+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MCSE training. What? Where? And how much? in Technical; I've been given some money to get some training (I've been on at the SMT for a year). So the ...

Thank Post

Question MCSE training. What? Where? And how much?

I've been given some money to get some training (I've been on at the SMT for a year).
    So the question -
    A) What should I do?
    I though MCSE in Server 2003 (which we have) or 2008 (which I'd like to move to), and maybe XP for completeness?

B) How?
    A weeks course? Or just buy some books? (but which books?)

C) Who to do the exams with?
    Any recommendations?

D) How much should this cost?
    I've seen some wild figure in my searching...

I think that's it for now?

bio
    Thank Post
    I can't answer all questions since i am not in the UK but i'dd recommend to go for windows 2008 right away. Most 2003 items will be included as well. If finished you will have an up2date certification. Regarding the books : stick with mspress !! they are closest to the source. In my experience they are right on the money if going for MCITP

bio..

Thank Post
    I'm going the new MCTS and MCITP route now in win 7 and server 2008 - if your a self learning like most techs (imo) then just get the Ms training kit and the administrators pocket companion will cost about 50 per pair of books. The exams cost 88... but with the MS training kit you get a small discount. so 140 per exam and about 100hrs of time per exam IF your working on the tech during the day.

Thank Post
    Just read the Amazon reviews for the MS Book Win7 book "MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7", it seems pretty poor, there's even an MS KB to cover errors in the book... eek.
    Anyone got suggestions for a replacement?

Thank Post
    If you have the time and hardware, i would recommend self study as well.

I was able to get my current workplace to pay for books and exam fees for my MCDST cert.

Thank Post
    If you only do one thing this week, take my advice!. Get yourself a testout mcse course. 50 hours of video, notes, tutorials ,sims and practise tests. Better than any training course and make sure work give you at least a week off to study the material. Dont do the server 2008 courses yet, simply because the xp/2k3 training track was based on job, (mcdst = 1st line desktop, mcsa = network admin, mcse = network engineer) the new track is based on technology (mcitp:est , desktop tech, mcitp:sa server admin, mcitp:ea enterprise admin, mcitp:va virtalisation admin). Do a MCSA first, the mcse is overkill for all but those who will design multi domain networks. Once you've done the MCSA then consider upgrading your skills to the MCITP:SA .

Ms press books will give you info for the exams , but they're boring and biased and dont give you real world knowledge. Use testout, possibly cybex books and something like cbt nuggets. all of which can be picked up second hand or even available as free demos. look on forums like techexams.net and certforum.co.uk

Thank Post
    Boooks and self-study are great but if you lack the discipine to actually learn alone they're a waste of money. I recently did my
    MCSE with Firebrand. It took 2 weeks and although I was totally knackered after it, I came away with the full cert as well as a wealth of lab work and real-life scenario building. Thanks to the instructor who stayed up with us long into the night. Not for the faint-hearted but if you're serious about getting your MCSE and have some prior experience they are the guys to use.

Thank Post
    If you have experience then self study. If you are fairly inexperienced then courses are good but not these boot camp jobs. By self study I mean books, videos (CBT Nuggets etc) and some kind of exam practice.
    I am a 2000 MCSA and I am currently updating to MCITP Server Administrator then maybe Enterprise Administrator. There are other ones you might consider depending on your experience like the Enterprise Desktop Administrator. I like the content of one of those exam requirements such as WDS etc.

Thank Post
    I'm currently booked to do the 70-680 next month, you really just need the MS book MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7 and comes with practice tests. No need to buy anything else as there is loads of free stuff on the net. Bibble-IT.com | My collection of Sys-Admin workarrounds and tips is one I'm currently looking at. Of course a decent spec machine and some virtualisation to get the practice in.

Thank Post
    MS Press would get my vote to - got me through Hyper-V.
    Best word of advice is practice practice and practice - use the questions provided on the CD (included with the books) and learn the answers to those questions like the back of your hand. They won't be the same as the ones in the exam but it puts you in good preparation for it.

Thank Post
    I am currently doing the MCITP with ICS. Seems to working well for me so far. My first course too, woohoo!

Thank Post
    I have always used MS press books but that 70-680 seems to be in need of a serious revision as there are a lot of mistakes in it according to reviews on Amazon etc. Here is the official Microsoft list of corrections. MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7 comments and corrections
    Last edited by ChrisH; 25th June 2010 at 11:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    MS Press would get my vote to - got me through Hyper-V.
    Best word of advice is practice practice and practice - use the questions provided on the CD (included with the books) and learn the answers to those questions like the back of your hand. They won't be the same as the ones in the exam but it puts you in good preparation for it.
    Just to add to this, do lots of practice exams as you need to get use to the way that they ask questions. They will try and catch you out on some questions so read them twice before you answer and keep checking through if you have time left.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread