+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Proxy on notebook reverts to wrong setting after home use in Technical; I have one teacher who regularly complains about his notebook being unable to access the Internet in school after he ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Proxy on notebook reverts to wrong setting after home use

I have one teacher who regularly complains about his notebook being unable to access the Internet in school after he has had it on his home broadband. He knows about unticking proxy to get his home access and reticks when in school. However, checking the settings I find that the proxy setting is reverting to that of a different school rather than the swgfl proxy I set it to.

Seems to be a problem lurking somewhere in our systems that affects a few users. We did have a Win 2003 server that had been set up by a local IT company and they also provide IT support for the other school.

In the past year we have had a new Win 2008 server with a new domain and all the settings I have found on that point to the correct proxy. Any ideas where to look for the wrong setting being picked up?

Thank Post
    Not sure where it's picking up the setting from, but to make your life easier feel free to use this script.
    Basically paste into notepad and save it so the file format is .vbs.
    When run it will ask for your current location and depending on the answer given, will change proxy settings accordingly. As you can probably work out, our proxy in school is just "Proxy:80" so simply change that to match your settings.

dim oShell
    set oShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

if msgbox("Click 'Yes' for School Internet Access" & (Chr(13)) & (Chr(13)) & "Click 'No' for Home Internet Access", vbQuestion or vbYesNo, "Internet Access Options") = vbYes then
    oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings\ProxyEnable", 1, "REG_DWORD"
    oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings\ProxyServer", "proxy:80", "REG_SZ"
    else
    oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings\ProxyEnable", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    end if
    msgbox "Please restart Internet Explorer for these changes to take effect", vbOKOnly+vbExclamation+vbDefaultButton2, "Changes Completed"
    Set oShell = Nothing
    You could also modify this and use it on startup through group policy to reset the proxy settings as required.
    Hope this helps until a solution is found.
    Dan.

edit: note that there has been a space added inbetween "Internet" on the REG location for some reason - just need to tidy that up.
    Last edited by smitho1990; 21st June 2010 at 03:35 PM.

3. Thanks to smitho1990 from:

speckytecky (21st June 2010)

Thank Post
    could you just put a fake entry in dns pointing wrongproxy.somewhere.net to the ip of rightproxy.somewhere.net?

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I had a similar problem and installed NetSetMan free and setup a Home & Work profile and had no problems since.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread