+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, HP 2600n/2605dn Printing Problems in Technical; I've no idea why the IP went weird - I could ping it too which is what threw me completely ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    I've no idea why the IP went weird - I could ping it too which is what threw me completely as it seemed fine. I went back to the beginning and used a different IP out of sheer desperation. I was trying to sort of disassociate the printer from all previous arrangements to rule out any unseen issues, and for me, it worked (for now anyway)
    I would definitely do all the other stuff mac_shinobi suggests as well.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes

Thank Post
    I spent the whole day trying to solve the problems have been having with these printers and I got nowhere with it at all.

Here's what I did:

1. Deleted every single driver that is 2600n and 2605 PS
    2. Reinstalled with the latest x86 drivers obtained from the HP website, that supports both workstation and server (XP and 2003)
    3. Tried different IP addresses and ports

And what do I get for my troubles? Nothing. So, I then move on to the next step...

Got so fed up with it that I restored the VM image from a previous backup that I knew was working then. What happens? Jack all - printers still wouldn't work.

I figured I'd give the USB cable method a try and, when plugged into the workstation, it says it failed to recognise the 'device'. I thought okay I’ll try another workstation (and so on and so forth) that it proved my efforts were useless. So my idea of doing a firmware upgrade by using the very few USB cables I had lying around went right out of the window.

As a last resort I decided to quickly build a new 2003 VM. I did all the above mentioned and it still got me nowhere.

Different, unused IP addresses were pingable and the web console launched itself fine in the web browser. I'm now at the end of my tether and I was this close >.< to thumping those printers.

I now have what appears to be 7 usesless HP 2600n and 2605dn's. You can’t network them and you certainly can’t even plug n' play them. How chronic my failure today has been.

If anyone has any further suggestion I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Chuckster; 23rd June 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    http://www.partshere.com/Models/Q645...leshooting.pdf

PDF which should explain how to wipe network card settings and then re program them if that fails then a factory restore

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    I now have what appears to be 7 usesless HP 2600n and 2605dn's.
    But why do they all fail at the same time? Some sort of factory-set expiration date? Power surge / burst of cosmic rays?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Just to ellaborate it should explain how to wipe the memory off of the network card which helps on the Ricoh copiers so hopefully should fix the network printing issue - might be worth while looking through the pdf to see if there is a printer application that you can restart or something like that, possibly telnetting into the hp printer and seeing if there are any services you can restart ie LPR, RSH, DIPRINT etc

Thank Post
    Can you manually print out a sheet from the printers themselves? I've had it in the past where a printer has held a different IP one that it was assigned(and showing on the server), not quite the same as yours, but at least it would give you an idea if when your looking at the software interface it is the same as what is held locally?

Edit: Although all this shouldn't matter if you've done a factory reset of course so I've not really helped.

Thank Post

Unhappy

I've literally done it all - looked in the manual kindly provided by mac_shinobi. Did a factory restore through the console as well as in the printer menu.

I pressed and held down the Select (tick) and Cancel (X) button simultaneously together whilst switching it on and, although it did another factory reset, this didn't help, either.

Sadly the 2600n - not tried 2605dn yet - doesn't support LPR.

I don't know if there was a power surge and I don't even know if there's some sort of expiration date on these things. What I do know is the experience thus far has left me truly baffled by it all.

Thank Post
    I've literally done it all - looked in the manual kindly provided by mac_shinobi. Did a factory restore through the console as well as in the printer menu.

I pressed and held down the Select (tick) and Cancel (X) button simultaneously together whilst switching it on and, although it did another factory reset, this didn't help, either.

Sadly the 2600n - not tried 2605dn yet - doesn't support LPR.

I don't know if there was a power surge and I don't even know if there's some sort of expiration date on these things. What I do know is the experience thus far has left me truly baffled by it all.
    what about wiping the memory on the network card using the nvram super clear thing - screen grab attached but thats only the first half as the instructions go over onto the next page

Also if you assign it a static ip address information ( ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers ) versus dhcp reserved and also ensure date / time and time zone settings are correct as well as making sure if it has any information reference domain ensure its the fully qualified domain name in uppercase does that make any difference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th June 2010 at 11:16 AM.

Thank Post
    I did the nvram thing and that, too, got me nowhere. On some occasions there'll be a status displaying 'printing' in the jobs list, yet nothing gets spewed out. Otherwise a job will just instantly go through, and show that it successfully sent to the printer, even though nothing gets printed.

Another route I tried, since attaching a USB cable didn't work, was using a crossover cable. Needless to say, that was also fruitless.

What could possibly have got the printers to stop working? Can there be some sort of power surge through network cables?

It's day 3 and I don't know how to explain to the SMT in layman terms that we may have to look into getting some new colour printers in.

Thank Post
    Can there be some sort of power surge through network cables?
    The Power over Ethernet standard lets normal cat5 cable carry 5v, so power can obviously be transmitted over cat5, and of course through the mains supply to your printer. I've no idea how likely that is, though.

I don't know how to explain to the SMT in layman terms that we may have to look into getting some new colour printers in.
    Well, you seem to have tried pretty much everything - and, if it's any help, several other people (myself, Witch, at least) seem to have had similar issues with these machines.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Coming to this late but try using CD that comes with the machine on an XP client with you logged on as admin (don't use any updated driver) zand with the printer set to an unused static ip.

If it doesn't print from that either your network is up the creek or the printer is.

If it doesn't work, try sticking XP machine on same switch as printer and see what happens.

You've got yourself a beauty with this one but since several went at same time then occams razor says its your network and not the printers.

(Unless of course the printers have been dying for 12 months and they only told you about them when the last one went!)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    we have some of 2600n and we had the same problems with them we use them as stand alone printers now.

i want to try a jet direct network box on these to see if it makes a difference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    The Power over Ethernet standard lets normal cat5 cable carry 5v, so power can obviously be transmitted over cat5, and of course through the mains supply to your printer. I've no idea how likely that is, though.

Well, you seem to have tried pretty much everything - and, if it's any help, several other people (myself, Witch, at least) seem to have had similar issues with these machines.

--
    David Hicks
    I thought PoE was only with wireless where you didn't want electrical wiring sitting besides your access point, that would be easy targets for kids to pull and robb off with.. I don't think with my problem that was the case(?)

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Coming to this late but try using CD that comes with the machine on an XP client with you logged on as admin (don't use any updated driver) zand with the printer set to an unused static ip.

If it doesn't print from that either your network is up the creek or the printer is.

If it doesn't work, try sticking XP machine on same switch as printer and see what happens.

You've got yourself a beauty with this one but since several went at same time then occams razor says its your network and not the printers.

(Unless of course the printers have been dying for 12 months and they only told you about them when the last one went!)

regards

Simon
    Another one I tried was using a 24-port switch. Hooked up a clean Win 2003 SP2 server (installed on a workstation), a XP workstation and one of the printers to the switch. This switch is brand new and has never before been used until today. Installed the drivers and the printer to the server, added the printer to the XP workstation and still the printer won't print! It can be pinged, it's web console can be launched but the damn thing just doesn't want to print.

My network, on the other hand, is fine 'cause other printers - Ricoh (3 x photocopiers), Dell and Brother - all print. In the library there is a 5-port desktop switch shared between the HP 2605dn, Brother HL-1870N and a Ricoh photocopier, and the latter two carried on working as they should. But that HP didn't want to work, as do the rest of them, and thus I eliminated the fact that there isn't anything wrong with that particular switch.

Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    we have some of 2600n and we had the same problems with them we use them as stand alone printers now.

i want to try a jet direct network box on these to see if it makes a difference.
    A jet direct NIC is pretty pricey and I don't really want to risk purchasing one only to find out it didn't make a whole world of difference.

Thank Post
    Sorry to repeat but stop faffling with servers

Set up (using CD that comes with machine and following HP wizard - no clever shortcuts ) a single XP machine to print direct to one of the printers and see what happens.

KISS (But miss off the last S )
    Simon

BTW if one doesn't work - try another - pref one that you haven't rebuilt (or firmware updated) from scratch
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 24th June 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Thank Post
    I thought PoE was only with wireless where you didn't want electrical wiring sitting besides your access point
    Yes, quite right - I was just using PoE as an example to imply that cat5 cables can carry a current. If a power surge hit your school's power supply I suppose it might have travelled through the switch to your printers, frying some circuitry when it got there, but we're now wandering off topic somewhat.

A jet direct NIC is pretty pricey
    Do you mean a USB-pluggable print server, or a replacement network card for your printer? If the former, and you've already tried hooking the machine up directly to a Windows XP workstation via USB, then I doubt that's going to get you any further. If the latter then I didn't think the 2600dn had a replaceable network interface - it's a cheap-as-possible laser printer, no on-board print processor and has to use Windows to do any print processing. You could always try eBay for JetDirect cards, we get them off there for our 4600 lasers and 1100 inkjets for around £10 each.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast