+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, roaming profiles with laptops in Technical; In one of my schools the server (2003) is set up with roaming profiles. As more and more staff are ...
    Thank Post

roaming profiles with laptops

In one of my schools the server (2003) is set up with roaming profiles. As more and more staff are having laptops and actually using them, problems are arising. If they log on at school on the network, roaming profile picked up ok, then off the network the window pops up to warn roaming profile not picked up etc. Some users are now reporting deleted folders reappearing, but no loss of data reported yet! Will redirecting my docs sort this out?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: roaming profiles with laptops

We have similar issues. I think the problem is that they are logged onto another workstation in the school. They log onto their laptops, delete stuff from the desktop/my docs/whatever, log off. In the meantime, there is another PC in the school still logged on with all the crap they wanted to remove. They log that off, it syncs the crap back to the server, they log onto their laptops and it reappears. You just need to hammer into them the need to be only logged onto one PC at once. Either that or tell them to use their network drives as storage rather than their profiles.

Thank Post

I was wondering if the problem was occurring when they logged on at home using their school logon and their roaming profile wasn't available, but isn't there a time stamp thingy that sorts that out?

Thank Post

Are you using Group Policies? If so then there is a setting to cut down the length of time that the message is displayed for to just a second or so and I can try and dig it out for you.

Thank Post

Found it anyway just in case - in GPO editor it is in

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles > Timeout for dialog boxes.

I have it enabled and set to one second so you can see it if you are troubleshooting but it is not there long enough for staff to really register / complain about.

Thank Post

No group policies, other than local machine eg don't show last user etc. The system was set up with roaming and mandatory for the pupils. it really bugs me because the other school I work in has group policies which I find much easier.

When I'm in there next I'm going to borrow a laptop and test it out, the trouble is I get so little time I have to be reactive rather than proactive.

Thank Post

I'd suggest using using group policies to enable local profiles with folder redirection and offline files on the laptops.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

one of the probs we have is that the teachers log on in the morning without plugging into the network and so the profile does not sycn and causes all sorts of problems its easy to sort by getting them to do a manual sync but untill they do it they cannot print and its my fault.

Thank Post

Here, I have set up all of our staff laptops up with local profiles only. In my experience, this causes the fewest problems with logon.

I also have group policies running scripts that setup the proxy at logon, remove it at logoff; map various network drives; load a little printer management interface i wrote so they can add printers from across the site; and a few other security bits and bobs like disabling access to the command prompt. On the whole tho, they have local admin rights for their own laptops.

I don't use offline files because when i have in the past i've had nothing but problems! They just save files in the local "my documents" folder, but they are all made aware that anything vital/important should be placed in their home network folder when at school to ensure it's backed up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

the problem with that if (i hope not ) the laptop crashes hd fails or any other component when you send it back under warentie the first thing most of these companys do is reformat laptop. then you lose all the teachers data and it is not backed up at least with roaming profiles the only data they will lose is since last logged into the network. and since docs backed onto the server they can use any spare laptop till theres is fixed or in may case i get them to use a desktop till i have sorted it. they can also use a desktop during ppa time if you need to install new software on there laptop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread