+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows 2003 Server Redirect folder security change in Technical; On my server, each user has their desktop redirected to a Desktop folder inside their home drive. When the system ...

Thank Post

Windows 2003 Server Redirect folder security change

On my server, each user has their desktop redirected to a Desktop folder inside their home drive. When the system autocreated these folders, it also locked everyone except the user (even domain admin) from being able to read the folder.

Is there any way to make it where I can access the folders? I have tried changing the permissions, but it has not worked.

This would not be a problem, except that I am now unable to backup the files for Data Recovery dvds.

Thank Post

Re: Windows 2003 Server Redirect folder security change

You should still be able to backup and restore data even if you don't have access to it. If you are in the group "Backup Operators" which I think by default Admins are, then using NTBackup will still allow you to backup and restore files and folders which you do not ordinarily have access to.

Also, check that you are not implicitly denied somewhere on the permissions. I can't think of any other reason why you would not be able to access the folders after changing the permissions.

Tom

Thank Post

You need to forcably take owenership (and recursively through any subfolders) then add either yourself or an appropiate security group and again, apply the permissions recursively.

There's a policy setting for 'Add the Administrators security group to the roaming user profile share' you can set so profile directories are created a little more 'accessible' in the future.

Thank Post

There's a policy setting for 'Add the Administrators security group to the roaming user profile share' you can set so profile directories are created a little more 'accessible' in the future.
    I only found out about this policy recently and it has made my life so much easier as to permissons problems on profiles.

Thank Post

Thanks for the help!

I was able to fix the problem by forcing the Administrators group to have ownership of the folder, then adding full read/write access to Administrators group, then returning ownership to the user.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread