+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Configuring Desktops: default user; sysprep - ISSUES!! in Technical; Ok here is my dilemma. (apologies for the lengthy description, I’ve tried to keep it as short as pos!) I've ...

Thank Post

Configuring Desktops: default user; sysprep - ISSUES!!

Ok here is my dilemma. (apologies for the lengthy description, I’ve tried to keep it as short as pos!)

I've been preparing a new XP image to be deployed with ghost. I spend quite a lot of time tweaking the system so that the end user has a painfree experience as possible.
    To do this I create a local account on the machine, open up applications that cause problems when opened for the first time by a new user (e.g. Office 'installing' its self)
    Once I've finished getting that profile working properly I copy it over to the Default User directory.
    I then used to run Syspep on that workstation before taking an image of it for deployment.

I had been using this method of a few years now, however now, when I run sysprep and logon onto the machine after it has finished, all the configuration of the Default User account has been lost. I can log in as a new user, open word and the annoying installation box pops up drastically increasing the time it takes a student to log on and start working, along with the 'Personalizing Desktop' on logon
    I don’t have proof but I'm inclined to think a Windows update at some point is causing this issue.

I decided to have a play with mandatory profiles as there is no reason for the local profile to be changed or modified, all saved work is saved on a network drive.
    I did this by creating the profile on the same local machine as before then from the System menu, went to userprofiles and copied the profile to a network location. I then renamed ntuser.dat to ntuser.man.

I created a test account to try this on and the account pulled down the mandatory profile with no problems... it didn't however pull down the GPOs!
    I ran gpresult to see if they had or had not been applied, and to my astonishment it said that the policies HAD been applied when clearly they hadn't. I could access C drive, control panel.. everything.

I'm starting to run out of ideas, all I want is for staff and students to be able to log onto a workstation as quick as possible without windows trying to customise and install software each time an application is loaded for the first time.
    If the amount of time students spent waiting to log on and start working is added up over a year, it would equate to quite a considerable amount of time.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.
    cheers

Lee

Thank Post

Re: Configuring Desktops: default user; sysprep - ISSUES!!

Default user profile is overwritten with the Administrator profile during sysprep with XP SP2, there is a hotfix to turn this off and go back to the old method where it is not overwritten during sysprep.

Thank Post

Thanks for that.. I've just had to ring Microsoft to obtain the hotfix, god knows why you cant just download it.
    I hope they got my email address right when they patched me through to India.. I haven't recieved the fix yet!

Thank Post

I would also point out that when you copy profiles, you MUST MUST MUST use the GUI copy (ie My Computer, properties, Advanced, User Profiles Settings, (select profile to copy), Copy To, (enter or browse to target location), Permitted to use Change, Enter Everyone (for Default User profiles), OK, OK.

This is necessary for the permissions on the registry to be changed. I don't mean the file permissions on NTUSER.DAT. There are permissions INSIDE the registry that will not be altered if you just copy NTUSER.DAT using explorer.

Thank Post

Cheers for that.. I had been using the GUI method, but didn't realise it made changes to the registy.

I've now got the hotfix from microsoft and it looks to have solved my problem.. best get the image tweaked now!

cheers fellas

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread