfully via print management/deployed printers, but follow users roaming profile when out of scope. Which method of GPP printing do you use?

  10. #10
    Cache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,214
    Thank Post
    454
    Thanked 176 Times in 173 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseJ View Post
    Models are HP Laserjets and Ricoh MFD's. 2008 test server set up yesterday has drivers from drivers included as standard by copying driver repository files over from W7 client. Have not yet tried GPP Prefs with this server/drivers, but all have deployed successfully via print management/deployed printers, but follow users roaming profile when out of scope. Which method of GPP printing do you use?
    What you'll need to do to stop the printers following when it falls out of scope is have a delete line for the printer above the update line for the printer which has the condition set for it. That way the printer is removed from the profile and then if the criteria matches it's then connected again I think.

  11. #11
    badders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    170
    Thank Post
    44
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    We use GPP for all our network printers and have a delete line that is applied before the printers are reconnected depending on the targeting used. Been using it for XP for the last year with no problems, just about to move to W7 and so far that has been fine aswell using the same method.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Ditto - given an initial delete all net printers (one of those things that should make perfect sense with hindsight) GPP delivery has always worked fine for me.

    If that doesn't fix it then I would turn the relevant GPP logging/tracing policy on because that does produce useful information about what's happening when GPPs are applied.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    11
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello all,

    Sorry for digging up an old thread, I thought it made sense instead of creating a new one about a similar issue.

    We are having troubles with printers "following" our users.
    We are running a server 2008 R2 domain with Windows 7 clients.
    We have our networked printers deployed using Windows print management. They are deployed using the GPOs created from the print management console. These don't use GPPs. It creates an entry for the printer in Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Printer Connections > Path (e.g \\printsvr\HP Colour Laserjet CP2020 ROOMNAME). I think most of these are computer settings. The may be the odd user setting too.

    We have all of our USB printers shared via GPP. They are at the top level (each printer has it's own GPO) and use item level targeting to target the relevant users and computers.

    Reading this and a more recent thread, I understand that I can remove printers by creating a new printer GPP in an existing GPO and selecting the Delete option then selected "Delete all printers". I am assuming I'm best off adding this to every printer GPO I have already created and ordering them so the delete command is at the top of the list. Will this also work for the printer GPOs created using the print management console, or would I need to run a logoff script to remove these?
    Last edited by khoward; 7th October 2011 at 12:47 PM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi, We did investigate using the 'remove all network printers' option with GP. This worked, but however, we decided to use a powershell log off script to delete network printers connections applied just to students and not staff. If you use the GP option this will need to be applied before the GP to map connections, ie higher in the list in the same GP that maps, or in a higher level GP. If you want a copy of the script let me know.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    330
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    I had a similar issue that a certain printer appeared for everybody even though it was not listed to be deployed. I cannot remember what i did in the end to get rid of it but i'm sure it was something in the properties for the printer itself. As for removing printers on logoff, just use a script that runs on logoff as found in this thread Remove Printers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Group policy assigned printers problem
    By mrbios in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st April 2010, 03:32 PM
  2. Remove Software Deployed Through Group Policy
    By DaveP in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th November 2009, 02:56 PM
  3. Group Policy Removing software
    By Newton in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd October 2008, 01:50 PM
  4. Deploying printers via group policy
    By Southwell in forum Windows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 7th December 2007, 12:28 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 01:49 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •