+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
Windows Thread, CC4 or Vanilla? in Technical; This is probably a noobie question - but im going to ask it anyway as im curious what is a ...
  1. #31

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    117
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    This is probably a noobie question - but im going to ask it anyway as im curious

    what is a cc3/cc4 or vanilla network? i have not heard the terms before

    thanks!

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    906
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    koryo vanilla is a pure windows server and client environment using active directory to manage and control various aspects cc3 and cc4 are community connect versions 3 and 4 which take the main services of AD give it a flashier GUI to allow someone whos not really up on MCSA or MCSE to perform network tasks ie a clued up ICT teacher etc.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    koryo vanilla is a pure windows server and client environment using active directory to manage and control various aspects cc3 and cc4 are community connect versions 3 and 4 which take the main services of AD give it a flashier GUI to allow someone whos not really up on MCSA or MCSE to perform network tasks ie a clued up ICT teacher etc.
    This is abit flamebait I m a vanilla IT Manager and the manager I had previous had a CC$ network without MCSE's and could run rings round me plus I dont have MCSE's and I can run a vanilla network plus anyone and their dog can do a MCSE if they revised the book

  4. #34

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    This is abit flamebait I m a vanilla IT Manager and the manager I had previous had a CC$ network without MCSE's and could run rings round me plus I dont have MCSE's and I can run a vanilla network plus anyone and their dog can do a MCSE if they revised the book
    I don't think the poster meant it with those intentions though. Let's face it. CC3 was designed to allow schools easy management without an IT team many moons - that was its purpose.

    My old gaffa forgot more than I know now and he was managing a CC3 network. By using CC3 it allowed him (as it does so many others) to get on with more important tasks.

    Personally, the trouble I've had with our CC3 here since coming, it would have been easier to have a Vanilla network installed - but that was down to colleagues messing with things not to be messed with before I started.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    906
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Not really iirsprint - I wasn't "dissing" either. Believe me, CC3 has been a god send since Advent took 6 grand off me promising a track through to MCSE and then disapearing up their own ass. CC just makes things easier to find.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    906
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    plus anyone and their dog can do a MCSE if they revised the book
    I could prove my dog is not capable of an MCSE

  7. #37
    jsnetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    887
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 134 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    I agree you don't need MS certs to run a vanilla network, those certs come in handy when applying for jobs mainly and not all that possess them have the relevant experience. Wish I had one though

  8. #38

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Can you tell me what's actually wrong with XP in an educational environment?

    In a time when we are all facing budget cuts I fail to see the need to spend taxpayers money replacing or upgrading decent working computers just to support an OS which is all style (in order to compete with Apple) and no substance.
    There's nothing wrong with XP. You've got the wrong end of the stick. Naturally we still need to replace machines over time, and when that time comes next year all we will be able to get is machines with Windows 7. XP won't be available, it's as simple as that.

    It's not a case of wanting to jump, more a case of being shoved by Microsoft.

  9. #39
    ajs
    ajs is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wigton, Cumbria
    Posts
    226
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    There's nothing wrong with XP. You've got the wrong end of the stick. Naturally we still need to replace machines over time, and when that time comes next year all we will be able to get is machines with Windows 7. XP won't be available, it's as simple as that.

    It's not a case of wanting to jump, more a case of being shoved by Microsoft.
    One way RM (and potentially other companies) could do it, is by selling a volume license of Windows 7 with every machine, and exercising the downgrade rights that come with that, but I imagine they won't do that without bumping up the cost of the machines (which in RM's case, isn't that cheap to start with).

    Make everyone move to Linux. That'll save money

  10. #40
    Galway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,434
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 322 Times in 230 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    Whats wrong with XP is that people use it as an administrator.
    In schools, the students are all locked down and are not admins so the issue really is not a problem.

    Sure XP lacks the bells and whistles of W7, but its got life left for school use.

  11. #41

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Make everyone move to Linux. That'll save money
    But will it? We moved our email from LA to internal using Zimbra. Great, it's free. Until you have to pull out money for the server and manage the system. Our solution is much more stable now, but it wasn't cheaper. I'd imagine the same with Linux clients - it would take additional training for most schools, extra setup, and extra training for staff/students. By the end of that it may be cheaper to stick with Windows.

  12. #42
    ajs
    ajs is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wigton, Cumbria
    Posts
    226
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    But will it? We moved our email from LA to internal using Zimbra. Great, it's free. Until you have to pull out money for the server and manage the system. Our solution is much more stable now, but it wasn't cheaper. I'd imagine the same with Linux clients - it would take additional training for most schools, extra setup, and extra training for staff/students. By the end of that it may be cheaper to stick with Windows.
    Sorry, picked the wrong emoticon! (Wasn't actually that serious)

    Despite being someone who uses Linux as much as possible, I wouldn't suggest using it in an education environment without putting in a lot of planning and thought beforehand. Even then I wouldn't expect to actually realise the benefits for a few years given how much training/extra hands-on work would be involved behind the scenes.

  13. #43
    ajs
    ajs is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wigton, Cumbria
    Posts
    226
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Slightly good news announced yesterday:

    Microsoft extends Windows XP OEM downgrade rights until 2020

  14. #44

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Slightly good news announced yesterday:

    Microsoft extends Windows XP OEM downgrade rights until 2020
    Yeah - saw that this morning. RM may have been saved........ but then again, it may not! lol

  15. #45
    IMDavies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Feltham
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Our CC3 network was running for almost 10 years with very few problems. So I'm opting for CC4



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vanilla network
    By KWestos in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20th January 2014, 09:13 PM
  2. CC4 or Vanilla?
    By BassTech in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th November 2010, 10:17 PM
  3. New Vanilla help!
    By KWestos in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th March 2009, 12:20 PM
  4. From Ranger to Vanilla
    By Zorba in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th March 2008, 04:49 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •