+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Visual Studio 2010 - SCCM in Technical; Hi all - I couldn't see a better forum for this so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Is ...
    Thank Post

Visual Studio 2010 - SCCM

Hi all - I couldn't see a better forum for this so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Is anyone deploying Visual Studio 2010 through SCCM? I've followed the MS instructions, but someone at MS just copied and pasted from the Office 2007 documentation and as such it's not correct. I'm having some issues with reboots, which anyone who uses SCCM will know is a problem...

.NET 4 is pushed out via WSUS so no worries there. The only prereq I need to get out before the install is MSI 4.5. I've made an SCCM program that points to the MSI 4.5 installer and told SCCM it'll reboot when it's done - so far this works.

My VS2010 installer program says run MSI 4.5 first, then run the VS2010 package. It seems to be failing with a 3015 error which means a reboot is pending, but I can't see a reboot happening and it shouldn't need one. As far as I can see, it works through all the non-reboot prereqs (Error Reporting, etc.) then just stops.

Anyone had any luck with this, or can they point me to a guide that is correct?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi
    I am looking at this too, are you sure that the pc is rebooting properly for msi 4.5? Are you deploying with SCCM controlling the reboot or are you using the switch for msi to reboot?
    That pre-req requires a reboot before installer will even continue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I am looking at this too, are you sure that the pc is rebooting properly for msi 4.5? Are you deploying with SCCM controlling the reboot or are you using the switch for msi to reboot?
    That pre-req requires a reboot before installer will even continue.
    I was letting MSI 4.5 handle the reboot and told SCCM it would do so - I let the install run after I left work yesterday so didn't actually see it do the reboot, I've got a VM open right now to have a look though!

I have successfully installed Visual Studio 2010 with SCCM before, but it didn't go out reliably and I'd see reports like:

Received: 30
    Program Errors: 22
    Program Success: 26

22 of the errors would be about the prereqs failing somewhere, and the 26 successes would be a mixture of prereqs or VS2010 succeeding and I'd have about 20 machines that actually worked properly. I'm hoping my new method will be more reliable, but we'll see. I've told SCCM to expect a reboot from the VS2010 installer so I'll try that.

I've got Office 2010 and Adobe CS5 working properly, just hoping to get VS2010 sorted before I try to take some time off...

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could you post the link to the guide you used?
    I sadly wont have the msi problem as I am deploying to w7 which comes with 4.5 installed.
    I suspect the reboots are not kicking in maybe.

Thank Post
    I sadly wont have the msi problem as I am deploying to w7 which comes with 4.5 installed.
    Lucky sod.

Here's the not-so-wonderful MS guide: How to: Deploy Visual Studio Using Microsoft System Configuration Manager (SCCM)

Before you take it as gospel, bear in mind wonders such as:

• "which in this example is \\SCCM\Office2007\Enterprise\Enterprise.WW\EnterpriseWW.msi"
    • Importing the same Windows Installer data to several different programs
    • Telling both the .NET 4 framework and VS2010 installer to run MSI 4.5 first, which I'm pretty sure won't work

See the comments at the bottom of that doc too.

I wish I could go back to MSI/GPO installs, SCCM really doesn't seem to be much of a step forward unless you're managing multiple sites over long distances.

Chris

Thank Post
    Soo... MSI 4.5 definitely triggers a reboot and you need to tell SCCM that (unless you're on Win7).

VS2010 also triggered a reboot (bearing in mind I deliberately left the /noreboot off the end of setup\setup.exe /q in my installer program) which you need to tell SCCM about. I'd rather it did a reboot and worked rather than trying to avoid a reboot and have lots of semi-dead installs.

The kind of bad news is as follows... SCCM is now reporting 2 programs started and 2 programs succeeded, but VS2010 isn't actually installed yet. As far as I can understand, this is what's happening:

Call the VS2010 Program - told to install MSI 4.5 first
    Call the MSI 4.5. Program, installs then reboots (SCCM is told it will reboot)
    MSI 4.5 now installed so the VS2010 program runs
    VS2010 installer goes through the other prerequisites (Error Reporting, VC++ 2008 Redist, VC++ 2010 Runtime) and then reboots
    (SCCM now assumes the install is done because it's had the two reboots it was expecting)
    Once the PC has finished rebooting, the VS2010 install continues and EDIT: continues with other prereqs!
    Okay - now I'm stuck - It finishes doing all the other prereqs, then stops. As far as I can gather VS2010 would now be ready to install, but it makes no attempt to do so

Yep - confirmed. Here's what running the setup now gives me:

In other words, my installer has done all the prereqs and VS2010 is ready to install. Next step is to add another program to the package to install VS2010... good times!

I'll update this post once I see whether VS2010 actually installs successfully - unfortunately I no have now way to monitor this through SCCM as the VS2010 installer is continuing by itself after the second reboot rather than being called by SCCM.

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 12th August 2010 at 11:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am just looking into options with appv for this as well although it could be a little big.

Thank Post
    Might end up being a better option, not something we've got the infrastructure set up for here though.

I see a problem with my plan, which was:

1) Install MSI 4.5 and reboot
    2) Call VS2010 installer which only does the pre-reqs and reboots halfway through
    3) Call VS2010 installer again and this time it'll install with no reboot

However, SCCM will think step 2 is done as soon as it reboots, whereas it actually continues after the reboot. It'll try step 3 straight after step 2 reboots, and fail because msiexec is busy with the rest of step 2.

Maybe... add the /norestart switch to step 2, then SCCM will really know when it's done? 50th time lucky...

EDIT: Nope, that don't work either. SCCM stops running the installer with a 3015 error (application want to perform a reboot, setup can't continue without it). From the eventlog I'd say it's just finished VC++ 2010 Runtime and now wants to reboot, even though I added the /norestart flag. Looks like that flag does stop the reboot, but setup won't continue without it.

Next step - try with the reboot allowed and see if msiexec handles the setup continuing afterwards. If that doesn't work, I try doing pre-req management myself.

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 12th August 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Thank Post
    So this worked (even though it shouldn't) on my test PC:

PROGRAMS

Program 1: Install MSI 4.5 (XP only)
    Command: WCU\MSI\WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe /quiet
    Run: Hidden
    After running: Program restarts computer

Program 2: Install VS2010 Prerequisites
    Command: setup\setup.exe /q
    After running: Program restarts computer
    Run another program first: Install MSI 4.5 (XP only)

Program 3: Install VS2010
    Command: setup\setup.exe /q
    After running: No action required
    Run another program first: Install VS2010 Prerequisites

In all cases, suppress program notifications.

PROCEDURE

Create an advertisement that calls the 'Install VS2010' program. The 'run another program first' will handle the dependencies and order.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS

'Install VS2010' is called, which calls 'Install VS2010 Prerequisites', which in turn calls 'Install MSI 4.5 (XP only)'.

Install MSI 4.5 (XP only) runs and installs MSI 4.5, then reboots.

After the reboot, Install VS2010 Prerequisites runs which calls the setup. This installs about 3 prerequisites, then reboots, then continues and installs the rest of the prerequisites.

Once all these prerequisites are finished, Install VS2010 runs and actually installs Visual Studio 2010 now that all the prerequisites are done. This takes quite a while for a full install and will write a lot to the event logs, but it does successfully install. It doesn't require a reboot and shouldn't perform one, even with /norestart missing from the command (now the prerequisites are done it has no reason to restart). The nice thing about this is that it will (should) leave you with 3 programs started and succeeded in SCCM.

Now to test this on a lot more machines.

Chris

10. Thanks to Duke from:

ZeroHour (12th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Just a follow-up, because this is doing my head in:

I advertise Office 2010, Adobe CS5, Visual Studio 2010 (in that order) to a PC.

O2010 installs... great, CS5 installs... great, VS2010 hangs... huh? I go through the logs and it's because the client cache is full, which is set at 5GB and cannot be modified nicely (only option is VBscripts). Packages remain in the cache for at least 24 hours, and will only remove after that if the space is required.

Seriously? I mean am I missing something here? Microsoft have made a product that I'm forced to use by various packages... and there is no clean and easy way for me to deploy lots of packages at once like I've always done with Group Policy Software Installations? Why do clients insist on trying to download the package anyway? I told them not to in the advertisement but they do anyway - never did with GPO installs and never had any problems!

If any long-term SMS or SCCM users can provide some insight here I'd be ever so grateful...

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Just a follow-up, because this is doing my head in:

I advertise Office 2010, Adobe CS5, Visual Studio 2010 (in that order) to a PC.

O2010 installs... great, CS5 installs... great, VS2010 hangs... huh? I go through the logs and it's because the client cache is full, which is set at 5GB and cannot be modified nicely (only option is VBscripts). Packages remain in the cache for at least 24 hours, and will only remove after that if the space is required.

Seriously? I mean am I missing something here? Microsoft have made a product that I'm forced to use by various packages... and there is no clean and easy way for me to deploy lots of packages at once like I've always done with Group Policy Software Installations? Why do clients insist on trying to download the package anyway? I told them not to in the advertisement but they do anyway - never did with GPO installs and never had any problems!

If any long-term SMS or SCCM users can provide some insight here I'd be ever so grateful...

Chris
    I never use the cache for advertisements. If you look at the Distribution Points tab in the advertisement properties you should see options to Run from distro point. Switch both options over and it wont preload before installing. NOTE: by default all advertisements are in this download mode.
    The only time I use distro points is for multicast builds otherwise everything runs from the unc/server direct.

13. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Duke (12th August 2010)

Thank Post
    I never use the cache for advertisements. If you look at the Distribution Points tab in the advertisement properties you should see options to Run from distro point. Switch both options over and it wont preload before installing. NOTE: by default all advertisements are in this download mode.
    The only time I use distro points is for multicast builds otherwise everything runs from the unc/server direct.
    Thanks I'll give this a go, although I'm sure I've been trying it already. I am correct in thinking there's no option to set this when you create the advertisement is there (other than unticking the bit about downloading from a protected DP)? Also, is there any way to change the default behaviour to 'run from distribution point' (I did look but couldn't find anything)?

I assume, if you're doing mandatory assignments, you just have to make sure you modify the properties of the advertisement before the mandatory schedule comes into effect, and hopefully at that point the clients will know to run it rather than download it when they pick up the advertisement?

Many thanks!
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No sadly there is no option when making a advert up, you must manually switch it back after creating.
    I just go into advertisements and switch them back after making the assignment. It takes a few mins before clients pick the adverts up so you have time as such to switch it.

16. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Duke (12th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

18. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Duke (12th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks mate, might have to give that a go.

This one's come in handy a few times, even if only to make the client log files more readable: Download details: System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Toolkit V2

EDIT: Yaaay, nothing in the cache folder so far and the Office install worked, hopefully the other two will as well and I get to have a holiday instead of spending another week with SCCM!
    Last edited by Duke; 12th August 2010 at 04:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast