+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Dell Server in Technical; Not sure if this was the correct place to post this but here goes: Hi all, We Have Recently Purchased ...
    Thank Post

Dell Server

Not sure if this was the correct place to post this but here goes:

Hi all,

We Have Recently Purchased A New Dell Server 8) And It Has 3 Network Cards In, We Are Currently Only Using One Because We Are Unsure Of How To Bring The Other Ones Into Play, We Did Plug Them In Once But It Screwed The Network Until We Unplugged Them.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Thanks In Advance,

Messa

Thank Post

Re: Dell Server

Welcome!

The first possible cause of the problem that I can think of is conflicting IP addresses. Each network card should have it's own IP address that is unique to the server.

Do you use static or dynamic address for your network?
    My network is all dynamic address, except for server IPs, which are static. At one point, we had two computers on one IP address and this caused campus-wide connection problems.

What operating system does your server run?

Thank Post

You would normally use just one card, unless (if using Server 2003) you want to utilise NLB (Network Load Balancing) or use RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Service). You can also use multiple cards on a server for NIC Teaming under something like VMWare ESX Server.

If you need multi NIC routing, then this setup is ideal. Otherwise you would probably get away with just the one card (so long as it is gigabit).

Having said all of that, I could be wrong. It's not something I have played with that much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

What you could do if you wanted to be flash is to have the cards on different subnets - if you have a large network !! Or with a bit of mucking around you could use one card just for IP and one for netbui traffic.
    One on Token Ring and another on Ethernet too is possible [ I think ] or if the server is up to it, setup some virtual servers and use the other cards for those. Lots of options.
    The main use as Kingswood already said is for network load balancing. You should have installed or have a CD with the relevant software Dell use for this.

Thank Post

Hi Messa and welcome.

Could you post a little to say where you are coming from e.g

I'm a year 1 pupil who's been landed with this homework asignment

or

I'm a Senior Network Manager with 20 years experience

And some more info on what the server is being used for and its OS etc.

Because a simple answer to your question could be - don't worry about it - just because they've supplied you 3 network cards doesn't mean you need to use them

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Hi All,

I Wasn't Very Specific Sorry, i am an apprentice ICT Technician in a secondary school with 6 months experience but have been building computers and messing with networks since i was 12 anyway back to the problem lol.

The Server has 3 Gigabit network cards all computers use DHCP except the servers which have statically assigned ip's we have assigned each card an IP already its just it doesnt work out well when they are plugged in. This server is currently our Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP and File server ( For Utils Not Saves Area's).

Any More Help Would Be Great Thanks,

Messa

P.S. It's Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

Thank Post

DNS will be getting confused. You need to set up NIC teaming or similar on the NICs and make this a port trunk or whatever relevant terminology on the switch they are connected to. if you do want to do this I would probably use 2 as well.

Thank Post

Has Anyone Got Any Sort Of Links to pages how To Setup Load Balancing Or Similar Things like what ChrisH Said

Thanks

Messa

Thank Post

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323431

Should give you a head start on the TCP/IP configuration side of things.

Paul

Thank Post

Cheers Paul.
    Would i need to configure anything on my switches after this is done? i am using HP Procurve switches.

Thanks
    Messa

Thank Post

Probably- HP switches use the standard 802.3ad link aggregation control protocol (LACP) and also HP Trunking- but what you can do depends on your model of switch and available ports etc. Check with the HP site and download the manuals for your switches, and then take it from there.

I would suggest you take this slowly though- it isn't *that easy* and might disrupt your LAN if you get it wrong. Stick with one NIC while you learn what to do and then test it at a time when there isn't network usage taking place (half-term?). Document the steps you take too so that you can back out at any stage and revert to your original configuration.

Good luck!

Paul

Thank Post

Ok Cheers, i wouldn't have done it through term time anyway lol i was thinkin more february or easter half term we are doing other upgrades during this time including adding an extra 100 computers so i thought it might be a good idea to get these working.

Thanks for everyones help, i will let you of my progress and if i run into any problems i will let you know for everyones benefit 8)

Thanks Again!!!

Messa

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    What you could do if you wanted to be flash is to have the cards on different subnets - if you have a large network !! Or with a bit of mucking around you could use one card just for IP and one for netbui traffic.
    One on Token Ring and another on Ethernet too is possible [ I think ] or if the server is up to it, setup some virtual servers and use the other cards for those. Lots of options.
    The main use as Kingswood already said is for network load balancing. You should have installed or have a CD with the relevant software Dell use for this.
    Hi mattx, and welcome to EduGeek. I honestly didn't think anyone would ever mention NETBUI or token ring on here, and if anyone else is actually still using these I would be truly shocked!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Hi mattx, and welcome to EduGeek. I honestly didn't think anyone would ever mention NETBUI or token ring on here, and if anyone else is actually still using these I would be truly shocked!
    Not using it now - but in previous employment the network I helped look after was Token Ring. Far better than Ethernet in my opinion.
    You can't beat a bit of netbui - was the main protocol I learnt all about networks on many yonks ago....

Thank Post

@mattx
    They're all youngsters round here

XP is so yesterday

regards
    Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast