+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Mandatory Profiles & Application Data in Technical; Currently we're running 2000 Server with 2000/xp clients - looking to upgrade to 2003 / 2008 R2 and all XP ...

Thank Post

Mandatory Profiles & Application Data

Currently we're running 2000 Server with 2000/xp clients - looking to upgrade to 2003 / 2008 R2 and all XP clients.

However, I'd like to establish mandatory profiles for students - I have followed the how-to in the wiki with only a few issues. We use the Serif suite as part of our core software which requires write access to the users %appdata%\serif folder. Also having some issues while adding network printers.

Could anyone advise the best way to overcome, is re-directing the Application Data folder for each user a wise move?

Thank you,

Andy

Thank Post
    With our mandatory profiles we dont we direct application data, which means it uses the local application data on the computer.. We have the serif suite too, only recentlly changed this over from roaming and it seems to be working with that (I believe)

Thank Post
    So you have a single mandatory profile, user logs in and it's copied to the machine. User has control over the application data folder & is destroyed on log off?

Thank Post
    It doesnt get destroyed, just deletes the changes I believe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    It doesnt get destroyed, just deletes the changes I believe
    You believe wrong. Unrelated article containing clue.

Thank Post
    P-Dave I'm interested in your setup in more detail if possible?

The mandatory profile (is it super mandatory / end in .man)?

When creating the mandatory profile - do you login with amdin credentials and run everything through?

What folders within your profile are redirected (and is this per user with write access or are they all redirected to a single read-only resource)?

Sorry for the questions, seems you have the ideal setup (for us) if you're using Serif and not having any issues!!

Thank Post
    Nope we are having problems, didn't know about it before... Ok not brothered about xp anymore, were going totally windows 7 when the rest if our new computers arrive this week or next.

All I have done now, install all the student software in our windows 7 image. When I done the image, I put the computer on the domain and logged in has a student with no policies enabled. Then I ran all the software i installed, also ran Internet explorer and wmp to do the setup and setup the background.. Last three things seems not to work through.

After that I used windows enabler and made it copied the profile to c:\profiles and the set the correct security permissions on the folder and the set all the domain user to that path for their profile...

Correct me anyone if I have done this right, this would be great

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    Nope we are having problems, didn't know about it before... Ok not brothered about xp anymore, were going totally windows 7 when the rest if our new computers arrive this week or next.

All I have done now, install all the student software in our windows 7 image. When I done the image, I put the computer on the domain and logged in has a student with no policies enabled. Then I ran all the software i installed, also ran Internet explorer and wmp to do the setup and setup the background.. Last three things seems not to work through.

After that I used windows enabler and made it copied the profile to c:\profiles and the set the correct security permissions on the folder and the set all the domain user to that path for their profile...

Correct me anyone if I have done this right, this would be great
    with the background image did you just use of of the ms listed ones if so you need to use it from it real location not the one it uses by default

does that work having a profile path on a local drive rather than \\server\whatever? because that sounds like a good way of doing ts mandatory profiles saves pulling it from the same machine via its \\tserver address

Thank Post
    yer its on the local drive, we had too many problem with profiles not loading from the server, that way its problery quicker for wireless too. So its a local mantory profile, also the startmenu and desktop icons work from that profile, that havent got to redirect that. But I do redirect the desktop, because for someone reason they can save and delete

For the desktop i pasted the icture file the the root of the c drive, is that no good?
    It has to be where all the other windows default backgrounds are saved? (C:\Windows\Web) Is that what you mean?

Thank Post
    This is starting to annoy me!

Loaded the registry hive onto my computer and took out the username that I used to create the profile everywhere in the hive I loaded and replaced it with %username%

Now everytime I start serif I keep getting cant find c:\users\%username%\thenwhatever

So the %username% variable is not working, how am I meant to do this then?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread