+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Enabling Remote Desktop for certain users in Technical; Hi guys, Our Frog VLE (shudder) has this Secure Gateway thing that allows you to login from home and use ...
    Thank Post

Enabling Remote Desktop for certain users

Hi guys,

Our Frog VLE (shudder) has this Secure Gateway thing that allows you to login from home and use one of the machines in school by means of Remote Desktop.

Aside from the obvious pain that we're going to have to leave all of the desktop computers on in a computer room, I now need to look at giving student and staff users access to initiate remote desktop sessions to desktop computers. Not ideal but it looks as if this is how we're going to have to do it...without buying a big fat terminal services server.

Now, access to initiate RD connections is obviously in place for us Domain Admins so we can install software remotely etc, but how on earth would I go about allowing students to start RD connections to desktop computers in teaching rooms? When attempting to logon as a student user, I get the message "You do not have access to logon to this Session". Any ideas about where in AD I would begin looking for this kind of thing?

Any hints welcomed

Tom.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From memory, there is a security group called something like "Remote Desktop Users" or you can assign the right via GP.

Thank Post
    Hi Tom,

I'd think of the energy bill here and buy an entry level Terminal Server personally. (or a server with a few virtualised copies of XP on so it's only 1 system left on).

You can modify the "Remote Desktop Users" group which may help you in your quest. (Try this manually on a workstation first, start, run, control userpasswords)

If that works as you expect we can configure this in a GPO to modify this group with a group that your users are members of.

Think hard before leaving physical machines on, and think also of what happens if a student is off sick and uses the VLE to access a machine a student is trying to use in the class room itself?

Hope this helps.

Kim

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Hi Tom,

I'd think of the energy bill here and buy an entry level Terminal Server personally. (or a server with a few virtualised copies of XP on so it's only 1 system left on).

Think hard before leaving physical machines on, and think also of what happens if a student is off sick and uses the VLE to access a machine a student is trying to use in the class room itself?
    Already aware of this, it's a pants situation to be in, but we have already paid for this add-on from Frog, so it looks as if we're going to have to go with it anyway.

Had a look in AD but can't find a Remote Desktop Users group...What would I need to apply to this if I were to create one? (amateur hour, my apologies)

Kim- sent you a PM too

Thanks guys!

Thank Post
    Got your pm, will reply there and then we can bring the thread up to date when we have a solution

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread