+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, RAM Usage / Stress Test in Technical; We have a teacher who thinks the new laptop we have given them isnt that good, as it only sits ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

RAM Usage / Stress Test

We have a teacher who thinks the new laptop we have given them isnt that good, as it only sits at "60% RAM Use" when their laptops at home "Always use the full 100%"

Surely 100% RAM usage isnt a good thing?

I want to find some software I can run that will use up alll the RAM and run stress tests and produce some sort of output.

I dont really know what IM looking for really.. Just something I can reply with that isnt just my own explaination.

Or a web page I can point them to or something.. Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Surely 100% RAM usage isnt a good thing?
    It depends. Do you know how much RAM the teachers home laptops have and what OS(s) they are using? If they all have 512MB and are running Windows Vista then it's not surprising it is using 100% of RAM. 60% (or more) on a computer with 4GB RAM running Vista or 7 is perfectly fine.

If she wants to learn about Windows memory management I would point her to this article by Mark Russinovich which explains how it all works.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...stakernel.aspx

SuperFetch and standard Windows caching make use of all available physical memory to cache disk data.
    Last edited by Arthur; 8th June 2010 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A computer will always use a varying amount of RAM depending on what it is doing. If it is using 100% of its RAM at home then I would say there is a problem, perhaps with an app that requires school network connectivity. They can use task manager to see what app is swallowing up the RAM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    A computer will always use a varying amount of RAM depending on what it is doing. If it is using 100% of its RAM at home then I would say there is a problem, perhaps with an app that requires school network connectivity. They can use task manager to see what app is swallowing up the RAM.
    Thats what I think too. What I need is something concrete to show them rather than just my opinion (they are SMT)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    A computer will always use a varying amount of RAM depending on what it is doing.
    That's true, although if the computer isn't doing much at all then the RAM usage should stay fairly constant. Mine is currently hovering around the 3GB mark at the moment (out of a total of 8GB) while browsing the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    What I need is something concrete to show them rather than just my opinion (they are SMT)
    You could run RAM Map from SysInternals which will show you/them how Window is using the RAM. Get the teacher to run this too and you will be able to compare the results. SMT should like this since it has lots of pretty colours and numbers in it.

Thank Post
    Look to:

Upgrade the laptop to maximum memory.
    Service the laptop to remove all the bagage it has.
    Ask her to demonstrate the problem.

With a normal workload (not 50 things open at once) she might find it hard to show in reality, especially once she has turned limewire off.

Thank Post
    Heavyload from JAM Software if you want to show her the 'new' one using 100% if that's what she's saying it won't *ever* go above it but I'm not sure how that will help.

As above, establish the specs and explain to her that less overall memory utilisation is a good thing if her demands increase she has spare resources.

JAM Software - Windows Freeware <- From the nice people who make Treesize.

Thank Post
    IntelBurnTest is a good free stress testing program. It uses linpack to stress the CPU, and you can choose the level of stress to put the system through. the Maximum setting uses all available system memory and puts extreme levels of stress on the CPU. Its very good to measure maximum heat and cooling efficiency as well as to make sure your system is up to handling the most demanding of tasks for long periods.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...BurnTest.shtml

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread