+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DNS Pointers pleeze in Technical; Just wondering if anyone can help me with setting up DNS to point to domains - how to do it ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DNS Pointers pleeze

Just wondering if anyone can help me with setting up DNS to point to domains - how to do it exactly.

I thought i'd nailed it the other day, but It didn't work.

Our school site was setup (before my time) with an imaginary domain name dreamt up by the ICT CoOrd. The _actual_ domain is something else entirely, and I wanted to set up a DNS entry to point straight to it, rather than referencing a DNS server offsite, in the interest of speed (and downtime headaches)

Thank Post

Re: DNS Pointers pleeze

Just create a new A record.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts

You talking about creating a DNS entry on a 2003 / 2000 server ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I created a new A record Chris - but yesterday, when the web went down - browsers hung looking for the proxy from that record.

Yes mattx - 2003 server

Thank Post

I think if there is a pointer in your DNS zone to your external (ISP) DNS server and also a host record in your forward lookup zone to your in-house DNS server that should do the trick. At least that's what I have done. If there is only one host record and it points to your internal DNS server and that has no exit DNS reference for zones it isn't authoritative for it won't let out the traffic. Resolution will hang, and there will be no internet access. I actually tried this just now on my VMs and it seems you do need some forwarding in there even though you have a local DNS server reference.

This might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323380

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks a lot Paul that clears it up a bit in my mind. (I did read it through a few times tho' )

We reference our site DNS server which then references the LEA DNS servers (x2). How do I know if our DNS server is authoritative - presumably it isn't as requests to the email box on our LAN hand when the link to the LEA goes down??

Our email is setup oddly anyway. on the LAN 172.16.57.5 points to http://schoolname.lea.sch.uk ...you can't use that address from outside the WAN, it doesn't exist (from outside the WAN https://schoolmail.schoolname.lea.sch.uk/ points to it).

Thank Post

No DNS server will go to it's parents for a domain it's authorative for.

If you have config'd your DNS server to be authoriative for foobar.com, then <anything>.foobar.com will be requested from that server and that's it. Any records requested for foobar.com that don't exist on that server will be replied to with a servfail. Obviously if you are making a server the authority for a valid internet domain that it isn't really the authority for on the global internet, any clients need to be explicitly configured for that server only or you will get conflicting results.

If you wanted to use the same real internet domain for internal requests, hosted internally AND for external requests from a different name server (i.e. your ISP) you can either:

1: Make your local name server authoriative for the whole domain and mirror all the external records internally (A, CNAME, MX etc) - hardly a 'clean' solution

2: Make your local nameserver authoriative for int.your.domain.tld or something, so proxy.int.your.domain.tld would be served internally, but the parent would be consulted for www.your.doman.tld and any other records outside of int.

3: Make your local nameserver authorative for record.your.domain.tld as seperate domains - so proxy.your.domain.tld would be treated as a domain. Again, not perfect but cleaner than mirroring an entire domain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread