+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Local Administrator Password Puzzle in Technical; Originally Posted by Andie But are you saying that if the person who set the machine up in the first ...

Thank Post

Re: Local Administrator Password Puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Andie
    But are you saying that if the person who set the machine up in the first case entered an Administrator's password for that machine, then the password in the sysprep file will not take effect?
    Correct. It can't reset the password unless it's blank.

And the sysprep/imaging will still work, but just won't reset the password?
    Yup.

So I would need to talk to the ICT provider who set the machine up in the first place to get hold of my Admin password?
    Or just reset the password to blank yourself before you sysprep the machine. Or reset the password to whatever you want before you sysprep and that's then your password, irrespective of whatever sysprep does.

Thank Post

Phew, thanks guys for your endless patience! I shall hopefully have my XP machines sorted out before half-term - yippee!

Thank Post

For those of you that like a happy ending:

I set aside Wednesday last week to begin resetting the admin passwords, still not knowing the currently set password, and still, despite all your reassurances, a bit anxious that I might just do something bad to a machine (only techie and currently no backup if things go wrong, you see).

Then I had a belated moment of inspiration on the Monday beforehand. I tried typing in password as the password, and (fanfare) it worked! So come Wednesday I could breathe easy and have now reset all my machines with a new local admin password the nice and safe way. Just have to edit the sysprep inf file to match the new password and everything will be as it should be.

No idea how the password got set to password. I didn't set the machines up in the first place, but the people who did asked me for the password I wanted to use and put that into the sysprep inf file for me, which is why I was very confused when it didn't work. But every cloud has a silver lining, and I now know a lot more about admin passwords and sysprep as a result of all your help! Thanks again!

Thank Post

@Andie: You need not be so worried about using the 'offline password reset' tools - there's one on UBCD that should do the trick.

The only problem that I have had is that it hasn't reset the password... run it again and it was fine... odd! It also works better using a blank password with the reset tools.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12