+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Profile Registry Help in Technical; Hi There Ok I have made a New Mandatory Profile Things I done on this profile - Setup a new ...
    Thank Post

Profile Registry Help

Hi There

Ok I have made a New Mandatory Profile

Things I done on this profile

- Setup a new user called 'user' and do policys enabled
    - Configured Internet Explorer
    - Configured Windows Media Player
    - Configured the taskbar
    - Configured the start menu
    - Set a desktop background
    - Delete all the favorites
    - Hide the navigation menu
    - Set a screensaver
    - Lanched Office 2010 up so I could get rid of the microsoft update box that come up

I then used the windows enabler program to copy the profile, and the loaded the ntuser hive into the registry and then I have done a search for the username for settings tied to the actuall username

Can you give me some help to tell me what to do with all these settings please

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "Wallpaper"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Mi crosoft\\Windows\\Themes\\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg"

The path of the wallpaper I selected when I made the profile was C:\Wallpaper.bmp
    Can I change the link back to this? To I need to have it in jpg?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Inter net Explorer\LinksBar\ItemCache\0]
    "Path"="C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites\\Links\\Suggest ed Sites.url"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Inter net Explorer\LinksBar\ItemCache\1]
    "Path"="C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites\\Links\\Web Slice Gallery.url"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws\CurrentVersion\MCT\GB\Link\Links for United Kingdom]
    "C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites\\Links for United Kingdom\\Business Link - the site for business.url"=""
    "C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites\\Links for United Kingdom\\Directgov - the nation's official website.url"=""
    "C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites\\Links for United Kingdom\\NHS Choices - for health and social care.url"=""

Im gussing I can delete these item cache folders & the links for United Kingdom folder, has it only cache and these files dont exist because I deleted all the deafult favorites
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Inter net Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}]
    "SuggestionsURLFallback"="http://api.bing.com/qsml.aspx?query=...rket={language}"
    "FaviconURLFallback"="http://www.bing.com/favicon.ico"
    "DisplayName"="Bing"
    "URL"="{searchTerms} - Bing"
    "FaviconPath"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\LocalLow\ \Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Services\\search_{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Inter net Explorer\Suggested Sites]
    "SlicePath"="C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites\\Links\\Su ggested Sites.url"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Media Player\Preferences]
    "ObfuscatedSyncPlaylistsPath"="C:\\Users\\user\\Ap pData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Media Player\\Sync Playlists\\en-GB\\0383F799"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws\CurrentVersion\Themes]
    "CurrentTheme"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\M icrosoft\\Windows\\Themes\\Custom.theme"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws Media\WMSDK\Namespace]
    "LocalBase"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Micr osoft\\Windows Media\\12.0\\WMSDKNS.XML"
    "DTDFile"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Micros oft\\Windows Media\\12.0\\WMSDKNS.DTD"
    "LocalDelta"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Mic rosoft\\Windows Media\\12.0\\WMSDKNSD.XML"
    "RemoteDelta"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Mi crosoft\\Windows Media\\12.0\\WMSDKNSR.XML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Wow6432Node\Mic rosoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}]
    "Version"="6,1,7600,16385"
    "Locale"="*"
    "Username"="user"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Activ e Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}]
    "Version"="6,1,7600,16385"
    "Locale"="*"
    "Username"="user"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Offic e\Common\UserInfo]
    "Company"="The Ockendon School"
    "UserName"="User"
    "UserInitials"="U"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
    "AppData"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming"
    "Local AppData"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local"
    "My Video"="C:\\Users\\user\\Videos"
    "{1B3EA5DC-B587-4786-B4EF-BD1DC332AEAE}"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\ \Microsoft\\Windows\\Libraries"
    "My Pictures"="C:\\Users\\user\\Pictures"
    "Desktop"="C:\\Users\\user\\Desktop"
    "History"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Micros oft\\Windows\\History"
    "NetHood"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Micr osoft\\Windows\\Network Shortcuts"
    "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}"="C:\\Users\\user\\Contacts"
    "Cookies"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Micr osoft\\Windows\\Cookies"
    "Favorites"="C:\\Users\\user\\Favorites"
    "SendTo"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Micro soft\\Windows\\SendTo"
    "Start Menu"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsof t\\Windows\\Start Menu"
    "My Music"="C:\\Users\\user\\Music"
    "Programs"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Mic rosoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs"
    "Recent"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Micro soft\\Windows\\Recent"
    "CD Burning"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Microso ft\\Windows\\Burn\\Burn"
    "PrintHood"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Mi crosoft\\Windows\\Printer Shortcuts"
    "{7D1D3A04-DEBB-4115-95CF-2F29DA2920DA}"="C:\\Users\\user\\Searches"
    "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}"="C:\\Users\\user\\Downloads"
    "{A520A1A4-1780-4FF6-BD18-167343C5AF16}"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\LocalLow "
    "Startup"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Micr osoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup"
    "Administrative Tools"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microso ft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Administrative Tools"
    "Personal"="C:\\Users\\user\\Documents"
    "{BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968}"="C:\\Users\\user\\Links"
    "Cache"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Microsof t\\Windows\\Temporary Internet Files"
    "Templates"="C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Roaming\\Mi crosoft\\Windows\\Templates"
    "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}"="C:\\Users\\user\\Saved Games"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Gussing on the shell folders I'll have to do the same onto the user shell files?

Gussing change the location to the drive letter we have mapped for the students then of course what ever folder?

This way we shouldnt have to redirect anything through a gpo right?

Is there any need to redirect appdata would you say, or is it fine using the defaut appdata that on the computer already?

Many thanks in advance!

Hopefully this will sort out our serif webplus!

edit ok one more thing I would like to know

Im gussing when you set a gpo for student restrictions it changes the registry of the user logged in. Now is there any way that we could find out all the registrys keys and values, that get set from our restrictions gpo. If I could find out this, i could import them into the registry hive of the profile. To me it just seems pointness that evertime a user logs on it has to make all these changes everytime. But If it was built into the profile already, its doesnt need to do anything and may speed up logons a bit quicker has well. Thats if you understood what I just meant
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 22nd August 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added More

Thank Post
    bumppy

Thank Post
    Applying policies doesn't really take that long, and a GPO will be much more manageable. So while it doesn't hurt to have those settings in the mandatory profile (esp. if your users are good at bypassing group policy by yanking the network cable) you should still apply them in group policy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread