+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Symantec Ghost Licencing in Technical; I have had occassion to use Ghost for UNIX version for over 2 years. There seems to be an issue ...

Thank Post

Re: Symantec Ghost Licencing

I have had occassion to use Ghost for UNIX version for over 2 years.

There seems to be an issue of ghost for Linux being accused of ripping off the codebase from Ghost for Unix. The author of Ghost for Unix makes a strong case of it, and the former author of Ghost for linux has left the scene. His product is now managed by another party.

In any case, G4U works quite excellently across the network. It's a boot disk, will image NTFS without a hitch. It boots up, sets up the nic card, gets a DHCP address and then you can send or receive the image to or from an FTP server ( I use freeware FileZilla).

Since it is unicasting and not multicasting, your speed at it's best when you do one machine at a time and gets progressively slower as you increase the number of machines accessing the network simultaneously. Of course, once you saturate the network, it gets unbearably slow.

I have imaged 160 GB drives with 12 gigs of data in about 20 minutes on a 100 Mbit network with little or no traffic after hours.

The major benefits of Ghost for UNIX is that it works on all file systems and it is 100% free.

Might well be worth giving a try and adding to your IT arsenal.

Thank Post
    I've just purchased Ghost Sol. Suite 2.5 and a bundle of client licences. I installed it on the server and then went through the rigmorole for getting the licence key. I got the keyfile and went through the registration procedure and Ghost Console now shows 70 clients registered but no server. I couldn't find any reference to the server licence key on the documentation so I contacted the suppliers. They told me that they had never sold a server licence and didn't believe that I would need one.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I've just purchased Ghost Sol. Suite 2.5 and a bundle of client licences. I installed it on the server and then went through the rigmorole for getting the licence key. I got the keyfile and went through the registration procedure and Ghost Console now shows 70 clients registered but no server. I couldn't find any reference to the server licence key on the documentation so I contacted the suppliers. They told me that they had never sold a server licence and didn't believe that I would need one.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    There isn't one for the server, it's just needed for console clients.

4. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

laserblazer (5th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Excellent thanks. I was a bit worried that in 30 days it would stop working at the worst possible time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12