+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Exchange 2010 in Technical; Current situation: Initialisation failure - so I think Exchange needs to be uninstalled. But this server holds the OAB so ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2010

Current situation: Initialisation failure - so I think Exchange needs to be uninstalled. But this server holds the OAB so the wizard is complaining. Is there a way to move that back to the 2003 server without using either the console or Exchange Powershell?

Thank Post
    What I have been advised to do, by the LA guy who came this morning, is move Exchange onto another server that is not a DC. I have another VM all prepared for this however I don't think I can just install on that without taking Exchange 2010 off the first one.
    So it looks like the whole 2010 Exchange installation has gone bad. Exchange Management Console will not open on the 2010 server. Exchange Powershell console cannot connect to the Exchange server. I have successfully uninstalled the Client Access Server, but the uninstall wizard complains when trying to remove both the Mailbox server and the Hub Transport server. The system management tools on the 2003 Exchange server cannot change anything as it needs the newer version. I've Googled the issue but all the references that I can find on ADSIedit are looking at an older version also. That is the Configuration node - which is not there on the 2008 R2 one. All I have on the new server are the AD OUs and CNs.

Help please, feel like I'm going round in circles and getting absolutely nowhere.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Exchange should never go on a domain controller.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Correct your asking for trouble going down this route. Both AD and Exchange have high process and memory utilization and require a box of their own, the performance hit having both on the same box would be massive!

A quick google found one of the major flaws of doing so.

It may take approximately 10 minutes for the server to shutdown. This is because the AD service (LSASS.EXE) shuts down before the Exchange services, and DSAccess will go through several timeouts before shutting down. The workaround for this issue is to manually stop the Exchange services (specifically the Store) before initiating a system shutdown or restart.

D

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not that it helps to much with the OPs issue but Exchange 2010 is designed to be far less integrated with AD and although it is best practice to not install it on a DC it is possible and does function even with 2003. The shutdown issue is knowen and not that serious as at worst it adds 10 minutes to a shutdown. Whatever caused the issues it is unlikely to be due to the host being a DC.

As to the OAB I am unsure of how Exchange 2010 stores this information but given Exchge 2010s mostly hands off policy with AD it is probably not located on there. Exchange should be able to regenerate a new list once it is up and running again from the account information in its database and publish that so with some luck it should be sorted after the reinstall.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Whatever caused the issues it is unlikely to be due to the host being a DC.
    Actually it's all to do with it being a DC.

The slow shutdown occurs because the Active Directory related services shut down before the Exchange services, thus causing the Exchange services to fail repeatedly while looking for the DS. You can solve the issue a few ways, changing "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\WaitToKillServiceTimeout" from "60000" to "20000" or by manually stopping the exchange services below.

net stop MSExchangeES
    net stop IMAP4Svc
    net stop POP3Svc
    net stop RESvc
    net stop MSExchangeSRS
    net stop MSExchangeMGMT
    net stop MSExchangeMTA
    net stop MSExchangeIS /Y
    net stop MSExchangeSA /

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Actually it's all to do with it being a DC.
    I was talking about the OPs problem which was what this thread was about, I should have been more clear with my paragraph structure. You are correct that the specific issue that you were talking about was to do with a machine being a DC. I doubt that this issue affects a 2010 based server though due to its more standalone nature, anyhow I have had several sites that ran Exchange 2003 on DCs due to lack of other servers with no ill effects (short of the shutdown one) for years till they could be upgraded.

Thank Post
    It's hardly a noticable issue anyway as when do you really ever need to shutdown a serer often enough to notice a ten minute delay?

D

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice on Exchange not being installed on a DC - I am aware of that although the 2003 installation is on a DC as at the time of installation that was the only server in the domain. Has given excellent service in all that time with very few slow shutdowns.

Back to the original query - last night I found an article which stepped me through a manual uninstall. Today I have installed on another VM and, as Synack said, it has picked up all the details from the 2003 server. I haven't finished the install yet as there is no mailbox database visible in the Management Console, Client Access Server will not install and I still have to "replicate the Free/Busy/Schedule info to all servers in the domain". Mailboxes are correctly recognised on the 2010 as either User Mailbox or Legacy Mailbox so I haven't lost any of those. More work this evening testing the connections etc. Watch this space .... or not as you please.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    It's not recommended (eg if you dcpromo the DC so it's no longer a DC then all sorts of things will stop working) but it's perfectly possible to do it and it's even support by MS under some circumstances - they will happily sell you Small Business Server (or whatever the new name is for it) which puts everything including the kitchen sink on the same box!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    It's not recommended (eg if you dcpromo the DC so it's no longer a DC then all sorts of things will stop working) but it's perfectly possible to do it and it's even support by MS under some circumstances - they will happily sell you Small Business Server (or whatever the new name is for it) which puts everything including the kitchen sink on the same box!
    Correct, SBS 2008 has everything, AD, DNS, DHCP, FSMO roles, Exchange and bells and whistles all roled into the same box, It's a clever piece of kit, but no good for schools!

D

Thank Post
    Dont know if this helps at all (I've setup a multi server exchange 2010 deployment with no existing exchange deployment in the domain) but have you been through this:

Exchange Server 2010: Exchange 2010 Help

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post
    This is a definite case forward for running virtualised servers, and being able to snapshot them, before undertaking massive changes like installing/upgrading exchange. As others have said, I would not recommend running Exchange on a DC box...
    If I were you, look at going down the route of ESXi if possible (hardware needs to support it). This has been the biggest benefit, since we can try things out, with no real risk of doing any long term damage.

HTH a bit...

Thank Post
    Well I've had a lovely holiday with fresh air, sea, sand and all the other things. Now back to the grindstone ... Today I shall be mostly blowing away yet another VM, and yes they are a 'good thing' for learning the hard way. Thinking out loud here - is it possible to install Exchange and have it ignore the 2003 install?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Thinking out loud here - is it possible to install Exchange and have it ignore the 2003 install?
    Can you elaborate a little more??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast