+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, SIMS a better way to run the program? in Technical; I was wondering if anyone has a really slick solution to the SIMS.net (pulsar.exe) problem. I'm looking to upgrade the ...
    Thank Post

SIMS a better way to run the program?

I was wondering if anyone has a really slick solution to the SIMS.net (pulsar.exe) problem.

I'm looking to upgrade the network soon and move everyone away from XP.

I'd like to remove the need for teachers to have administrative privileges to the workstation and the S:\ drive.

I've not used Terminal services before (not counting RDP) but I've seen 2008 Remote Desktop services can offer up programs remotely that look like they're running locally.

I also have Software Assurance and access to App'V but don't quite understand how to administer / use this program on my current 2003 domain.

I understand that with much fudging you can get SIMS to run on vista but it's hideous.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've just got SIMS here. I'm using a terminal server and thin clients to roll out SIMS.net to anyone who needs admin access and am wanting to use the Learning Gateway as the main UI for teachers.

I understand that with much fudging you can get SIMS to run on vista but it's hideous.
    Does that mean it doesn't run on Win7? Could be a little bit of a problem when needed...

Thank Post
    SIMS runs fine on Windows Vista - I've been using it myself on a daily basis for about a year! As far as running SIMS on Windows 7 goes, I understand that it also works fine - some of the schools I support are using it and I've not had any calls from them saying that it doesn't work (they definitely would've complained if it didn't). It must work otherwise Capita wouldn't support it (although I believe they only support 32bit clients at the moment).

In regard to not having to give the users virtually full access to the folders which SIMS uses... I don't think there is any way round that still.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They way SLG is going it will probably replace the sims client at some point in the future for most tasks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I'd like to remove the need for teachers to have administrative privileges to the workstation and the S:\ drive.
    Have a look at the simsperm.bat file and associated documentation. There's also this thread:

SIMS NTFS Permissions?

The QuickLetterTemplate.doc file needs to be editable by all but is stored in (of all places) the Program Files folder, so I have a copy in a seperate folder somewhere else and a script that periodically checks for updates to that copy.

I've not used Terminal services before (not counting RDP) but I've seen 2008 Remote Desktop services can offer up programs remotely that look like they're running locally.
    Sounds sensible - we still have a Server 2003 machine running TS here as that's all we had spare, but I suppose we might get it upgraded over the summer. There's a couple of threads related to setting up SIMS on TS:

SIMS under terminal services
    SIMS From Home running on a TS, setup help needed.

I don't know how many clients you're planning on, but you miught need a new server:

SIMS Terminal Sevices - Some advice please?

--
    David Hicks

6. Thanks to dhicks from:

chazzy2501 (5th July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread