+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Simple Simple Digital Signage Please! in Technical; Or you should try editing these two together to make it better. Cut & Paste Random Transitions Slideshow toby...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Or you should try editing these two together to make it better.

Cut & Paste Random Transitions Slideshow

toby

2. Thanks to glennda from:

rocknrollstar (3rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Cool, but I really need something that will play videos too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    for thats its starting to get complicated. The easiest way of doing it would be training the staff to use the xibo software. it is really easy and quite intuitive. ours are all run by the students apart from one screen which is our Nagios box

5. Thanks to glennda from:

rocknrollstar (3rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi Toby, thanks for your help on this. It hit me this morning as I woke up- I could just wrap the playlist.m3u that I made (see attachment on previous post), and then embed that playlist in a webpage. HTML code is:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML>
    <BODY>
    <OBJECT id="VIDEO" width="640" height="480"
    style="position:absolute; left:0;top:0;"
    CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"
    type="application/x-oleobject">

<PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="\\server\media\playlist.m3u">
    <PARAM NAME="SendPlayStateChangeEvents" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM name="uiMode" value="none">
    <PARAM name="PlayCount" value="9999">
    <PARAM NAME="Balance" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="DisplaySize" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="Mute" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="ShowDisplay" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="AutoSize" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="AllowChangeDisplaySize" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="AutoRewind" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="ClickToPlay" VALUE="FALSE">
    <PARAM NAME="CursorType" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="DisplayBackColor" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="DisplayForeColor" VALUE="16777215">
    <PARAM NAME="DisplayMode" VALUE="1">
    <PARAM NAME="EnableContextMenu" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="EnablePositionControls" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="EnableFullScreenControls" VALUE="False">
    <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="FALSE">
    <PARAM NAME="BufferingTime" VALUE="5000">

</OBJECT>

</BODY>
    </HTML>

Obviously some values need to be chaned etc, but seems to work, wven with UNC path.

Will stick it into Xibo now and have a play

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Ok, I have now worked it all out. I am using Xibo, which is great. I'm able to dump any type of media in a folder, then run a batch file, which updates the playlist and restarts Xibo auotmatically. I also put a powerpoint on Xibo to show a welcome screen and notices, and put the file on a shared folder, so the admin team don't need to use Xibo at all, they simply can edit the powerpoint, then restart Xibo with the click of a button. Like it!

If you want to know how the above was acchieved, let me know, and I'll post instructions.

Thanks again for everyone's help

8. Thanks to rocknrollstar from:

gumbygaz (4th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Digital Signage Software Over The Internet - Cignage Company

These guys offer free cross platform software albeit limited in it's free form, but you can admin from their website multiple devices. They even have an iphone app now. I don't know if thats included with the free subscription though.

Thank Post
    Sounds a perfect solution! Been thinking of ways for Xibo to be an easier process for Admin staff to quickly update etc, this seems it! Will have a bash at it, if struggle may come back for those instructions!!
    Cheers already for the point in the right direction!

Thank Post
    Just found this thread and sounds like exactly the sort of thing that i am after!! Have got Xibo up and running on an XP PC using XAMPP and running everything locally for now.
    What i also wanted to do was to have a folder somewhere that the Head can just dump pics into which will then update on the display using Xibo. The idea of a webpage linked to this directory sounded perfect but just a little unsure on how to go about it???
    If anybody could help that would be great?!?...or better ideas perhaps as this was 4 months ago so maybe it has been fine tuned?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Ok, I have now worked it all out. I am using Xibo, which is great. I'm able to dump any type of media in a folder, then run a batch file, which updates the playlist and restarts Xibo auotmatically.
    At the risk of sounding like a lazy leech, is there any chance you could make this batch file available to download?

I could probably knock one together myself, but it seems daft to reinvent the wheel

Kind regards,
    Gerard

Thank Post
    Hi Gerard,
    I've attached the bits and pieces I've used for this, and will try and write something that it understandable to get this done:

1) Create a shared directory to dump media files into. call \\server\media

2) Copy the 'showit.bat' file into this directory

3) Running it produces playlist.m3u which can be played in windows media player or otherwise.

4) Create a webpage with the code shown in a previous post (a reply to Toby). Can store it in the same directory still, call it display.html

5) In Xibo, create a layout page that is a full screen webpage, and the points to \\server\media\display.html

6) Attached in the zip file are batch files to stop and start xibo client. Needs adapting to call the 'showit.bat' file remotely.

7) I also worked on using a powerpoint in Xibo, which could be updated on a shared location, and then use a batch file to start and stop the xibo client remotely. Meant that staff didn't have to bother with xibo. Trick was to call the powerpoint the same name as xibo gave it (e.g. 26.ppt), and then copy over the powerpoint to the xibo client 'cache' on the display machine, then restart the xibo player.

Again, two different options. You could even combine both by including a powerpoint and a webpage in the the layout template with Xibo server.

Hope this helps. Been a while since I've done it. The attached zip file will help, although it's not an out of the box solution.

Attached Files Attached Files

14. Thanks to rocknrollstar from:

gerardsweeney (27th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Top man! I'll keep a copy of this safe for some R&D time.

Thanks.
    Gerard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duncane View Post
    I've been looking at Concerto - it doesn't do video yet, although according to the blog it should be coming soon.

It's open source, and multiuser - you can set up feeds that users can submit text and graphics to, and moderate them before they're displayed. It's geared up towards a central server with multiple client machines connected to displays - but I'm looking at putting both on the same machine because we've only got a single display. (I'm not sure whether this is possible, but if you could display a web page as a screen saver, you could co-opt all the school's PCs into being digital signage! )
    Old post I know but :
    i like the look of Concerto but the Concerto instructions assume knowledge of Linux and go straight into "do this" "Load that". Does anyone have any step by step instructions on how to set the whole thing up from scratch?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Old post I know but :
    i like the look of Concerto but the Concerto instructions assume knowledge of Linux and go straight into "do this" "Load that". Does anyone have any step by step instructions on how to set the whole thing up from scratch?
    I've not used Concerto but talking from Linux experience, I'd say that'd be a terrible idea anyway... it'd be much better if you learned how to do what it was asking you to do, rather than following a step-by-step guide, as there is very little chance there'll be a step-by-step guide to fix it if something goes wrong! That's the nature of Linux I'm afraid.

18. Thanks to LosOjos from:

fiza (22nd May 2011)

Thank Post
    if you want pictures and video playing with a centeral place for teachers to dumb look at Win 7 with windows live gallery on then just change the folder redirection to a shared folder? dunno how often it updates but myabe worth looking at.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I've not used Concerto but talking from Linux experience, I'd say that'd be a terrible idea anyway... it'd be much better if you learned how to do what it was asking you to do, rather than following a step-by-step guide, as there is very little chance there'll be a step-by-step guide to fix it if something goes wrong! That's the nature of Linux I'm afraid.
    Thanks - I took your advice and started from scratch. Took me a day or two but I managed to install Ubuntu Server with GUI and then Concerto on top. Wasnt that difficult after all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12