+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, CC4 or Vanilla? in Technical; Is this not slightly OTT as its only support for XP SP2 that stops if you have SP3 it carries ...
    Thank Post
    Is this not slightly OTT as its only support for XP SP2 that stops if you have SP3 it carries on for a while yet!

Thank Post
    Defo for vanila here and save a ton of cash. Only down side is getting IT staff with the skills already without spending loads of time training them myself!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    We are weighing the 2 options. We (Tech Team), are looking towards going vanilla. Management are thinking of moving away from RM, partly due to but, recently due to the "support" we have had.
    We have just transferred our Sims Learning Gateway to a LEA hosted solution, so has given us 2 nice servers to be our test beds (2xQuad Zeons)
    From managements point of view, if the Vanilla system can offer the same or better setup (printer management, RMTutor type apps etc) they are happy.
    As we dont have any CC4 or CC3 including CC4 licenses, upgrading to CC4 with 800+ clients, just on the client license cost was huge.

We have said though, it wont happen overnight, and we will need time to get a working solution, before we impliment onto the live network.
    Rm Tutor is Net Ops Netop: Secure remote control, classroom management & communication, but i use netsupport PC Remote Control Software with Remote Desktop, Linux and Pocket PC support.

There is a free basic monitoring called italc.

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    With M$ announcing recently they will stop shipping XP on new computers, what is everyones (who has a CC3 network) plans?

The way I see it is we have two options. We can upgrade to CC4 or move to a Vanilla network. Obviously it's no good being stuck as CC3 when all they ship is Win7 machines. What's your plan?
    RM will still ship machines CC3-ready as they supply a custom XP image and are (according to RM) therefore exempt.

RM article NWS1674842 has more info.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    RM will still ship machines CC3-ready as they supply a custom XP image and are (according to RM) therefore exempt.

RM article NWS1674842 has more info.
    That's great if you get all your hardware from RM and want to stay with an outdated OS for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    Is this not slightly OTT as its only support for XP SP2 that stops if you have SP3 it carries on for a while yet!
    Support for SP3 may carry on for decades as far as we know, however, licences are not available for XP as from next year. So what happens when we come to buy machines next summer and all we can get is Windows 7?! That's right - our network won't support that OS.

Not OTT at all - lets face it, XP is outdated, and so is CC3. This is possibly the shove a lot of people need to get their networks updated to a 'modern' OS - myself included

ajs

Thank Post
    That's great if you get all your hardware from RM and want to stay with an outdated OS for years to come.
    Lots of people buy machines from other OEMs (such as Stone, Dell) and have no trouble smartbuilding them onto the network. Having said that, it can be a PITA to get all the necessary drivers and this will undoubtedly become more and more difficult over time.

If it weren't for the cost (of upgrading and, particularly for the smaller primary schools, the cost of IT support) then I'd certainly try and push a few of my schools into moving away from CC3 (whether it be to CC4 or Vanilla).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @hightower:

Were going CC4, there I've said it now are you happy?

BTW ta for the tat pics very good and yes if you get better at it then I may take you up on it.
    Give Mags me best won't you, was looking forward to seeing you at the big meeting yesterday but you never went

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Lots of people buy machines from other OEMs (such as Stone, Dell) and have no trouble smartbuilding them onto the network. Having said that, it can be a PITA to get all the necessary drivers and this will undoubtedly become more and more difficult over time..
    We buy our machines from other suppliers, like Dell, and that's exactly my point. You won't be able to get these OEM licences from suppliers as from next year! You will only be able to get Windows 7, and as is the topic of discussion Windows 7 does not work on CC3.

Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @hightower:

Were going CC4, there I've said it now are you happy?

BTW ta for the tat pics very good and yes if you get better at it then I may take you up on it.
    Give Mags me best won't you, was looking forward to seeing you at the big meeting yesterday but you never went
    There's some good stuff in there. Gonna hunt something tribal out for Dad for next week.

Next meeting I'll be at is the NM's that is arranged by the LA.

ajs

Thank Post
    We buy our machines from other suppliers, like Dell, and that's exactly my point. You won't be able to get these OEM licences from suppliers as from next year! You will only be able to get Windows 7, and as is the topic of discussion Windows 7 does not work on CC3.
    Must be the aircon I'm working next to which made me forget the distinction between images and licenses. ;-)

You could always use the money that you would've spent on CC4/Vanilla and use it to buy Windows 7 licenses under a Select Plus or School Agreement (or something) and then use the downgrade rights? But then that still leaves you using XP I guess, which is also part of the point of moving away from CC3.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @ajs:

We don't buy servers or workstations from them just the management and licenses for CC4 which at upgrade is good value for money given the tools with which to manage the vanilla system.

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @ajs:

We don't buy servers or workstations from them just the management and licenses for CC4 which at upgrade is good value for money given the tools with which to manage the vanilla system.

Sounds like a pretty good situation. I imagine that saves you a fair amount of money when it comes to server replacements/commissioning

Thank Post
    We will go CC4.

Thank Post
    want to stay with an outdated OS for years to come.
    ::shrug:: You lock most of that OS away from prying hands - it's what the applications (or some dependency) will run on that count.

It's officially alive until April 2014 and I reckon XP will remain do-able for perhaps a couple of years yet .. obviously subject to your licensing strategy, whether you're prepared to live with a smaller choice of new/replacement laptops (which I expect to have more XP driver[1] issues more quickly) and PCs.

I imagine this summer is mostly about long-since committed money, I think the answer to the question will be more interesting in 6 months time re. plans for Summer 2011.

[1] CC3 DOS floppy builds could be worked around if necessary.

Thank Post
    I get the distinct feeling @Bossman: wants a job with RM. You'd make a great sales person sir! Made even easier when you actually love the product you're selling!

Thank Post
    We had our RM guy down the other day and it seems RM will use a VLK in future to extend the life of XP/CC3 Networks. All obviously down to the financial uncertainty of schools at the moment. The only down side is each machine or laptop will need a full rebuild and the hope that RM can keep using components that have xp drivers

As for us I would love in 5 years time to have cut our servers down 50% with virtualisation on a CC4 network with all spankingly new machines on Win7

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast