+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Need a new Mail Server - recommendations? in Technical; What do you guys use? We currently have IceWarp's Merak Mail Server 8.9 and looking to either upgrade it or ...

Thank Post

Need a new Mail Server - recommendations?

What do you guys use? We currently have IceWarp's Merak Mail Server 8.9 and looking to either upgrade it or migrate it to something else. Any recommendations? We host websites and sometimes the email for realestate companies (or regions of a company).

All we want is the mail server, nothing extra (such as VoIP, SMS, or IM) that would increase the cost.

Thank Post
    Have you looked at Live@Edu - free Exchange 2010 hosting for schools direct from Microsoft
    We use it and love it (well the features that our County Council like to let us use) and I'm sure many of the other posters on here would say the same

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I also recommend having a look at Live @ Edu you can also get a trial so you don't have to do it blind or anything. Very good service and you're pretty much always up to date on the latest version that was running exchange 2010 well before BETA

Failing that there are a few alternatives out there that i know are pretty common (more for staff than students) - Zimbra and Smarter Mail

Ben Nunney is your man at Microsoft if you have any questions regarding the LIVE @ Edu Service.

Thank Post
    I would but....we are a for-profit company. I didn't know this was a forum for IT people in the educational field only...

Thank Post
    As the OP is looking for a business solution I suspect the Live @ Edu product won't fit his needs.

Do your clients require webmail or do they connect from their own mail client over IMAP/POP/etc?

Is your existing deployment on Windows or Linux?

Zimbra is worth consideration but be aware it is quite heavy on resources and if you're looking to serve out a few thousand mailboxes on a basic server (couple of processors/4gb of ram job) you might be better considering something made up of Postfix/Courier IMAP(or Dovecot) and Squirrelmail/AtMail/Roundcube Webmail to suit.

Or you could consider Citadel Groupware but you don't want any collaboration tools so maybe not.

Tell us a bit more about your infrastructure, user numbers, etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockworks View Post
    I would but....we are a for-profit company. I didn't know this was a forum for IT people in the educational field only...
    You're welcome nonetheless, not all of us work in Education.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are using Google Apps. Its free to all users. we really happy with it.

Google Apps for Business | Official Website

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    As the OP is looking for a business solution I suspect the Live @ Edu product won't fit his needs.

Do your clients require webmail or do they connect from their own mail client over IMAP/POP/etc?

Is your existing deployment on Windows or Linux?

Zimbra is worth consideration but be aware it is quite heavy on resources and if you're looking to serve out a few thousand mailboxes on a basic server (couple of processors/4gb of ram job) you might be better considering something made up of Postfix/Courier IMAP(or Dovecot) and Squirrelmail/AtMail/Roundcube Webmail to suit.

Or you could consider Citadel Groupware but you don't want any collaboration tools so maybe not.

Tell us a bit more about your infrastructure, user numbers, etc.
    - It will be somewhat mixed but Outlook for the most part. As in, our clients use both and we use Outlook and nothing else.
    - Windows Server 03 and soon to be 08
    - About 200+ users but we are expanding in terms of company size and clientele so it will be more, most likely

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We are using Google Apps. Its free to all users. we really happy with it.

Google Apps for Business | Official Website
    I thought Google Apps cost money, $50 a user per year.

Thank Post
    It does, the standard version allows up to 50 users for free though with caveats on functionality. (Google Apps Standard Edition helps groups build communities - Google Apps Standard Edition) - Though I suspect "businesses" may not be entitled but cannot be bothered to read the terms to check.

OK, if you are using Outlook will you be wanting Calendar sharing etc? (we're wandering into the realms of collaborative tools).

If not, you could run pretty much any old mail server set up and it would be absolutely fine for that small number of users.

At the risk of tipping the scales a bit why are you looking to leave your current solution, what does it not do?

I've used hMailServer on Windows for charity deployments (to provide internal mail where no internet connection is available) which auth's to AD and for a bit of mickey mouse software seems to work quite well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oops sorry my bad I did not read all of the message, So correct Live @ Edu would not be an option unfortunately.

You could have hosted mail from someone like Carl @ CS New Media who provides the Smarter Mail Service and can also do Exchange.

James.

11. Thanks to EduTech from:

CSNM-Carl (4th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    It does, the standard version allows up to 50 users for free though with caveats on functionality. (Google Apps Standard Edition helps groups build communities - Google Apps Standard Edition) - Though I suspect "businesses" may not be entitled but cannot be bothered to read the terms to check.

OK, if you are using Outlook will you be wanting Calendar sharing etc? (we're wandering into the realms of collaborative tools).

If not, you could run pretty much any old mail server set up and it would be absolutely fine for that small number of users.

At the risk of tipping the scales a bit why are you looking to leave your current solution, what does it not do?

I've used hMailServer on Windows for charity deployments (to provide internal mail where no internet connection is available) which auth's to AD and for a bit of mickey mouse software seems to work quite well.
    Well, I'm an idiot....We were looking to migrate TO a new server with the updated version of the software. NOT to migrate AWAY from our current solution.....My bad everyone. =/

Thank Post
    No drama mate, it's a good thread for the archives

Thank Post
    Take a look at SmarterMail it is one of the best Windows mail servers around in my opinion, it also has migration tools to move away from Merak.

There is also a free edition available which might be suitable for you requirements.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread