+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Server 2003/ISA 2006 computer has been restarting unexpectedly in Technical; Hey everyone! Got a server here that's been chugging along great, nothing has changed to it, it's an ISA server ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Windows Server 2003/ISA 2006 computer has been restarting unexpectedly

Hey everyone! Got a server here that's been chugging along great, nothing has changed to it, it's an ISA server and it's configuration has remained the exact same. Recently, I walked into the server room and noticed the hard drive activity light was on for a long period of time, so I RDC'd into the server and noticed it was rebuilding it's mirror [Windows software mirroring, 2 drives]. I had a look through the event viewer and found that it had restarted. The strange thing is I had RDC'd into that server a couple days prior on Patch Tuesday and had a look for what it needed, but didn't install anything. It's uptime at that point was around 80 days, no problems. So I didn't think anything of it. But somehow within the last 2 days, the darn thing has restarted itself around 10 times, maybe more. The only thing I've noticed is that one of the disks in the software mirror has an exclamation point over it, so I'll replace that later today, but still, that shouldn't matter shouldn't it? That's the point of a software mirror, it should operate on one disk.

This is the only suspicious item in the event log:

The COM sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\EventLog.

Is that normal? I actually filtered the System for event ID 10026 which is the one above, and it looks to be normal, it's been occuring on every start up the server has ever had. So maybe it is the disk...who knows?

Thought I'd poll my favorite group of IT troubleshooters over here.

Thanks guys for any advice! I'll be doing the usual memory test and hard drive tests later today.

PS. Coincidentally...I woke up this morning, and my personal desktop, which has had 0 problems since I purchased it in January 2004...had an unexpected shutdown last night. Still trying to find the problem, but that's unrelated I'm sure.
    Last edited by link470; 16th July 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Came to edit this post so I could change the title and add a [SOLVED] tag but editing is turned off after a short period of time. It ended up being that failing mirror hard drive. I broke the mirror, swapped the drive, and we're good to go. No problems!

Man, took me way longer than I should have though. I had two dynamic disks in a mirror [software RAID 1] and I right clicked the problematic one and chose remove mirror. After that, the original mirror wouldn't boot [fun!] so I spent today doing lots of research. Ended up getting everything back by getting the good mirror disk plugged into my desktop with an IDE to USB converter, running a command line tool called TestDisk 6 which converted the disk back to a basic NTFS disk without damaging the files, which made the disk readable, and then I popped the drive back into the server, booted from the recovery console of a Windows Server 2003 installation cd, and then rebuilt the mbr using the fixmbr command. Everything worked perfectly, and I was able to boot from the hard drive after editing the Boot.ini file to not show the software mirror anymore. Beauty! Popped another drive in, converted both disks to dynamic, and rebuilt the mirror. Good to go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread