+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, XP Pro select Volume License Key - Fails Genuine Validation in Technical; Hi, We have a Microsoft Master Select Agreement. We have used the same "XP Pro Select Licence Numer" on every ...

Thank Post

XP Pro select Volume License Key - Fails Genuine Validation

Hi,

We have a Microsoft Master Select Agreement.

We have used the same "XP Pro Select Licence Numer" on every install since 2002.

As of today we are getting:
    "This copy of windows did not pass genuine validation"
    "The product key found on this computer is not valid for use in your region"

I have called just about everyone in microsoft and no-one can help, just passed from department to department!!!

We have been given a new key by our licence supplier, but we have <500 installs using the old key.

Firstly does anyone know anyone I can talk to about the old key stopping working?
    Secondaly does anyone know if it would be possible to script the change and activation of XP seamlessly?

I hope MS will sort the old key, but im doubtfull as if you google "JG28K" you get the whole key from all over the world dating back 4 years!

Thank Post
    Hmm, didn't realise that code was so well known - hadnt bothered to google it

Out of interest who supplied the key in the first place? I know of atleast 1 company that did many of their network installs back in 2004-6 using this key(they're no longer around) I'd bet this will effect many schools

Thank Post
    Im not really sure as it was before my time, but I know it was given to quite a few schools in the area with their select agreement.
    Ive managed to script a new Key on login so all is now ok...

Just remembered staff laptops next....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Im not really sure as it was before my time, but I know it was given to quite a few schools in the area with their select agreement.
    Ive managed to script a new Key on login so all is now ok...

Just remembered staff laptops next....
    dont spose you have a copy of that script (sans code) do you as weve just started hitting the same bump im currently seeing if i can edit the sysprep in my wds files to our new code so when deployed they get our new one

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Pretty sure you can use VAMT 2.0 to administer volume activated XP installations, though the machines will need to be online when you run it.

Thank Post
    Use the VBS script below saving as ChangeVLKey.vbs , it doesnt need editing with a key or anything, then use a batch script (or another vbs) to call it with your key after it, eg.

ChangeVLKey.vbs XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

To test i downloaded Jellybean Key reader to see if the key is getting changed. I followed the MS guide on manually changing the key and chaged it baclk to the JG28K bad key, then tested the script with the new key a few times.

Script below:

Then to
    '
    ' WMI Script - ChangeVLKey.vbs
    '
    ' This script changes the product key on the computer.
    '
    '************************************************* **************************

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

if Wscript.arguments.count<1 then
    Wscript.echo "Script can't run without VolumeProductKey argument"
    Wscript.echo "Correct usage: Cscript ChangeVLKey.vbs ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PRSTU-WYQZX"
    Wscript.quit
    end if

Dim VOL_PROD_KEY
    VOL_PROD_KEY = Wscript.arguments.Item(0)
    VOL_PROD_KEY = Replace(VOL_PROD_KEY,"-","") 'remove hyphens if any

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonat e}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")

result = Obj.SetProductKey (VOL_PROD_KEY)

if err <> 0 then
    WScript.Echo Err.Description, "0x" & Hex(Err.Number)
    Err.Clear
    end if

Next
    Last edited by burgemaster; 10th June 2010 at 10:22 PM.

7. 2 Thanks to burgemaster:

Goatboy (11th June 2010), sted (10th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Oh dear if its the one I'm thinking of it wasn't the one issued by Ramesys was it as I've used that on hundreds of PCs in various of my cluster schools! EEK! I suspect its been that badly leaked its now on the MS blocked list

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    dont spose you have a copy of that script (sans code) do you as weve just started hitting the same bump im currently seeing if i can edit the sysprep in my wds files to our new code so when deployed they get our new one
    Was your key also JG28K ? or has this happened to various other VL keys?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Oh dear if its the one I'm thinking of it wasn't the one issued by Ramesys was it as I've used that on hundreds of PCs in various of my cluster schools! EEK! I suspect its been that badly leaked its now on the MS blocked list
    Ramesys is our supplier, but not sure if 7 years ago they supplied us this key
    Last edited by burgemaster; 10th June 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Was your key also JG28K ? or has this happened to various other VL keys?
    yup jg28k, i have got 3 others but id managed to commit that to memory. Should of known it would croak (2nd key weve had that has) as someone at work found it on a forum last week in a context that showed it was generally well known.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    join the queue someone at work has already had a school e-mailing about it so i can see the next few weeks being damage limitation
    Last edited by sted; 10th June 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmm, it seems strange that so many of us have the same key from different legit sources. I always thought these keys were fairly individual and should never be shared.

[Tinfoil Hat]Its interesting that it first appeared on the net in 2004 yet its taken until now for MS to blacklist it - I'd guess they didn't want to upset so many customers but can now use it to push everyone towards windows 7[/Tinfoil Hat]

Thank Post
    Bit gutting to see the key you've been so precious about for years pop up as a google suggestion when you type the first couple of letters. :/

We push our sysprep.inf in the $oem$\$1\.. folders on Windows DS so updating our image isn't a problem, but current installs are a likely PITA.

Thank Post
    We also have a VLK and experienced a couple of machines doing the same yesterday morning, however a restart yesterday afternoon has resolved the problem. Could it have been a problematic WSUS update that was fixed?

Thank Post
    If you are using the JG28K key I would advice that you update your key ASAP or you may soon be seeing the below at logon, which certainly wont look good on your dept!!!

Here are tested and working scripts I have used to change the key at login:

1) Create a new group policy linked to the OU containing PCs you wish to change key.
    2) Edit Computer Configuration / Policies / Windows Settings / Scripts / Startup
    3) Add the following VBS Script (after editting in your new key and the path to point to your netlogon):

Code:
    on error resume next
    Set objShell = wscript.createObject("wscript.shell")
    wscript.sleep(10000) '1 second
    objShell.Run("\\XXXXXXXX.local\netlogon\ChangeVLKey.vbs KEYKE-YKEYK-EYKEY-KEYKE-YKEYK"), 0

4) Save the following code below as ChangeVLKey.vbs to your netlogon folder (no need to edit)

Code:
    ' 
    ' WMI Script - ChangeVLKey.vbs
    '
    ' This script changes the product key on the computer.
    '
    '***************************************************************************

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

if Wscript.arguments.count<1 then
       Wscript.echo "Script can't run without VolumeProductKey argument"
       Wscript.echo "Correct usage: Cscript ChangeVLKey.vbs ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PRSTU-WYQZX"
       Wscript.quit
    end if

Dim VOL_PROD_KEY
    VOL_PROD_KEY = Wscript.arguments.Item(0)
    VOL_PROD_KEY = Replace(VOL_PROD_KEY,"-","") 'remove hyphens if any

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")

result = Obj.SetProductKey (VOL_PROD_KEY)

if err <> 0 then
          WScript.Echo Err.Description, "0x" & Hex(Err.Number)
          Err.Clear
       end if

Next

5) do a quick GPUPDATE /FORCE
    6) see if your key has changed by downloading and running "Jellybean Keyfinder"
    7) Check that your machine now passes the Windows Geniune Advantage" Checks at Genuine Microsoft Software and then click "Validate Windows"

16. Thanks to burgemaster from:

kevbaz (15th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No help for XP but this is part of the reason why Vista and Windows 7 use KMS for licensing - if your key leaks it's easy to change the key on the server and every machine gets a new key when it next makes contact.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast